Break in phono with a cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have a Diy MM phono preamp that I want to use a cd player to break it in. .....

If you want to listen to it: build an inverse RIAA, that's what it is for.

If you do NOT want to listen to it, and just want a "needle-like" signal to vibrate any loose bits inside your caps, you do not need great precision but you do need a major slope (so- not just "a resistor on the cable"). A single C-R would do, but with huge supersonic signal which _I_ don't like to do to my audio gear. A couple more parts (LOW tolerance is fine) makes an iRIAA-like slope of appropriate level.

Of course there is much canned-worm to open. How do I break-in shoes? I could walk a week on the shoe-store's soft carpet and not cause the least break-in. Or run the steep back-trail on Mt Cadillac and break-OUT most shoes before the top. So I really have no idea how to break in electronics. (Speakers is easier.)

Attachments

• fake-iRIAA-42.gif
    fake-iRIAA-42.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 228
  • MtCadd-42.gif
    MtCadd-42.gif
    216.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Talk on the internet of "breaking in" capacitors, resistors, transistors - is all internet garbage.
Who in hell dreamed this crap up?
Sadly, either Dave believes in this nonsense or, more cynically, promotes magic to 'engage' his customers in buying his products premised on unscientific and unsustainable BS. I have no idea why he is allowed to promote this nonsense.

If you want to listen to it: build an inverse RIAA, that's what it is for.

If you do NOT want to listen to it, and just want a "needle-like" signal to vibrate any loose bits inside your caps, you do not need great precision but you do need a major slope (so- not just "a resistor on the cable"). A single C-R would do, but with huge supersonic signal which _I_ don't like to do to my audio gear. A couple more parts (LOW tolerance is fine) makes an iRIAA-like slope of appropriate level.

Thanks for all help.
I will build the inverse RIIA, and also inklude a volumpot in front of it so I can use my ear to check if the signal in to the phonoamp is correct.

Frode

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Sadly, either Dave believes in this nonsense or, more cynically, promotes magic to 'engage' his customers in buying his products premised on unscientific and unsustainable BS. I have no idea why he is allowed to promote this nonsense.

BS is often synonymous with business, and in audio even more so. It's about perceptions, so anything goes, and there are often attempts to shut down technical discussions. Nevermind, and usually nobody dies.

And I, along with many other professionally trained, educated, and sensible-minded individuals will continue to debunk and spread the truth about electronics.
We don't fall for all that "internet based garbage" dreamt up by people who like to use their keyboards to spread BS and other forms of misinformation.
This included biases, wives tales, hoaxes, and those young 13 year old self-proclaimed wonder-techs that don't even have a clue what Ohm's Law is about.

There are specific websites, only available to us service techicians (proof of current education credentials, certificates, and service business employment strictly required) that we in the service arena use for sharing/trading information within the service industry.
The "common person" or tinkerer, or curious self-repairer is not allowed to access these sites, of course.
We also have "blogs" within some of these "gated" sites that us techs use for sharing the amusing BS that we experience from the "tinkerer" crowd.
This benefits us in ways that helps us diagnose issues created by putzers who think they know what they're doing by modifying and messing with equipment.
And as we all know, there are hoardes of goons out there with slanted ideas, insisting that the manufacturer doesn't understand or know how to design something as good as they do.

We've also noticed that the situation has grown and gotten worse since the internet was developed, but we're not surprised.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello !

I have a Diy MM phono preamp that I want to use a cd player to break it in. Hopfully I can put a cd on repeat and let it play for som days, before start to listen to it With my turntable.

I under stand that this is posible with a resistor on the cable, buth dont know the value in ohm. Do anybody have eksperience With this ?

Regards

You are wasting your time. Just start listening to lp's.

Hello KatieandDad.

I will listen to my vinyl, that was at least the plan when I buildt the phonoamp. But to a different to many other people her on the diyaudio, I have experiensed that hifi electronic sound much bether after playing on them for a while when they are new.

I think 50 hours is a minimum. An average record last about 40 minutes, each record have two side. To play 50 hours, I wil need to play about 120 sides of LP. I have a Yamaha PX-3 turntable, which is a automatic one that bring the arm back after a side is finish, but stil many times to start and change records.

I think it is much easier to put in a cd on lets say wednesday morning, set it on repeat push play, and on friday evening I push stop. Then I start to listen to LP records and have also saved the wear on my pickup in this burn in time.

Hope this make sens.
Frode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.