best interconnect cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good shielding is only part of the story.
There is no story ... only measurable and confirmed facts, and I do not see any.

As we keep telling you, low microphony is also an issue.
Your army seems out numbered to me.

Why are you so adamant that we are wrong?
Your army does not have high ranked officers so to talk to, and I am an army general in my village and a wild bitch.

Last edited:
Low noise translates to high shielding as protection against electrical intereference from near by sources.

Actually "low noise cable" is kind of the official name for a cable designed for low piezo/triboelectric effects. Check it out on google.

It is useful for measuring low-level signals from a high-impedance source.

Then you had an antenna.

Nope.

Obviously if I stick my finger on the center conductor on the BNC at the end of the cable, a huge amount of 50Hz is picked up. If I dont', well, you could still say the center conductor is an antenna, but it would be at pretty high frequencies (the inside of the BNC connector would have to be large relative to wavelength).

Just so you can sleep at night I connected one end of the cable to CH1 and the other end to CH2. So both ends of the shield are grounded. Guess what, exact same thing happens, if I tap the cable it still generates pulses...

I posted this stuff just to entertain you guys, and also a bit to annoy kiriakos who says "blah blah it doesn't exist". I don't really think it matters that much in audio, unless it's a low level signal at high impedance, or the cable run is very long, like a piezo string pickup, a stage mic, phono, that kind of stuff.

Although, the gain structure of most hifis is so screwed up that the link between preamp and amp would qualify as low-level... since the signal gets something like 20dB attenuation in the preamp and 24dB gain in the amp, no wonder a magic cable is needed between the two...

Last edited:
Actually "low noise cable" is kind of the official name for a cable designed for low piezo/triboelectric effects. Check it out on google.

It is useful for measuring low-level signals from a high-impedance source.

You are still confused of what a coaxial cable is born to do.
It is born to transfer energy and to shield it valuable cargo from it enemies.

So this might be a misunderstanding and you don't want to seek common ground as it might be seen as a weakness - mon general?

Put away your stiff upper lips please as there will be no winner in this war.

Regards

I have a better solution which is to stop feeding the monster with the name "pointless conversion" by not getting any further email notifications about this topic.

Notice how the OP seems to have given up participation on page 1 of this thread - he's either conflicted about how amused or disappointed he should feel about watching the squabbling into which this topic inevitably devolves ( but, miraculously no libellous name calling, yet) - or has gleaned the answer, or found it elsewhere, and has left the group to its conversation

As Cal intimated earlier - this is gonna be déjà vu all over again, kiddies

Funny that unshielded twisted pairs hasn't been mentioned yet- here, let's further chum the water

You are still confused of what a coaxial cable is born to do.
It is born to transfer energy and to shield it valuable cargo from it enemies.

An audio coaxial cable does not actually have a shield, just a "send" conductor and a "return" conductor (the braid). To function as a shield, a conductor cannot carry current, for then it is no longer an equipotential surface. A twisted pair with an overall braid or foil would be a proper shielded cable.

In my early days in electronics I though copper wire was just copper wire.

For one project we needed looked at different cables for a surveillance system as the wire runs from cameras could be quite long.
We bought in a few different cables and measured the resistance of them.
I was greatly surprised at the differences between copper cables.
Some were very resistive while others were low resistance.

I guess you can use cheap cable but preferably only in short lengths.

In my early days in electronics I though copper wire was just copper wire.

For one project we needed looked at different cables for a surveillance system as the wire runs from cameras could be quite long.
We bought in a few different cables and measured the resistance of them.

I guess you can use cheap cable but preferably only in short lengths.

You surprise me with this post! I had assumed from the sum of all your previous posts I have seen that you have an engineering background.

Do you mean that different cables with the same diameter (etc) have significant different resistances?

Surely not? so what do you mean?

In my early days in electronics I though copper wire was just copper wire. For one project we needed looked at different cables for a surveillance system as the wire runs from cameras could be quite long. We bought in a few different cables and measured the resistance of them.

I'll bet that the more resistive ones had steel inner conductors.

You surprise me with this post! I had assumed from the sum of all your previous posts I have seen that you have an engineering background.

Do you mean that different cables with the same diameter (etc) have significant different resistances?

Surely not? so what do you mean?

They were all copper cables but I guess the quality of copper wasn't the same in each.
We bought a few reels from RS components.

If the copper is 99.9 or 99.99, the difference in resistivity is miniscule...... brass and gold have no place in cables, except maybe for audiophoolery......
Ther are sometimes differences in braiding density, but in terms of resistivty, very small differences between brands. Leakage figures might differ...
If same RG type of coax, the difference should be minimal below 1GHz or so...

I'm not suggesting you buy high resistivity copper alloy cables/wires.

I am suggesting that different constituents give very different resistivities.

The copper content is not a good clue to resistivity because some constituents have a much bigger effect on resistivity than others.
3 9s copper with 0.1% of bad resistivity contaminants could be very different from 9 9s copper with only oxygen as the main constituent.

I'll just leave a suggestion to a DIY cable, that is my choice in a price/performance ratio, and it shouldn't cost more than €10 to build for a 1 meter interconnect.

Cable: Van Damme - shotgun audio twin interconnect 268-500-000
RCA: HK copies of Monster Cable RCA

But if you what to know, I generally like Wireworld and Straight Wire interconnect cables. :shhh:

RG58 is around 0.017 ohms/m center conductor.... give or take maybe a few tenths for various qualities.... the true coaxial quality doesn't matter for audio, nor does the impedance or length at audio frequencies - capacity may matter...
How does less than 1 ohm impair the signal, given that load impedance is several k-ohms or even tens of k-ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.