Beyond the Ariel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a good question - what advantage would a 2" CD have in a system like this? If you don't need to go above 7 Khz then a 2" driver might be a good choice. I'm plenty happy with a 1.4" driver going down to about 700Hz.

The idea (as I understand it) is that a 1.4" driver is meant for going from about 700Hz all the way to the top. They don't always get all the way up.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One more record from that concert ("Black Hole" tango):

*Quick O.T.
Do you know of an artist that covers correctly the obscure in her time Siberian Yanka Dyagileva? The early lost ''Russian Patti Smith'' in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• yanka.jpg
    yanka.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 743
What do the SPL or CSD plot look like?

Just to clarify - I haven't measured mine yet. I haven't even drilled a mounting hole yet. As for SPL - that is very dependent on the horn you put it on. Some horns will make it ruler flat to 600hz @ 120db i'd imagine. Any more SPL might be limited by the 1" throat. The driver was made with home application in mind though, so I don't know how it fares ultimately. Here are the measurements:

The BA attitude

The only real issues I see are a very narrow band notch around 7khz, and a probably to me barely audible ringing at 15khz. Whether or not we will need a super tweeter is to be determined. I suspect the stuff around 2khz would disappear once I measure the WG on a baffle with adequate roundovers, as it seems to correlate with the vertical heihgt of the SEOS-18.

I'll try and measure impedance when I can.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
*Quick O.T.
Do you know of an artist that covers correctly the obscure in her time Siberian Yanka Dyagileva? The early lost ''Russian Patti Smith'' in my humble opinion.

Checked her out. Love her voice, dig the lyrics and enjoy the playing style. A lost gem, indeed. I wanted to draw a parralel immediately with Cat Power, but later realised it would be appropriate only by the looks, if any.

could be that the answer to my question is somewhere at these previous 807 pages but is there any 1" driver suitable for home use here, as i currently have 340 horns with 1" throat, not keen on cutting them to accomodate 1.5" or 2".

i know the saying that the worst 2" sounds better than the best 1" CD but realistically, is there anything that can fit the bill here?

i have B&C DE250 and coral M100, the first in use at the moment in another waveguide (geddes OS) and i like it a lot, coral i still have to try but as it's an upgraded JBL 2420 it shouldnt be bad....

due to shipping or hi costs of local manufacturing i'd still prefer to use a 1" 340 horn.... any thoughts?

Just to clarify - I haven't measured mine yet. I haven't even drilled a mounting hole yet. As for SPL - that is very dependent on the horn you put it on. Some horns will make it ruler flat to 600hz @ 120db i'd imagine. Any more SPL might be limited by the 1" throat. The driver was made with home application in mind though, so I don't know how it fares ultimately. Here are the measurements:

The BA attitude

The only real issues I see are a very narrow band notch around 7khz, and a probably to me barely audible ringing at 15khz. Whether or not we will need a super tweeter is to be determined. I suspect the stuff around 2khz would disappear once I measure the WG on a baffle with adequate roundovers, as it seems to correlate with the vertical heihgt of the SEOS-18.

I'll try and measure impedance when I can.
There seems to be a breakup mode above 7KHz, that is a pretty sensitive area, it is in the impulse, so I just wanted to know what frequency it would show up in the CSD. I have a full range driver that has a breakup that strong an 21KHz, and you can definitely hear it's effects. So I expect this one will be more critical.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A couple of years ago we were discussing the beryllium 'frams over on the Altec forum (IIRC). I don't think I've ever heard one, but from all the measurements, they seemed only slightly better than aluminum. Didn't seem worth the costs and hassle to me. The jump from titanium to aluminum is a good one for SQ, but then onto beryllium there just isn't that much change in the measurements.

could be that the answer to my question is somewhere at these previous 807 pages but is there any 1" driver suitable for home use here, as i currently have 340 horns with 1" throat, not keen on cutting them to accomodate 1.5" or 2".

i know the saying that the worst 2" sounds better than the best 1" CD but realistically, is there anything that can fit the bill here?

Designing a speaker system is a series of compromises. To me, the 2" doesn't necessarily sound "better", it just has a different limitations, and needs a different system to sound its best. Lynn has Identified a combination of drivers he loves. Your choice is to either follow his lead, or find a different compromise you can live with.

A couple of years ago we were discussing the beryllium 'frams over on the Altec forum (IIRC). I don't think I've ever heard one, but from all the measurements, they seemed only slightly better than aluminum. Didn't seem worth the costs and hassle to me. The jump from titanium to aluminum is a good one for SQ, but then onto beryllium there just isn't that much change in the measurements.

From most of the measurements I've seen it's all about increasing the size of the diaphragm WITHOUT decreasing the upper freq. response.

The engineered net result is often a *lower* freq. response with a similar higher freq. response. (..and sometimes that upper freq. response is "cleaner" or more linear.)

I guess it becomes a question of "do you want an extra 100 Hz of low freq. extension while maintaining a 15+ kHz upper freq. response on-axis"?

I'm not sure though if it's why some might prefer a Be diaphragm or not (..and in fact I suspect it isn't).

Hello Pano

There isn't much difference in the measurements. Were you looking at these??

Truextent White-paper for Large Format Diaphragms

I think a lot of how people feel about the jump is where there past experience lies. I started with undamped titanium and the jump from damped vs undamped was significant. I then went to Be and again there was a jump. Later on I ended up with an Array center that uses a damped aluminum diaphragm. It sounds really good to me. I have it running side by side with Be drivers and I am not all that sure I could tell the difference. The blend across the front of my HT is quite good when things pan.

Rob:)

Attachments

• TV Center.jpg
    TV Center.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 627

due to shipping or hi costs of local manufacturing i'd still prefer to use a 1" 340 horn.... any thoughts?

I have a Radian 475pb 1" CD and it is very nice but needs some EQ adjustment, at least it does in the cheap horns/waveguides I have played with.
When the EQ/response is right it sounds absolutely beautiful.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah Rob, that was the paper. I remember to charts and that beryllium had a better top end than aluminum, but nothing else was much different. I would certainly take the aluminum over the titanium, by ear and by chart, but the Be just didn't seem a huge improvement over the Alu. Not enough to warrant the cost.

Thanks for your listening impressions. Nice to know.