• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bruno Putzeys Balanced Preamp - Group Buy Part 2

Hypex were packaging up the rather large order this morning so should be with the courier today and arrive later this week :)

On a more serious note, we do need to confirm recommended power supply for this. I do have a small personal concern with the HxR regulators: the latest spec has a much reduced power allowance which seems a bit strange, and I know some who use them have had issues recently.

I'd have to check and believe the current requirements for the SMD version of the LM4562 is rather low, so hopefully there won't be any issues driving 4x LM4562 per regulator pair...

The last thing I want is this to be an issue of course, so I hope I can get some reassurance that everything will be fine.

Jan, do you know if you can ask Bruno regarding the power supply and regulator points? As it isn't a sanctioned "Hypex" product per se, I can't ask them myself...

B.Putzeys is the designer and he specifies the regulators.
He is also the retailer of these regulators.

Surely that means the newer regulators are still suitable for the attenuator.
But worth asking the question.
I know Andrew, it's just that the latest batch seem to have a more limited regulation capability, and a new datasheet dated 1st April this year has been released detailing these changes.

The pre-amp design is before of course.

Hopefully, it's a non-issue here.

Hyped store says:

ELECTRICAL FEATURES:
- Max. input voltage: 60V
- Output voltage: -12V
- Max. output current: 600mA
- Power dissipation: 2W
- Output impedance: 50mOhm
- Ripple rejection: 110dB
- Output Noise Voltage: 290nV

??
Those values are a little hyped :p

The old datasheet says for absolute maximum values:
Input voltage: 60V
Output current: 600mA
Power Dissipation: 2W

However, the newer datasheet for the same absolute maximum values states the same values except for Power Dissipation which is now halved to 1W.

There's an additional note which wasn't present in the previous datasheet:
"Please design your application in such a manner that the power dissipation of the HxR will not exceed
the given values. The thermal dissipation can be calculated using the following formula: (Vin – Vout) * Iin"

In addition, there's a Thermal dissipation under general performance data which says typical 0.5W, max 0.75W. This wasn't specified in the earlier datasheet at all.

So the reduced power combined with the new note to really point it out shows that it's easy to go over this limit without asking it to do something unreasonable.

Looking at the LM4562, the input current is pretty constant for a given voltage regardless of load - around just under 10mA with a +/- 12V supply. So that means around 40mA with four ICs. Which would equate to around 0.25W dissipated assuming an 18V supply to the regs, so I guess we're OK...

Do we have a recommended design for the power source?

What is the dropout now again?

//
Sorry, not sure what you mean. Audio level? People on the group buy?

Anyone have a BOM for the mouser/digikey parts list for the SMD pre-soldered board? Even better if they're doing the 6 input board too.
I have a Farnell one if that helps - the same BOM list I supplied to Quick Circuits for the assembly.

From the latest datasheet, the recommended values are:
Min: 15V
Typical: 18V
Max: 25V

The absolute max is 60V, but I think we want to stay as close as possible to minimum to minimise voltage drop which translates to the thermal heat and the potential issues.

Attached a BOM too. There are two tabs, the original BOM with MELFs, and a revised tab with MELFs only where necessary and swapping the TL72 with another LM4562 due to noise.

Attachments

• hypex-preamp-BoM.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 126
I am confused by the mention of design for a power source.

I was going to use a small transformer from the spares box, 230v primary (mains) to 15-0-15v secondary
(6 VA per winding) connected to J6 on the pcb..

Rectification provided by the on board D1 to D4 (RSD1) smoothing by the on board C12 to C15 & R26,R28 and regulation by Hypex U4 & U5.

Is this too simplistic?

for a 1W limit on the regulators take care to check actual current consumption of the boards and determine actual regulator dissipations.

eg +-18Vdc supplied from a nominal 12-0-12Vac transformer and passing 60mA through the regulator one ends up with (18-12)V * 0.06A = 0.36W, well within the 1W permitted.
Using a 15-0-15Vac transformer increases dissipation to ~0.63W
I'd suggest we don't use an 18Vac transformer.

Those values are a little hyped :p

The old datasheet says for absolute maximum values:
Input voltage: 60V
Output current: 600mA
Power Dissipation: 2W

However, the newer datasheet for the same absolute maximum values states the same values except for Power Dissipation which is now halved to 1W.

There's an additional note which wasn't present in the previous datasheet:
"Please design your application in such a manner that the power dissipation of the HxR will not exceed
the given values. The thermal dissipation can be calculated using the following formula: (Vin – Vout) * Iin"

In addition, there's a Thermal dissipation under general performance data which says typical 0.5W, max 0.75W. This wasn't specified in the earlier datasheet at all.

So the reduced power combined with the new note to really point it out shows that it's easy to go over this limit without asking it to do something unreasonable.

Looking at the LM4562, the input current is pretty constant for a given voltage regardless of load - around just under 10mA with a +/- 12V supply. So that means around 40mA with four ICs. Which would equate to around 0.25W dissipated assuming an 18V supply to the regs, so I guess we're OK...

Do we have a recommended design for the power source?

The datasheet was not correct. The 2W comes from the following: If you for instance draw ~100 mA with ~20V input from the HxR, one will draw 1200mW and dissipate 800mW. Together this is 2 Watts. The term 'power dissipation' was incorrectly used here.

You can easily calculate how hot your HrX will become using your ambient temperature, the thermal resistance and the power dissipation. For instance: (125 C Tjunc - 50 C Tamb) / 105 RθJA = 714 mW dissipation.

With 40 mA output and 18V input your will dissipate 240 mW. With 50 Tamb your HxR should be around (105 RθJA * 0.240 W) + 50 = ~75 degree Celsius. Correct me if i'm wrong...

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Audio level? People on the group buy?

I have a Farnell one if that helps - the same BOM list I supplied to Quick Circuits for the assembly.

Thanks- but looking for the other parts :) checking lead spacing and such is not my cup of tea- already am going to have to desolder and jumper the SMD input R/C couplings to use the 6 input board.

I don't know if anyone on here knows someone called Oleg Sydorov, but I've received an email from him selling vacuum tubes and other parts. The email came in on the group buy address which I've only ever mentioned here, and not in a harvestable format.

I've never had anything to do with him, so maybe someone's addressbook has been harvested for sending out emails?

Hello,

I am Oleg Sydorov, one of the founders of the Vacuum Tubes and Parts Company, Kiev, Ukraine. I know you as a person who have some interest in the area of vacuum tubes and tube amplifiers.
Our company can offer you a large list of vacuum tubes and other components – PIO capacitors, carbon resistors etc.
The files attached contain list of tubes and other components.
All tubes and parts are fully tested by our company technical department.

How to buy - send me via e-mail:

1. The list of the tubes and other components you need;
2. Your PayPal account address;
3. Your shipping address.

You can buy any quantity of any parts, let me know what you need and I will send you an invoice via PayPal.
All orders will be sent by Registered Air Mail from Kiev, Ukraine. Delivery time is usually 7-12 days to the majority of countries. Handling time is 1-2 days.
Shipping cost is 5.70USD for package up to 100 grams, 7.70USD for package up to 250 grams, 11.70USD for package up to 500 grams, 17.00USD for package up to 1000 grams, 27.00USD for package up to 2000 grams.
I am ready to answer any your questions. If you wish, I would be happy to help you with any kind of technical information regarding vacuum tubes and other components.

Kind regards,
Oleg Sydorov

You are receiving this email because you previously purchased vacuum tubes or other parts from the sellers who are our partners.