Bob Cordell Interview: Error Correction

Nonlinearities manifest as THD

Mikeks asked "Have you encountered any form of non-linearity that does not generate spurious harmonics, and is not, therefore, manifest as an increase in THD+N?"

First of all, you need to allow for the possibility that it may manifest itself in THD+N at some frequency and at some level. For example, it is easy to build an amplifier that has good 1 kHz THD but which still has poor high frequency nonlinearity. But that same amplifier will not likely escape without measurable 20 kHz THD. Similarly, the nonlinearity of an electrolytic capacitor may only show up in THD at very low frequencies.

Given those caveats, I'm not sure that I have seen a nonlinearity that did not generate some THD, although I don't foreclose on the possibility. That is why I always believe in doing different types of distortion measurements. But it tends to be generally true that a nonlinearity will virtually always generate added spectral components that were not originally present in the stimulous. There are some cases where one type of distortion measurement will be more sensitive than another. A simple example is that 20 kHz THD may not register in a sharply band-limited system, while an IM measurement of the distortion that results from the same nonlinearity will register because it is in-band.

20 kHz THD is a much better power amplifier test than some have given it credit for, but I still don't believe in relying solely on it. I'm a big believer in spectral analysis of the distortion products out to, say, 9th order or more. That is not always practical with THD-20. For that reason, I lean toward full spectral analysis of 19 kHz + 20 kHz twin-tone IM. The tradeoff is that not everyone has a spectrum analyzer for that, and in some cases the measurement floor for twin tone IM is not as low as it is for THD-20. It really depends a lot on what kind of instrumentation you have available.

Bob

Re: Superbly intuitive analysis!

mikeks said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for this most illuminating analysis.

It may be inferred from the later that my assertion here was incorrect.

It is, in fact, abundantly clear now that, regardless of load, and irrespective of the fact that Q6/Q10 are turned off for positive voltage swings in Class B, device Q8 must, of necessity, be turned on by Q7 pulling its emitter high, courtesy of R11. Resplendent!

(Clearly my ebullience at discovering your membership of the forum was well justified.)

Your analysis could be further extended to demonstrate that my first assessment was correct in fact.

Indeed, cross-coupling the emitters of Q5/Q6 similarly causes Q5 to pull Q6's emitter high for positive output voltage swings, thereby driving Q6 into conduction.

Thus, causing the first pair of drivers (Q5/Q6) to conduct throughout the cycle, more effectively (and with superior linearity), isolates the second stage from the non-linear loading of the class B (or AB) output stage; the dedicated class-A emitter
follower recommended by D. Self for this purpose is made redundant.

This attribute is notably absent in this circuit, and is one of the greatest advantages of Locanthi's arrangement.

Mikeks, you might be interested in this analysis of the Locanthi output stage written by Andy_C in another thread, regarding the values used in the Leach amp:

Have you ever messed around with SPICE simulation, say, with the freeware LTSpice from Linear Technology? By simulating the combination of just the output stage and "class A" drivers, you'll be able to see what's going on. I've done a similar thing, except with bipolar drivers driving a power MOSFET output stage - but the basic idea is the same. I just used some ideal DC voltage sources to set up the DC bias between the bases of Q16 and Q17 (two equal ones in series) and drove the junction of the two with an ideal large-signal square wave voltage source to look at the transient response and switching behavior. Here's what I found.

First, the assumption that the driver is always in class A mode breaks down in large-signal transient analysis with square waves. That's why I put "class A" in quotes above. It looks like Leach's graphs of the currents in the driver were done using swept DC analysis, which will show an optimistic view of the situation. The "gotcha" in this case occurs when attempting to turn one of the output devices OFF. Let's assume we're talking about the NPN output device Q18. It turns out that because of the stored charge in the output device's internal capacitances, under transient conditions there's a brief instant where the base current of the NPN output device is negative (that is, current is coming out of the base of the NPN in order to pull out the stored charge). This current may be tens of milliamps or more, depending on how fast the square wave rise time is. This transient current can be greater than the DC current of Q16 and Q17. So under these conditions, Q16 will actually cut off. With Q16 momentarily OFF, Q17 is now left with the job of pulling the stored charge out of the base of Q18. But it can only do this through the series resistor R36, which slows down the turnoff because of the time constant of this resistor and the device capacitance of Q18. The addition of a capacitor of about 1uF in parallel with R36 fixes this problem. Of course R41 is still having an effect, but it's much smaller than R36.

