Beyond the J Fringe

If my memory is correct the DiyAudio Store LSK170 /LSJ74 Grade A was the most expensive grade and not the cheapest?

Before I knew anything about Idss I just purchased some JFETs together with various kits (ACA, M2X etc.) just to have some for future projects and because the A-grade was the most expensive I thought that they were probaby the best and had less noise figures. Later I understood that GR and BL grade was the ones that was used to all projects and I wondered why the A-grade was so expensive and it probably was a mistake to get those :)

Joined 2013
Paid Member
The good news is that between Linear Systems and purchases of some Toshibas
the supply situation is improving.

Now I understand your comment.
If the lower Idss spec JFETS' operate so well under greater stress, does this mean the V grade JFET's might make a nice power amplifier without having to use one thousand in parallel?

If the lower Idss spec JFETS' operate so well under greater stress, does this mean the V grade JFET's might make a nice power amplifier without having to use one thousand in parallel?
The essence of the Beast is to use a lot of small signal fets biased so they do not require additional heat sync. If the additional cost of the devices is offset by the elimination of the heatsink, you have a unique solution. Once you leave the SOA in free air, the project becomes less compelling.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just pointing out the chalanges.

Just 2 pence.