Bob Cordell's Super Gain Clone PCB (LM3886) and a stripped-down version: Compact3886

Not to rub it in to the previous poster.
I have the SGC and psu boards.
I am new to this whole game and this will be my first build.
The reason I am doing it is because everyone seems pleased with the results.

Mainly, though, because of the amazing instructions and guides.
Thank you so much for doing everything.

Thanks also for the link for Mouser.
I started ordering from rs or farnell's (UK) but got stuck at the first hurdle, so Mouser it is :)
I don't know which of the words are the most important when ordering stuff so I am trying to get exactly the same components.

I have got a bit stuck.
I am trying to find PHE450HA6100JR05
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/80-PHE450HA6100JR05/

But I can't find them anywhere.
Could somebody please point me in the direction of a suitable alternative?
Thanks.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I recently acquired a set of Mark Johnson's version of Bob Cordell's Super GainClone and power supply pcbs (thanks Patrick!) and am working out how to fit the boards into a partially-completed but long dormant project. I have a dumb question: the transformer that is already installed in the chassis is an Antek AS-4224, which is a 400VA toroid and twice the size recommended by Mark. I'm fine leaving it in place unless there is a compelling reason to downsize. Is this an issue?

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mark:

Thanks! There is room in the chassis for only one of your power supply boards, so dual mono isn't going to happen. I've found Nichicon VR series 10k uF 50V caps for the power supply, but have not found any higher capacity caps with a 25mm diameter. I trust that a single power supply board with a total of 20k uF per rail isn't a deal-breaker?

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I've seen a number of posts re: people wanting boards. This is not directed toward any specific post or the most immediate request / expression of interest.

I certainly can't predict the outcome, but perhaps someone will take inspiration from Mark. If I desperately wanted boards, I might reach out via PM to Mark and Bob in no particular order and politely request permission to host another group buy and perhaps to use Mark's validated PCB fabrication files. Perhaps suggest to honor non-disclosure and ensure a discussion re: pricing above cost of boards and postage is agreed upon. I doubt they'd want these sold for profit. I don't need boards, so I won't be doing it.

I know the time commitment that goes into hosting even a small group buy. I also know Mark is a man of his word. Since he mentioned the possibility of another GB in Post #1, he's likely not forgotten about it, but it may not be a priority. He may truly appreciate that so many people are interested that it could merit another group buy. It could be a win-win, if someone could handle the organization and the leg work.

My suggestions don't always turn out well when followed, just ask my wife, but it can't hurt to ask. It is a humble suggestion to anyone out there that may be interested.

The other option is to post in the swap meet and see if someone has existing spares.

Good luck! I hope that everyone that wants to build this project gets the opportunity. :)

I have everything soldered up and mounted in the Dissipante 2U case, Just need to start wiring everything together. Since I bought two of each board, I have an extra set laying around for the simple version. I was thinking of building the simple version as a subwoofer amp. Since this would be a mono amplifier, can I use both the left and right channels together to get 80 watts out of this amplifier? If so, how do I wire them up?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I started a chipamp build about 10 years ago that was troubled from the start; I didn’t have a schematic for that particular chipamp pcb and I foolishly tried using an undocumented buffer circuit. Frustrated by the problems I encountered, I shelved the project.

Inspired by Mark’s Super Gain Clone implementation, I decided to resurrect the project and see what could be salvaged. ItsAllInMyHead graciously sent me an extra set of SGC and PS boards and the project progressed very nicely. The resulting amplifier sounds terrific – far better than the vastly simpler chipamp.com-based amp it replaced. And there is room for further tweaking: the chassis has ample space to add a preamplifier or buffer downstream (the power supply for either is already in place). I also have a nice DACT attenuator that will be swapped in for the Blue Velvet that’s currently installed.

Many thanks to Bob Cordell, Mr. Johnson and Patrick (ItsAllInMYHead)!

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Super Gain Clone (Kitchen Amp) Front.JPG
    Super Gain Clone (Kitchen Amp) Front.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 418
  • Super Gain Clone (Kitchen Amp) Overhead.jpg
    Super Gain Clone (Kitchen Amp) Overhead.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Super Gain Clone (Kitchen Amp) Rear.JPG
    Super Gain Clone (Kitchen Amp) Rear.JPG
    563.8 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Mark:

Yes, but to be honest that was mostly fortuitous. There was a little space in which to slide the power supply and SGC pcbs, and the final position was chosen as much as anything else to maximize the space that could be used for a linestage or buffer (plus some additional ps capacitance for the line stage or buffer).

Sometimes / blind squirrel / nut. Y'know?

Regards,
Scott

Mark:

Yes, but to be honest that was mostly fortuitous. There was a little space in which to slide the power supply and SGC pcbs, and the final position was chosen as much as anything else to maximize the space that could be used for a linestage or buffer (plus some additional ps capacitance for the line stage or buffer).

Sometimes / blind squirrel / nut. Y'know?

Regards,
Scott
It appears the heat sink is a "T" design right? The bottom panel is likely sinking a lot of the heat anyway.