Break in phono with a cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

I have a Diy MM phono preamp that I want to use a cd player to break it in. Hopfully I can put a cd on repeat and let it play for som days, before start to listen to it With my turntable.

I under stand that this is posible with a resistor on the cable, buth dont know the value in ohm. Do anybody have eksperience With this ?

Regards

Re capacitors, read these articles for a more nuanced approach to real-world capacitors and their imperfections, including changes with time under bias. Cyril Bateman's Capacitor Sound articles | Linear Audio NL
(and no, they don't need burning in)

My inverse-RIAA circuit I stuck in a little diecast box:

inverse_phono.jpg

888k = 820k + 68k
3.7nF = 2.2nF || 1.5nF
600 ohm = 1k2 || 1k2
Can't remember the attenuation factor, I forgot to write it on the box! It definitely worked reasonably well with playing music and test tones through my RIAA preamp designs, not that I claim its hugely accurate.

Capacitors are mechanical devices, they break-in.

dave
They were 'semi-mechanical' devices when large sheets of metal were suspended by insulators at a time when Marconi was attempting trans-Atlantic radio transmission. Are they still being used in modern electronics?

I can not fully agree about that, as I have eksperiensed that cd, amplifier, preamplifier and cable have sounded bether after playing som hours.
That is your brain 'breaking in' and has nothing to do with the components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.