Bob Cordell Interview: Negative Feedback

Bob Cordell said:

Good point, but there is a lot of resistance to change.

True, and it will take a long time unless a killer paradigm overwhelms any remaining resistance.

...People could no longer mate their favorite power amplifier with the speaker. ...

True also, and hard core tweakers will not give away the capability to mix and match, no matter whether the results are in fact not as good as well designed powered boxes in an obvious way.

And unless the amplifiers were integrated into the speaker cabinet, you'd have multiple sets of speaker cables to deal with.
Cheers,
Bob

My hunch is mainstream schemes will go toward self powered speakers not only for subwoofers as it happens today, but for all boxes. A further wellcome change will be wireless digital distribution, a significant step to clear the wire mess (and more important, a boost to the wife acceptance factor). May be this could be the killer paradigm I mentioned before.

Rodolfo

ingrast said:

True, and it will take a long time unless a killer paradigm overwhelms any remaining resistance.

True also, and hard core tweakers will not give away the capability to mix and match, no matter whether the results are in fact not as good as well designed powered boxes in an obvious way.

My hunch is mainstream schemes will go toward self powered speakers not only for subwoofers as it happens today, but for all boxes. A further wellcome change will be wireless digital distribution, a significant step to clear the wire mess (and more important, a boost to the wife acceptance factor). May be this could be the killer paradigm I mentioned before.

Rodolfo

I agree. I've actually pursued this paradigm with my Athena active loudspeakers described on my site at www.cordellaudio.com. Each cabinet has four 125 wpc MOSFET power amplifiers built into it, along with the active crossovers and EQSS bass equalization.

The wireless audio distribution concept is also a great one; the key there is maintaining pristine audio quality by avoiding any lossy compression.

Bob

ingrast said:

The amps in an active set-up need not be built into the cabinet, so "mix-and-match" is not an issue:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_us_specs.htm

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bob Cordell said:

Jan, I agree, we should forget about the 67k resistor for now.

I don't completely agree with your reasoning, at least as you stated it. We certainly want the most linear open loop amplifier possible before we apply feedback. There is no controversy there.

First, however, in a feedback situation, we have to be careful in how we view open loop nonlinearity. This is subtle, and I will probably not do a perfect job in explaining it. For purposes of the final outcome in a feedback situation, a very lightly loaded VAS that has high gain and a bit of open loop nonlinearity due to some nonlinearity in the light load is no more linear than that same VAS loaded with a load resistor which reduces the open loop gain and makes a reduction in its open loop distortion. This is because the increase in linearity is only apparent, it is not fundamental. The increased feedback when the resistor is not present will reduce that nonlinearity to the same level in the closed loop as if the resistor was there. The root of the open loop nonlinearity, the nonlinearity in the light loading, has not changed.

If you think in terms of input-referred distortion, just as you do with input-referred noise, you will see the point. Indeed, the concept of input-referred distortion analysis, which effectively breaks the feedback loop, is a very important analysis tool. Input-referred distortion analysis means that you assume a perfect output signal and then calculate what amount of distortion is necessary in the input signal to produce that perfect output signal in light of the intervening nonlinearities.

The other thing which I think you are touching on is re-entrant distortion with negative feedback. This refers to the distortion in the feedback again mixing with the input signal in the forward path nonlinearities. If, for example, you had a forward path that created only pure second harmonic distortion, the second harmonic appearing in the output would feedback and mix with the input signal and in going through the forward path would then create third harmonic distortion.

Re-entrant distortion is a real phenomenon, but one has to carefully analyze it and put numbers on it. Input referred distortion analysis is a powerful tool in this regard. It turns out that if you plot the strength of the re-entrant distortion effect, you will see that it starts out at zero with no negative feedback, then increases as negative feedback is applied and increased, and then begins to decrease as NFB is further increased. Somewhere around 10 dB of feedback is where it is worst. Hood or Baxendal showed this a long time ago. This also could be construed to suggest that, if you are going to have negative feedback, you are best off to have at least 20 dB of negative feedback.

The point here is that increasing amounts of negative feedback beyond that 10 dB number or so does NOT increase the buildup of higher-order nonlinearities. But keep in mind that this does not change the important goal of having the most linear forward path in the first place.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

My apologies for replying so late. Somehow I missed this post.

I see your point on the input referred distortion, thanks for that explanation, makes a lot of sense and helps to understand these issues.

Your last point, referring to that work of baxandall (it was Baxandall), I am quite familiar with that (in fact there is somewhere on this forum a figure of the phenomenon I posted long time ago).

The higher order harmonics do however increase with increasing feedback in this situation, beyond 10dB and further. As feedback increases, the order of the harmonics that are added also increases but with progressively lower levels. It depends on the particular configuration at which feedback point we reach the situation that we can safely assume that all harmonics are inaudible. That point certainly can lie beyond 10dB feedback.

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Bob,

My apologies for replying so late. Somehow I missed this post.

I see your point on the input referred distortion, thanks for that explanation, makes a lot of sense and helps to understand these issues.

Your last point, referring to that work of baxandall (it was Baxandall), I am quite familiar with that (in fact there is somewhere on this forum a figure of the phenomenon I posted long time ago).

The higher order harmonics do however increase with increasing feedback in this situation, beyond 10dB and further. As feedback increases, the order of the harmonics that are added also increases but with progressively lower levels. It depends on the particular configuration at which feedback point we reach the situation that we can safely assume that all harmonics are inaudible. That point certainly can lie beyond 10dB feedback.

Jan Didden

I think someone needs to do an experiment with a given circuit and a spectrum analyzer in which the amount of feedback around the given circuit (maybe just a simple common emitter stage) is progressively increased, with the output level held constant, to see how the various harmonics behave in amplitude vs amount of feedback. This could probably also be simulated. I'm pretty sure that at about 20 dB NFB and beyond, the amplitudes of ALL of the harmonics only go down monotonically.

We have to remember that even with a single BJT common emitter stage, harmonics exist all the way out due to the exponential Vbe characteristic - it is only a matter of what their amplitude is.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell,
---I think someone needs to do an experiment with a given circuit and a spectrum analyzer in which the amount of feedback around the given circuit (maybe just a simple common emitter stage) is progressively increased, with the output level held constant, to see how the various harmonics behave in amplitude vs amount of feedback. This could probably also be simulated. I'm pretty sure that at about 20 dB NFB and beyond, the amplitudes of ALL of the harmonics only go down monotonically.
---

Are'nt you precisely describing the Peter Baxandall's Wireless World Papers circa 1978 ? Do you need I scan them ?

forr said:
Bob Cordell,
---I think someone needs to do an experiment with a given circuit and a spectrum analyzer in which the amount of feedback around the given circuit (maybe just a simple common emitter stage) is progressively increased, with the output level held constant, to see how the various harmonics behave in amplitude vs amount of feedback. This could probably also be simulated. I'm pretty sure that at about 20 dB NFB and beyond, the amplitudes of ALL of the harmonics only go down monotonically.
---

Are'nt you precisely describing the Peter Baxandall's Wireless World Papers circa 1978 ? Do you need I scan them ?

Yes, to the extent of my memory, but I don't recall if he showed multiple spectrum analyzer plots for different values of NFB.

Cheers,
Bob

AKSA said:
NFB gets a bad rap. It is so ubiquitous it is difficult to imagine the world without it.

Much of the problem is the derivation of the error signal. Do this wrong, and the fb is intrinsically flawed before it even hits its stride.....

Hugh

I agree, Hugh. It is like any tool; those who do not use it properly can have bad things happen; those who view it as a cure-all for a fundamentally poor design will get bad results, and NFB will unfortunately get painted with a broad brush. Just because someone cuts his finger off with a table saw doesn't mean that we should not use that tool; it just means that HE should not use that tool.

Tell us a bit more about what you had in mind in referring to the problem with the derivation of the error signal.

Cheers,
Bob

AKSA said:
NFB gets a bad rap. It is so ubiquitous it is difficult to imagine the world without it.

Much of the problem is the derivation of the error signal. Do this wrong, and the fb is intrinsically flawed before it even hits its stride.....

Hugh

From what I have seen a lot of Hugh's designs are from the 1970's including the old fashioned miller cap - which delays NFB. I think one of the reasons he can get away with it, is cause of the PSRR or signal to noise ratio of modern sources such as CD players/pre-amps.

I think some of them designs wouldn't be acceptable in the 70's.

Lastly, I've never heard anyone say how good they are running decent loudspeakers. What I mean by that, is technically excellent designs on the acoustic level - they almost certainly drop to seriously low impedance.

Regards

Kevin

Fanuc said:

Lastly, I've never heard anyone say how good they are running decent loudspeakers. What I mean by that, is technically excellent designs on the acoustic level - they almost certainly drop to seriously low impedance.

Regards

Kevin

Not so. While some very good loudspeakers do drop to low impedances, there is no fundamental reason why this need be so, and some very good speakers have very civilized impedance curves - or at least ones that do not drop below about 2.5 ohms.

Nevertheless, I agree that amplifiers should be designed with good margin against nasty loads.

Bob

Hi,
an 8ohm speaker that drops to a minimum near 2.5ohms is probably not an 8ohm but a 4 to 8ohm with a low impedance bass driver or twin bass drivers to get the bass/mid sensitivity to match the treble sensitivity.

If it were a true 8ohm speaker then a fall to 2.5ohm would indicate a very severe reactive load and would certainly needs a robust amplifer.

In either case, a genuine 4ohm capable amplifer should probably be used to drive a speaker with this impedance characteristic.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
an 8ohm speaker that drops to a minimum near 2.5ohms is probably not an 8ohm but a 4 to 8ohm with a low impedance bass driver or twin bass drivers to get the bass/mid sensitivity to match the treble sensitivity.

If it were a true 8ohm speaker then a fall to 2.5ohm would indicate a very severe reactive load and would certainly needs a robust amplifer.

In either case, a genuine 4ohm capable amplifer should probably be used to drive a speaker with this impedance characteristic.

That was indeed a 4 ohm-rated speaker I had in mind, and a 4-ohm capable amplifier is just a nice start.

Bob