The reason I even looked at this problem was that when I was simulating large-signal square wave performance of my amp into a capacitive load, I had a horrible overshoot of about 30 percent. I finally isolated the problem to this very issue, and putting a capacitor in parallel with the driver emitter resistor fixed it completely (in simulation).

In short, ths "same sex" driver transistor can momentarily cut off when turning off the corresponding output device. This leaves the job to the "opposite sex" driver, which can do its job better with a capacitor in parallel with the emitter resistor, as this makes it act more like an ideal voltage source.

If you have a small SMPS (like laptop battery charger), it is usually portable, about the size that hand can handle.
Put this SMPS in duty (chargering battery), then move this SMPS near the pcb, near input section, near output section, near zobel network, near speaker cables, near speakers, etc. SMPS radiation REALLY gets in to the amplifier's loop, making it's way to distortion artifact. You will not see this on output trace (too small too see if compared to output signal), but it will be seen with distortion meter (after nulling the fundamental first).

Maybe some will consider this as "cheating", but in year 2006 almost everything in the house is powered by SMPS. Printer, computer, TV (has flyback), laptop, even neon lamps have SMPS. The environment of home audio is full of SMPS radiation.
We haven't count for WiFi radiation, handphone signals yet :D
Maybe power amps designed in 2006 upwards should consider these ?

Hi Bob,

i am not sure if this is appropriate but since you are here i might as well ask you.

i have read your article in AUDIO magazine about the THD analyser, in three parts, i only got the first and the third , and the second part only recently.

now my question is, do you have this analyser offered as a kit anywhere?

i am sure many DIY'ers out here would like to have one.

thanks.

Re: Homework...

mikeks said:
Perhaps folks would like to figure out whether the first pair of drivers in this output stage operates in Class A if the output devices are in Class B?

I am knackered. :clown:

Because everything depends on value of resistor between emitters of driver stage, coefficient of current amplification of output stage, and load resistance.
If current through this resistor is more than peak current consumed by output starge from driver the driver works in A class, otherwise it works in AB class.

Re: Hello Bob..

mikeks said:
Have you encountered any form of non-linearity that does not generate spurious harmonics, and is not, therefore, manifest as an increase in THD+N?

That's a very good question. I don't think that it's possible to have distortions that don't manifest as spurious harmonics. And even if there are, would the ear be able to hear them ?
What looks quite sure is that there are distortion types that won't show up with a single sinewave.
Nice example: IM-test with a 50hz+10khz. As openloop distortion will vary the openloop gain (feedback factor) on a 50hz period, the feedback amount for the 10khz signal will modulate with 50hz, varying the compensation for the openloop phaseshift with this 50hz. Voila, phasemodulation (fm). If openloop distortion and phaseshift is high enough, you will even get a "doppler" effect.

Mike

HF MIM for EMI ingress

Milan,

You make some good points, but keep in mind that with the test I described in the earlier post, we don't really care about the level of the original test signal that gets through - in fact, the less the better. All we care about is the amount of in-band IM products that are generated by the amplifier in response to this high-frequency stimulous.

In another post, the question was asked as to why three tones were needed in the HF MIM test rather than just two. If you use only two tones, only the even order IM products will fold down into the audio passband. By using thee tones, you also get the odd-order IM products to fold down into the audio passband.

You are certainly right that many other types of HF stimulous could be used for an EMI ingress susceptibility test for amplifiers. The HF MIM one I described just seemed to be a fairly simple one to generate with fairly predictable IM product frequencies to look for.

Thanks for your interest.
Bob Cordell

Re: Superbly intuitive analysis!

mikeks said:
It is, in fact, abundantly clear now that, regardless of load, and irrespective of the fact that Q6/Q10 are turned off for positive voltage swings in Class B, device Q8 must, of necessity, be turned on by Q7 pulling its emitter high, courtesy of R11.

Actually, i have now found this not to be entirely true:

Whether Q7/Q8 operate in Class A is also a function of the size of the cross-coupling resistor, the magnitude of the load and is dependent on the entire output stage not being under-biased.

This, to a much lesser extent, is also true of the first pair of cross-coupled drivers in Locanthi's arrangement.

Be that as it may, with the later circuit the first pair of drivers can be guaranteed to operate in class A provided the output devices are biased at least for class B, and the cross-coupling resistor is made sufficiently small (typically =<1K).