Best hi-volt BJT's for output stage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2sa1943/2sc5200 have fT=30Mhz. They are not slow like the ON semi devices.

They are alos from Toshiba, the only difference, Toshiba had 20 more years of experience to make these than when they made the A1095.

They match or better the A1095 in other parameters like SOAR and Vce is 230v where as on the a1095 it is only 160v.

If you had suggested the a1095 some 20 years ago, I would have agreed.

Also the C5200 is easier to mount than the 2 screw A1095, if you have 40 devices to drill and mount you will see what I am talking about.

I mentioned cob only because YOU used cob as an argument for the 2sa1095 being good and I quote from your post: "low cob".

Regards,

reading data sheets

K-amps said:
Also I almost always prefer Toshiba and Sanken devices, they sound good too.

The ON/ Motorola devices have huge dies and are kind of sluggish. Even look at the MJL1302 while it has fTof 30Mhz, it has a COB of 600pf!

The MJ21193/4 is slightly better with COB of 500pf while the 2sc5200 has COB of only 200pF.

The 2SC5200 is specified at 200 pF typ. at 10 V, 1 MHz. The MJL3281A is spec'd at 600 pF max. If you look at the typical performance curve, you get 270 pF for 10 V, pretty much the same thing.

Regards,

Eric

what do u guys think of fjl4215/fjl4315 pair ?

I have used these to make a few amps; they are almost indestructible and have good sound for the price. These bjt's are made by Fairchild semiconductor and are still in sample phase.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FJ/FJL4315.html

I have a pic of them in my proto board.

I'm in new room now for testing and have yet to bring my table in, so excuse the carpet.

http://www.easyamp.com/img/60watt.jpg

If you would like schematic/parts list for it I'll email you. I'm currently trying to find out-source funding for boards and will post pics of the completed board at that time.

I have to choose between FJL4315 & its sister and the MJL4281A (open to other suggestions too) for an EF output stage to be driven from an LME49810.

What would you do? (assuming it will take tens of dollars to get these shipped i don't mind spending 5-15 more if they are going to do it well). I have noticed that the fairchild ones have a 200 pF output capacitance, while the onsemi's have 600pF, which would be very similar to my current IRFP mosfet output stage (500 pF Coss + 1500 pF Cgs * (1-0.9) (more or less) 650 pF).

I won't go higher than 60V rails.

Edit: There are some freakin' sankens at newark, but i would prefer to avoid them unless there is a wide consensus about it's good sonic qualities.

I would try the new Fairchilds.

We have discussed them before and they are interesting.
Besides, Fairchild does make very good transistors, MOSFET or BJT are of pretty high industry quality.
Nelson Pass has witnessed he often prefer them Fairchild.

Regards :)

What package you will buy?

As I recall, these Fairchild come in several different POWER package.
2SC5200/FJL4315
NPN Epitaxial Silicon Transistor
Complement to 2SA1943/FJL4215.

I would go for the most expensive
= TO-264 (150 Watt)
or possibly TO3P (130 Watt)

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FJ/FJL4315.pdf
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FJ/FJL4215.pdf
2SC5200/FJL4315
NPN Epitaxial Silicon Transistor
TO-264 150 Watt

Applications
•High-Fidelity Audio Output Amplifier ( Hi-Fi Power Amplifiers )
•General Purpose Power Amplifier

Features
•High Current Capability: IC = 15A.
•High Power Dissipation : 150watts.
•High Frequency : 30MHz.
•High Voltage : VCEO=230V
•Wide S.O.A for reliable operation.
•Excellent Gain Linearity for low THD.
•Complement to 2SA1943/FJL4215.
•Thermal and electrical Spice models are available.

•Same transistor is also available in:
-- TO3P package, 2SC5242/FJA4313 : 130 watts
-- TO220 package, FJP5200 : 80 watts
-- TO220F package, FJPF5200 : 50 watts

One note only,
which is interesting if you would use TO220 / TO-220F
for example in HeadPhone amplifier output (8 Ohm)
or as a replacement for MJE15030/MJE15031 as predrivers.

TO-220F
F = insulated version
which means you need no electrical isolation bricks to mount on heatsink.
Just mount them directly.
On the other hand the F variant of any power transistor
makes them take less heat .. as there is plastic cover onto the back.

Normally TO-220 has got DIRECT metal contact from COLLECTOR to HEATSINK.
(MOSFET has got DRAIN to heatsink)
This is why we need insulation (with silicon greese) for normal TO-220 in most applications.

I will use these as "drop down" replacement of IRFP mosfets, so i won't have any problems with isolation, as the mosfets weren't already isolated. (The amp was actually meant for bjt's, it only needs to get "jumpered out" the gate stoppers and the resistor in series with the Vbe multiplier : )

Do you know how big the die is in a Toshiba 2SC5200 compared to the 2SC3281?

Maybe they Fairchilds are smaller than the Toshibas? If you look at the SOA plot (600W for 10ms) and transient thermal impedance (0.55deg/W) you get a peak junction temperature of about 350 deg C for the 10ms SOA limit! The 100mS curve is 300W and 0.8 deg/W giving 270 deg C peak.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FJ/FJL4315.pdf

I'm not saying they won't take what is claimed, the times are pretty short and Tjmax is far below where fast destruction occurs, but maybe they don't have as large margins as the Toshibas. I remember you wrote earlier that the Toshibas are pretty rugged and can take a bit more than you might expect before dying.

It seems that other manufacturers also let the pulse SOA exceed Tjmax. For example Sanken 2SC3264:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/37/71345_DS.pdf

The 10ms curve is at 600W, transient thermal impedance is 0.35deg/W. This gives a peak temperature of 235 degrees C. This is far from 350 degrees though... The Tj of 150 is from what I understand rated after what the case epoxy can take so as long as the average temperature doesn't exceed that the epoxy shouldn't degrade as the epoxy won't have very good heat conduction from the die and also has a pretty long time constant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.