Brainstorming Purifi 1et400a amps

NewClassD SoftStart 230V
Hi all, I'm new here on this forum and on the verge of building my very first amplifier using these Purifi modules along with the SMPS1200A400 power supply.

I'm reasonably technical, but this is my first time dealing with electronics and I don't have an electronics background.

In my build I would like to add a push button to the front of my case to toggle between standby/on, as well as a 12V trigger input to the back for integration into the rest of my system.

I had emailed Hypex about their soft start module (which would have made integrating a front switch pretty easy) and they said that module doesn't support 12V triggers.

So a few questions:
1. Is a soft start module with inrush current protection really necessary?
2. If yes to 1, does anyone know of a way to integrate a 12V trigger with such a module?
3. If no to 1, what is a good and relatively easy way for a beginner like me to build in a front push-button and 12V trigger? All I know at this point is that I'd need another 12V power supply for the trigger functionality.

Thanks!

So a few questions:
1. Is a soft start module with inrush current protection really necessary?

No.

3. If no to 1, what is a good and relatively easy way for a beginner like me to build in a front push-button and 12V trigger? All I know at this point is that I'd need another 12V power supply for the trigger functionality.

Small, low-power 12 V changeover relay is the simplest solution.

Anyone here ever heard LazyCats FirstOne amplifier and how it compares with the 1et400a?

I've just finished my FirstOne Large build, which does sound better than ncore NC500 to my ears (the ncores used Sonic Imagery 944 opamps buffers). But for my next project I would like to build something more compact and with the cooler running Connex SMPS.

I never built the first ones, but I do have nc400, and replaced them with modulus-86, which I prefer by a decent margin. There's a few whitepapers on the purifi site clarifying why the ncores measure well, but don't necessarily sound wonderful.

Do you care providing insights on how your first ones sound. I'm interested. I was planning to run them on lower voltage to gain some on wasted heat. They might be good in winter though ...

I am going to build a 7 channel amplifier for AV purpose:)

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpeg
    IMG_1136.jpeg
    802.6 KB · Views: 741
No, I did not misinterprete.
Julf talks the language of Ncore sounding best because of data and measurements.
No problem with that.
He is not the only one needing that kind of confirmation.
However, there are also those who don't need to be confirmed by data and measurements, but trust their ears.
Not seldom those people prefer tube amplification.
Why not accept these differences in view / perception? There should be no need to (because that is what actually happens...) disqualify people with other preferences.

However, there are also those who don't need to be confirmed by data and measurements, but trust their ears.
Not seldom those people prefer tube amplification.
Why not accept these differences in view / perception? There should be no need to (because that is what actually happens...) disqualify people with other preferences.

I totally accept the difference in view and your perceptions. I just realize that they are your subjective perceptions and beliefs, and don't necessarily correlate with objective reality.

Notice that I have not made any remarks about perceived sound quality, but purely about performance and objectively verifiable criteria such as distortion and noise.

I totally accept the difference in view and your perceptions. I just realize that they are your subjective perceptions and beliefs, and don't necessarily correlate with objective reality.
That's exactly the point and the cause of these fruitless discussions.
By the way, I was talking about perceptions in general, not mine.
For many, their subjective perception is what counts to listen to music...they don't give a damn if or not it coincides with objective reality (whatever that is...) because, for them, perception prevails.

Last edited: