Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

For many, their subjective perception is what counts to listen to music...they don't give a damn if or not it coincides with objective reality (whatever that is...) because, for them, perception prevails.

Of course. That is fine if you are a passive consumer. This is DIYaudio, and while for some the only reason to do DIY is to get something they can't buy readymade (because of price or other reasons), for many DIY is a way to learn more about audio - and audio (the accurate reproduction of recorded sound) is based on technology (applied science), not just subjective perceptions and beliefs.

.... for many DIY is a way to learn more about audio .....-
or perception of reproduced sound...
...and audio (the accurate reproduction of recorded sound) is based on technology (applied science), not just subjective perceptions and beliefs.
I guess you mean "High Fidelity" for the accurate reproduction of recorded sound, with parameters like band width, distortion, S/N ratio.
Well, it is perfectly possible to do High Fidelity tube amplification :D
It is perfectly possible to do High Fidelity solid state amplification :D
So what?? :rolleyes:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bill,
that seems to be a flaw in that nutube design.
A well designed tube front end will not make the amplifier distort 1% at 80 w or whatever output power.
The amplifier should clip on it's output stage rails, not on it's front end, and frankly I don't think the nutube stage "clips".

No flaw. Its designed deliberately to behave like it does. Distorsion for a USD...

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
But maybe it's like this:

You have the "perfect" low level amp with a wonderful sound - distorsion and all... now, you would like exactly that but on a high level/power output.... then of course it makes sense to choose the absolutely most transparent power amp so not to add or retract whatsoever from the source signal.

Yepp - that works... it's stil very strange...

//

Well...

I assume you know that the nutube was specifically designed as an effects device (to provide distortion and coloration).

There is already a company making a Purifi amp fronted by a NuTube inout section. They also publish the specs for all to see. I believe it is Audiophonics.
Personally, I would suggest that a different tube front end would be more appropriate if one was really looking for tube/class D hybrid type amplifier. The Nature appears hopelessly compromised for use with the Purifi modules.

My Amp

My Purifif amp uses the Eval board for the input stage and sounds great-mostly it just sounds like whatever DAC i pair it with.
I like to tinker though, and am considering replacing the OPA 1612 with the discrete Sonic Imagery 994s. These discrete OPAs appear to match the specs of the 1612, except for current availability, which is way higher. I am actually a believer in having much more current available than "needed", and feel this often results in sonic improvements, maybe I'll try it. I would probably also provide +/- 18 VDC rails for the 994s directly from my +/- 18 VDC supply in the amp.

Yes...

Tube front ends almost by definition are pure class A.
Most off-the-shelve op amps work in class B when I am right.
Discrete op amps with higher currents should have an advantage; input impedances of Ncore and Purifi power stages are lowish, and you want to have your front end to work in class A.

Exactly why I want to try the SI 994. In this implementation it will run in class A, i am pretty sure, exclusively. The 1612 in the Eval board, and running on only +/- 12 VDC rails, is running right at its limits of voltage swing at higher levels, the 994 at +/- 18 VDC will just be cruising along in class A.

With the particularity that it can work with a very low voltage (+ 12V at 30V), with low consumption and little heat, being able to use the auxiliary voltage of the SMPS1200 power supply.

The idea was given to me by a friend of mine who has a 100W Jadis tube amp. A whole heavy and huge "thermal power plant". He asked me if I could make a powerful, light, cold and small tube amp. It may create controversy, but there is that option.