Bob Pease on the New LM4562

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jcx said:
http://waltjung.org/Classic_Articles.html

line driver artcles in walt's "Op Amp Applications" book lower half of page

Walt's recommendation of the AD811 maybe a little dated - no doubt he has a a bunch on hand and they are OK but now I would look to TPA6120, LT1795, AD8397 - if you can deal with surface mount

thanks for the suggestion and I will read this but I have some LM4562s on hand and was hoping to use them.

jcx said:
http://waltjung.org/Classic_Articles.html

line driver artcles in walt's "Op Amp Applications" book lower half of page

Walt's recommendation of the AD811 maybe a little dated - no doubt he has a a bunch on hand and they are OK but now I would look to TPA6120, LT1795, AD8397 - if you can deal with surface mount

WJ disucssed the AD811 in the newest edition of OAAH in an application driving 10V into 600R.

the LM4562 could be used as the input op amp in Walt's composite line drivers, the op amps I suggested would be used in the output buffer amp position where Walt uses the AD811

The LM4562 is faster than most input op amps shown in Walt's composite driver circuits so you may need to add some frequency compensation at lower gains

For the output buffer amp the AD811's main advantage to diy types is the DIP package which is also its weakness - power dissapation is limited, the plastic package shouldn't be used at the full supply V rating

Walt points out the Pdiss problem with the AD811, his suggestion of adding a clip-on heat sink is generally not that effective with plastic packages so you need to use the ceramic part to get to the rated Vsupply for large output swings and low impedance loads

the SMT parts I mentioned have provision for conducting heat to the gnd/power planes on the pcb and can handle several Watts to more than 5W per package for the TPA6120

The AD811 is OK in applications where it's power limitations don't come into play

Hi there!

I have build a preamp with the LME49710 (single version of LM4562). The sound is very rich of details but has a lack of warmth and deeper frequencies (under 1KHz). So, voices seem to be a little bit to thin and a bass guitar vanishes often of the sound spectrum.

So, does anybody have a well working preamp circuit for the LM49710? Mine is too thin.

Thomas

Attachments

• vv-schaltplan.gif
    vv-schaltplan.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,299
juergenk said:
Hi Thomas,
your schematic is missing one ground connection for feedback and input-network.
Guess this error is on the schematic only?
Regards
Jürgen

Hi Jürgen,

you are right. On the original circuit they are grounded but because I am no electrician but a business man I haven't seen the mistake but funny, it works although!

The drawing is exactly how I have connected the parts so the mistake is in my circuit, too! :bawling:

What will be the effect when grounding correctly? More bass? With OPA604 there is enough bass!

Regards and thanks

Thomas

legarem said:
I used the LM4562 in many cd players and they suffer lacking bass when there's not enough break in time done.

You must wait near 100 hours of playing time to achieve good sound with them.

I agree they need plenty of running in, but they'll never be the dream op-amp. Probably the best I've heard though. Much more detailed and controlled than OPA627bp. I find the bass is there, but it's very tight, not slopppy as it is with others.

Simon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.