Beyond the Ariel

Okay Earl, Just goes to show how easy it is to miss the true meaning sometimes behind what is being said. Some hate those emoticons but I think they do help to show the true intent of a statement, whether real or tongue in cheek. I don't keep all my messages on this site but some I do. I donate to the upkeep of the site so I have a larger mailbox than those who don't but why keep junk messages.

I raised four kids, three girls and one boy. I wasn't a helicopter parent either but I did keep my eyes open. Nobody could easily get anything by my wife, a bit over the top so to say. I only have one left around right now, she has just built her own website with e-commerce functionality and learned about 5 program languages on her own. These kids are so computer savvy it is something else. I personally don't want to learn programming, it is enough to keep up with the programs I use let alone write one myself. I left that stuff to my brother to write programs for doing what I wanted, I could give the desired application and functionality and left it at that.

Steven

Agreed,
Some are more than rude I would have to say. It is as if they are PhD physicist and know it all. There really is no reason to be rude or condescending when you only can site someone else work and usually out of context. Polite discussion does not mean you can't disagree or have an alternative opinion. just do it nicely with no malice.

As a famous man said, "Can't We All Just Get Along"

:) Not false Earl...

I just don' like the too simple idea, a personn could fail its civilzed behaviour because he is Anonymous.. or not ! Conclusion of the article is focused imho without being false. it's just show many deal more with pride and are their own cop. But a true gentleman should know how gently drink a cup of tea while not being seen by anyone : it's not a question of reputation/ego but a question of education ! Should we lose our education as soon as we are Anonymous? Of course not ! It could be what the writer should conclude behind the stats of his study ! But here we know stats are the test of an experience and not the opposite !

Malice can be nice if not made with bad will, and some nice words can hide a bad will too... Malice has a lot to see with the pride in front of it !

Half-full or half-empty glass ? All it shows is as usual, anonymous or not, people have a lot of pain to play collective ! :). My concern was also simply to say some like to use their name to polish their ego ! And according to me they are in the same league than the unpolite people described in the paper Lynn linked, maybe even more vulgar! It was not focused against posters here.

Sorry totaly off topic, let's continue, it was just for me to have a 1/4 hour of Anonymous celebrity :D (malice ! but not against you dear Kindhormann, Earl and Lynn I read a lot :) )

Last edited:
But why otherwise?
My original driver for having a nom de plume was to protect my clients - who occasionaly had good business reasons for not taking the technical positions I was simultaneously advocating in technical discussion forums.

Anonymity just seems to make for more rancor and name-calling.
Only as long and as much as the moderators want it.

This is no different to newspaper or journal where editorial policy determines what gets printed. If there is too much those actually contributing will move elsewhere - which we've all seen several times since the first dial up BBSs appeared

ps. Having watched various BBS, newgroups and mailing lists become a whole lot more permanent and searchable than ever forseen I'm also quite happy for the commercial users of "Big Data" to have to work just that little bit harder.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Facebook is full of real names (and thus heavy data mining) but Facebook is not free of trolling, rudeness, aggression.

I also think it's a generational thing. We used to not go by our given names among strangers. We were Mr. Smith, Miss Jones, Master Williams. Using someone's given name was too familiar for general use. Now it's the opposite, we hesitate to share our family name with just anyone. Perhaps it identifies us too well.

There are forum members here who have been tracked down a threatened with violence. It has happened to me on other audio forums - completely out of the blue. The world is not always a happy place.

Okay Earl, Just goes to show how easy it is to miss the true meaning sometimes behind what is being said. Some hate those emoticons but I think they do help to show the true intent of a statement, whether real or tongue in cheek. Steven

Hi STEVE!!! :)

I don't hate emoticons, I'm just too lazy!! But I have gotten bitten a few times for this and maybe I'll use them more.

I was checking out the Acoustic Elegance FB page and saw a build from a guy that used the Seos 24 waveguide with a coaxial BMS driver with 18" AE drivers. Had me thinking that the waveguide and BMS coax may be a nice fit with the GPA 416 for a two way, well woofer + horn look but coax in the horn etc.

