Qts is very low. Only 0.16.
Good for horn.

Qts value Description Suitable for
0.2-0.4 very strong drive horn speakers
0.3-0.5 strong drive bass reflex speakers, horns
0.4-0.6 medium drive closed cabinet speakers
0.5-0.7 weak drive transmission line speakers, dipoles
> 0.7 very weak drive dipoles, automotive: rear parcel-shelf

I rather look at EBP than QTS to determine what should be best, and even that is not absolute true, more as an indication. I made reflexes that work with QTS above 1 and sealed that work with QTS arround 0.2. btw. It's all in the implementation, not in one parameter of the driver.

mozartfan, why don't you tell us which drivers YOU have LISTENED to and the circumstances. Include details like the box and mounting. Then you would be providing new data for us to consider.

I've been designing speakers for more than half my life but I would never try to distill other peoples opinions or measurements into recommendations for stuff I've not heard myself. :eek:

Not even close. I did up a lot of FE207e. Less shouty, less issues than FE206e and did not need a horn.

dave

I
'm only going on what I've read on the Inet.

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/93572-awful-awful-fostex-speakers/

However,, then your post does raise the issue that there exists a few Fostex models that do exhibit a few spikes in some fq's ,,**The old Fostex Shout*.

Fostex has wayyy too many models and whats up with these so called **Limited Editions**,,
:confused::confused:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Foster is a huge manufacture, they have very broad markets, special editions sell very well in Japan.

Almost all Fostex suffer from “shout” to a certain level (actaully almost all FRs with significant top end do — no-one has yet reached the holy grail.

People who can ignore the shout love th edrivers, those that don’t think they suck.

I have gone to the source and worked to ameriolate the shout at the source and have been fairly successful.

My favorite Fostex is FF85wKeN, add helper woofers and you can put together a system that makes few excuses.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

(the bottoms soon to reunite with the tops and live in their new home in ON)

dave

mozartfan, why don't you tell us which drivers YOU have LISTENED to and the circumstances. Include details like the box and mounting. Then you would be providing new data for us to consider.

I've been designing speakers for more than half my life but I would never try to distill other peoples opinions or measurements into recommendations for stuff I've not heard myself. :eek:

I'll show you a few of my cabinets I built in the YT links below.
My DLVX8's are housed in 1 cabinet 30 inches H the other 28.5 inches H
Measured once, cut 3 times to get it close to matching up,,gaps all over the place, = extra porting??

You can place the DLVX8 in a cardboard box, and with muisc that does not go below 200 hz,s it ;'ll sound great.
Card Board box. Yes you read that right.

I already posted what I heard above in this topic.

Post #144

Here's my cabinet skills

No none of the sides line up perfectly, all are mm's off...:(:mad:
This Yellow cone Davidlouis needs a home $250/FREE ship
Its good, but not worth the $471 I paid.

You can skip my blabbbing and go straight to the music if you wish
1:40
Zero Shout

DavidLouis 6.5 /91 TRUE db sens range 45hz-14khz - YouTube

Here's my top dawg.
Love this VX8 soooo much, will purchase his lil brother VX6 and attempt to place in this same cabinet,, if it works in testing,, then I'll cut a hole below the VX8 and add a 2nd post at top.
The W4 is gone, good but betting the VX6 will be the real deal.
Dual FR's.
Just crazy

Music starts at 4:20
Zero Shout

DavidLouis VX8+DavidLouisW4 w N/d magnet + W18+ Kasun paper tweeter - YouTube

Foster is a huge manufacture, they have very broad markets, special editions sell very well in Japan.

Almost all Fostex suffer from “shout” to a certain level (actaully almost all FRs with significant top end do — no-one has yet reached the holy grail.

People who can ignore the shout love th edrivers, those that don’t think they suck.

I have gone to the source and worked to ameriolate the shout at the source and have been fairly successful.

My favorite Fostex is FF85wKeN, add helper woofers and you can put together a system that makes few excuses.

(the bottoms soon to reunite with the tops and live in their new home in ON)

dave

WOW
love the wood grains/color, What type of wood is this?
Where do you buy this wood?

So these WK's , W3, W4, W4.5 all have near zero Shout,,I;'ll keep it in mind.

**Nearly all FR suffer to soem degree of shout...** paraphrase.

The Davidlouis yellow cone 6 has no shout.

The DavidLouis VX8 also no shout, nada, zero.
You can listen closely to all my DL vis, and not hear any shout, nor coloration, nada.

