Blackgate caps out of production, so...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ian,
For resistors I prefer Kiwame but they are bulky.
Yes parallel BG NX with Standard BGs. They are
very effective so use it only in 1 or 2 key areas.
Lots of times, the coarseness or graininess comes
not from the equipment but from the wall. I run my
equipment through a diy Jon Risch filter. You can
hear the difference. No grain or coarseness at all.
If you've got power hungy speakers, yes you may
have to add extra capacitance. All this is very
subjective as it depends on your taste as well as
the music you listen too. As I no longer listen to
a tube amp, I find that using BG standard on a
transistor amp does give it a warmer tube like
sound. If you find that the sound foggy, you can
parallel one or two BG NX on each channel to aquire
the sound that you're looking for. I do not use BGs
for the main supply in my power amp simply because
they're just too expansive. You can try out the BHC
Split Foils which I find it to my liking. Lastly, do not
apply the BG NX on the main filter caps unless you've
got very high capacitance there. It just sucks the life
out of the music.

Takecare

LOL. I wonder if they ever sold one of those wooden knobs?

Elsewhere on that site:

"Transformer Potentiometer; developed by Serge Schmidlin of Audio Consulting in Switzerland. Removing Passive from my reference system and replacing it with the TP was nothing short of amazing. clarity and dynamics. How can it be cleaner than a Vishay S102C? ...is a transformer with multiple secondaries to controlling the volume. There are no resistors in series with the signal and it is completely passive meaning no power cord. The ultra low impedance of the SRTP gives you the ultimate in dynamics especially at low levels seemingly a major drawback with resistive based solutions."

Wasn't there a thread on this recently? Maybe it was an old thread I found.

IanAS

Sanyo SEPs are the best cap I've tried, smooth, punchy and full, without the peculiar "fatty" quality of regular G-type oscons. In my little nonOS dac the 330u 16v sound most refined, the 22u 20v faster and more forward, though both values sound pretty upfront.

For tuning purposes, a 4700uH/20R inductor from Farnell before each LM317T pushes the sound back a bit.

I've fiddled about with BGs and they sound too dark and congested.

This thread is becoming really interesting. 70,000 or 100uF? It probably greatly depends upon the speakers. While 100uF will very probably sound better with Lowthers i can guarantee it won't work with any of the speakers i currently have.

Delivering any real power from a 100uF simply means powering the amp with a voltage which bears no resemblance to dc. No doubt the high psrr helps some but distortion measurements at any real power likely go through the roof.

LOL. I wonder if they ever sold one of those wooden knobs?

Probably not but it is still a very cool addition to the range. It's also a great moron-detector - just observe how their faces grow all red and swollen from indignation.

the TVC may not be cleaner than a Vishay but it somehow sounds better. At least under most circumstances. Maybe because it doesn't burn musical energy into heat as effectively as a resistor?

analog_sa said:
This thread is becoming really interesting. 70,000 or 100uF? It probably greatly depends upon the speakers. While 100uF will very probably sound better with Lowthers i can guarantee it won't work with any of the speakers i currently have.

Yes, it will depend on the speakers. I'm using Triangles full range (12ohm), with Raven filling the top at 12k with first order filter. The bottom end is reinforced by PHL1230 with a series coil (it probably starts working below 800Hz).

In this system 100u works great. I tried to push it, and it starts audibly distorting only at vey high levels (bass cracking sort off). It is definitely a tradeoff, like mini monitors comparing to large speakers. But what I'm getting in exchange is well worth it. It is also my secondary system, so I can have full bass blow from my 15" and 12" (in parallel) Focal Audioms powerd by large monoblock with 24 output devices per channel (and taking continuosly 600W from the mains).

If 100u BG N are too week for any real music, you may add 1000u BG STD at the bridges and it brings things back to more regular setup. But the freshness of sound sort of collapses.;)

CHS said:
Hi Kit,
I'm surprise that you like the sound of Oscons.
They're good for digital side but does not sound
very convincing on the analog side even on a
DAC. Aside from this, on vocal recording, theres
too much siblance.

Me too. The SEPs don't sound like standard oscons, which have a very distinct and unwelcome coloration, at least to my ears.

The 22u 20v are more sibilant than the 330u 16v, though they time and individuate musicians better. The extra vitality makes this a profitable tradeoff. It could be a case of fixing or revealing a problem elsewhere rather than the caps themselves creating a problem. The origins of sibilance are a bit complex, IME.

Concerning cap size, changing my DAC's central filter cap from Panasonic FC 3300u 35v to Sanyo SEP 330u 16v brought much more power and less astringency.

I'm listening through Stax Omega II.

Thanks.

I heard that Oscons act like an inductor and don't work for de-coupling very high frequencies. But I see they use them in computers to raise the over clocking speed a bit further. And Fujitsu and others make 'polymer' Alu Electrolytics too.

Well the irony is that black gate are continuing in production but we're all going over to these other types instead! And that's what the rubycon factory was being re assigned to produce!

We still need something for the higher voltages though, so BG's for that :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.