Bought a lathe so I can turn horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had not thought about this static discharge risk, even though I knew that all organic dusts are a severe fire hazard. It does not matter if it's flour or custard or wood. The dust is the problem.

Must remember to incorporate some form of slow discharge route.
External grounding wire does not seem too effective.

What makes a good static discharge route?

I rented a U Haul box truck and they lifted it with one HiLo and pushed it in the truck with the other. When I got home, I backed the truck up to the garage and used an engine picker to lift one end, then used a come-along to inch it out. When the back legs where at the edge of the truck box, I lowered the held up end to the ground and picked up the end that was still in the truck. Then drove the truck away.

When I was at the industrial salvage place, I also bought an industrial four wheel dolly. So when I let the first end down, I set it on the dolly. It was easy from there.

When I brought the band saw home, I thought the motor (because of its size and weight) was at least a 3hp motor. But it is a very old 1hp repulsion motor and just too small for a 26" saw. My brother runs a Pizza factory where they turn out thousands of frozen pizza a day. When we were at his house for Easter, I told him I needed a 3hp, 3ph motor and I knew he had to have a number of them laying around. He told me to write everything down and he would check with maintanance. He called me this morning to come over and get my motor!!!

This thing is unbelievable. It is made to be washed down at the end of every shift and totally enclosed with no fan or blower. It is built for brutal environments. When you look at this link......check out the cost new!!!!!

Products: AC Motors: IDWNM3611T: Baldor Electric Company, a leader in energy efficient electric motors, linear motors and adjustable speed drives industry

I hope it's not off topic and someone will help me
actually I'm building a special lathe for turning horns. I use Linear Bearings and some other stuff and a pivot and a guide. I'm just in maze about the electromotor. I don't know what rpm should I use :( AC or DC? I want variable speed and revers function. any idea?

Most anti-static mats, wristbands etc typically have 1 meg Ohm resistance tied to earth ground. Lets say the motor insulation starts to breakdown due to age, under normal conditions (dry and insulated from ground via shoes/flooring type etc) most would never notice. But add a floating wire hard tied to earth and get the life zapped out of ya! Safety first with a lathe :)

I was pondering the idea of using an R/C outrunner AC synchronous motor or build an LRK type, and controller for this purpose. I'm sure some of the motor drives used on the larger ducted fanjets would be plenty (NOT the motor ;) A friends I wired up does 220mph+ and it aint that little (1.6m L x 1.2m WS)

How many HP are we looking for here? Don't believe the rpm range would be an issue (especially with an LRK).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've built entire planes out of fiberglass. If I never see it again, it will be too soon. I think I developed a slight reaction to it which is not unusual.

I saw the jet on your website - looked promising, what happened to that project?

Great work on your turntable plinth and the marble based amps are very nice. Looking forward to seeing what you build on this monster lathe!

-Glen

Thanks Glen. That jet project failed because we could not find a engine manuafturer to sell us just one engine for each plane. Their liability goes down to nothing(almost) when there are two engines.

I had to slow down on the lathe because of work, but I have my nights and weekends back so I'll start up again.

First things first, I am designing and building exterior and interiour duplicators for the lathe so I can whip them out by using templetes like Don did.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.