I actually believe I've discovered the Holy Grail.
I've had this firm belief for some months now.
After having cked all avaliable FR, I drew this conclusion

Caveat
AER and Voxatix are excluded from the above statement,,,for me , neither even have existence

Paul, the speakers posted in #225 above are Baltic birch plywood case, book matched flat sliced American black walnut with Jatoba hardwood accent pieces. It took some careful selection of material and pattern layout, but I managed to wrap all 4 enclosures from a single 4x8ft sheet of paper backed veneer. They turned out quite nicely, and those little Peerless mid woofers are quite surprising, actually.

Having built numerous of Dave’s designs using the FF85WK, either alone or in WAW with either the Peerless, Silver Flute & maybe even old CSS SDX7(?), I’d have to concur on that particular model of Fostex. While the FF165WK can deliver substantially more bass in a well engineered enclosure -such as FHXL, or Woden Victor - I find there’s special about the ‘85.

You can listen closely to all my DL vis, and not hear any shout, nor coloration, nada.

No doubt you think so, but I wonder how it comes to be that it sounds ghastly to me (and others), with major midband colouration, the usual rising response & obvious peaking in the lower treble region (aka 'shout'). And that from a lousy youtube video, where quality invariably sucks like a guppy fish that's inadvertently found itself on a high altitude weather balloon and has discovered it is not quite equal to the situation.

I've had this firm belief for some months now.
After having cked all avaliable FR, I drew this conclusion

So firm a belief that only a couple of days ago you were ranting about how certain you were that the Fostex FExx8ESigma range were far better than anything else. How do you square this interesting contradiction?

Caveat
AER and Voxatix are excluded from the above statement,,,for me , neither even have existence

Which is presumably why you rarely miss an opportunity of mentioning them.

Paul, the speakers posted in #225 above are Baltic birch plywood case, book matched flat sliced American black walnut with Jatoba hardwood accent pieces. It took some careful selection of material and pattern layout, but I managed to wrap all 4 enclosures from a single 4x8ft sheet of paper backed veneer. They turned out quite nicely, and those little Peerless mid woofers are quite surprising, actually.

Just googled American Black Walnut,, wowo stunning grains/colors, Just super.
$$$$ I'm sure.\

Ck out my Tennessee Cerdar wood I pull from old armoire's.
I LOVE this wood,
Just found one comming from tech's shop on sunday,,,,thanks to my alzhiemers,,,I forgot to turn onto Airline Hwy to go to Harbor Frieght, instead went up causeway,,and low N behold, off on the twin side street, huge pile of trash, a T Cedar cabinet.

Sometimes Alzhiemers works to my advantage:)

No doubt you think so, but I wonder how it comes to be that it sounds ghastly to me (and others), with major midband colouration, the usual rising response & obvious peaking in the lower treble region (aka 'shout'). And that from a lousy youtube video, where quality invariably sucks like a guppy fish that's inadvertently found itself on a high altitude weather balloon and has discovered it is not quite equal to the situation.

So firm a belief that only a couple of days ago you were ranting about how certain you were that the Fostex FExx8ESigma range were far better than anything else. How do you square this interesting contradiction?

Which is presumably why you rarely miss an opportunity of mentioning them.

I had a hunch this might be the opinion of some here..
Look these speakers go cheap,,well relatively, vs AER/Vox's outrageous mega G asking prices.

Everyone put up $50, get a pair and send it around.

If you decide on the VX6,,at the end of its testing journey,,I'll buy it up, at full price.
I plan to add it to my VX8.
Double wammy, Double trouble,
It'll bea
W
FR
FR
T(Philips 163T8 Pulled from a Scotts 1970's speaker)
W
gizmo

:eek:

Not sure what you think you are hearing in my vids, the speaker in real time is simply stunning.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So these WK's , W3, W4, W4.5 all have near zero Shout.

The 85wk is better than the 105, the 125 is bad in that respect and needs 100s of hours to calm down.

And they all benefit from some simple tweaks.

The Davidlouis yellow cone 6 has no shout.

Then it either has no top end or a vintage one well exemplifies by Alpair 6.2p/10p/12p.

It does not exist.

dave

Then it either has no top end

How did ya guess, Top end is rolled a bit too early.
But as I say, a tweeter can handle highs.
Bass too a bit too rolled.

Mids a tiny bit stressed.
I'm looking for perfection in all mid band, low mids to highs mids. [erfection, nothing less.
In my book this qualifies as The Holy Grail.
This troubador is not backing down.
A W4 might have equal mids to a W8, but lacks bass extention,. Besides i did visit some YT vids on the 85wk,,

:confused:

Nobody is asking you to 'back down', since you are entitled to your beliefs -providing you don't attempt to impose them on the rest of us as if they were some kind of universally applicable fact.

However, as noted, you have yet to explain why you believe this to be the 'holy grail', yet only a couple of days ago were 'certain' that Fostex drive units were superior.