• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best SE output transformer for 300B - shootout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member

Attachments

• NP ACOUSTIC TRANSFORMER VIETNAM.png
    NP ACOUSTIC TRANSFORMER VIETNAM.png
    516.7 KB · Views: 844
  • NP ACOUSTIC TRANSFORMER VIETNAM 2.png
    NP ACOUSTIC TRANSFORMER VIETNAM 2.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 812
Last edited:
Looks quite good, but the measurement should be better documented to draw conclusions:
- what is the source impedance of the measurement set up?
- apparently there is no DC current applied through the primary;
- I don't see the secondary loaded with a lowish (loudspeaker) impedance.
So the measurement seems to be a bit unlike the situation in an amplifier circuit.
Square waves?

Last edited:
Rajko,
Nowhere...
Static measurements (I reckon frequency sweeps without DC current and unloaded secondary among them) can be useful and, applied well, give a good indication of how a transformer performs in the dynamic condition of the amplifier - loudspeaker interface.
For critical applications I set up a breadboard amplifier to do measurements with all requirements applied. As most of my transformers are (were) custom made, the requirements are always different, and publishing measurement results make more sense when it is about standard transformers with fixed parameters.
The transformer tested in the you tube video might, and likely will, be a good transformer (and a steal for the money...); however the measurement set up as in the video is not sufficient.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.