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadmi...1-04_coaxial_neodymium_compression_driver.pdf

Fiberglass SEOS-24? - The SEOS? Waveguides DIY Sound Group

http://aespeakers.com/dual-ae-td18h-mains-and-td15m-center-channel-by-lukeamdman/

Last edited:
I defer to the real experts here, but I can't help wondering what happens when a coaxial driver is combined with a front horn. The cone portion is correctly loaded, but what of the HF compression driver and the small HF horn?

Although not a coaxial, here's the problem I'm thinking of. Surely this creates multiple reflections?

Attachments

• WvL_Swing.jpeg
    WvL_Swing.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
I was checking out the Acoustic Elegance FB page and saw a build from a guy that used the Seos 24 waveguide with a coaxial BMS driver with 18" AE drivers. Had me thinking that the waveguide and BMS coax may be a nice fit with the GPA 416 for a two way, well woofer + horn look but coax in the horn etc.

I've heard that speaker, and helped a tiny bit in voicing it (not sure if Luke is still using those settings). I had some reservations about how BMS handles the throat section where the output from each CD meets, and the big SEOS throat geometry does not look correct for an oswg. Also, Luke was still in the process of dialing them in. Despite these things that sounded pretty dang good and with some work are probably quite good. With a custom xo for the coax they measure really well iirc.

Lynn with a horn loaded co-axial you would be correct that you would create some strange diffraction patterns. And loading the driver that way also has its own issues with the straight edge over the cone driver. If the cone was used as the horn as Radian does then you could do something that conceivably would work but I don't see that done much. There is always some discontinuity where the cone meets the horn and the difference in angle between the cone and horn that will cause some type of diffraction.

I defer to the real experts here, but I can't help wondering what happens when a coaxial driver is combined with a front horn. The cone portion is correctly loaded, but what of the HF compression driver and the small HF horn?

Although not a coaxial, here's the problem I'm thinking of. Surely this creates multiple reflections?

It's a trade off for the many problems of multi way arrays and other designs that can be somewhat lessened or eliminated to where it is inaudible. In an ideal front loaded coaxial driver horn the hf horn can have a pattern where when it crossed it is a little tighter than the midbass horn. Or you could have the hf horn extend out to the mouth of the midbass horn. What I find is except-able in my contraption is acoustic foam on the midbass horn walls and mouth - :) It works great (without the foam you get reflections) and where the transition between the DC drivers lies (1.5K) the pattern in the horizontal plane are nearly identical between mid and treble drivers when measured in the front horn. As far as the transition from the drivers cone and the throat of the horn that can all be taken care of if designed carefully. One of the most "coherent" systems I have ever heard (close to full range electrostat coherant sound but better in all other respects) was a Danely system where separate cones and drivers are used in the same horn and carefully blended together. What I am listening to now might be better but have no way of comparing except with an old pair of Unity horns I have from Blossom Music center. They aren't too bad but the coax is better. The newer Danleys I suppose are excellent though.

Why can't we just see some real data and determine from that if this idea works or not?

Sure, come on over and get your data. Bring your data gathering tools and your speakers I might want to hear them.Trading data works for me. I'm not a visual person I'm Proprioceptive. That's the kind of data that works for me. Don't worry about the deep bass I have that covered.

Dave,
The reality is that a coaxial or even a triaxial horn can be made to work. The devil is in the details and the manufacturing of it is the real issue. It gets rather complex and the construction becomes very expensive, it can be done but cost is always a factor in manufacturing. Nobody would want to pay the cost for a commercial horn made that way, current designs use the simplest methods possible to make the production cost effective and marketable.

Your one of the ones making claims not I. When I make a claim I support it with data, not rhetoric.

OK, let's be fair. I'm not in this for the money like you nor to sell anybody anything. The data is here come and get it. It is only valuable to you so fetch it up. If you want to share your data in exchange to what I find valuable than get off your "rhetoric" and share your goods.