Best electrolytic capacitors

I'm using the Cavalli hybrid amp as the test tool and playing with the power supplies using that unusual 'Charge Transfer' circuit of John Brown's (EC Design) to feed AMB Labs Sigma 11 regulator - I thought that was a rather good combination but after playing with Teddy Pardu's regulator, I added a Cap Multiplier after the Sigma 11 reg and this just seemed a better overall sound, despite the convoluted series of filter networks <snip>

It's a pity those PS regulator designs are "closed", commercial types instead of DIY. Even eBay power supplies allow some playing with the discrete parts. That would allow trying discrete parts, particularly capacitors, before and after the regulators, tuning them to compare results. That would allow sharing results among readers here, instead of measurements that are hard to repeat without rather expensive instruments.

Not a critic, just wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read it now:

Vishay BCcomponents

BCcomponents (Beyschlag Centralab components), a leading manufacturer of passive electronic components, emerged from Philips Electronics Components division in January 1999. Building upon the tradition of excellence associated with Beyschlag, Philips, and Centralab, BCcomponents carried out, in close cooperation with customers, a continuous process of product innovation and improvement. This tradition of excellence included the development of several products that have become industry standards, such as SMD Mini-MELF resistors (branded Vishay Beyschlag) and a range of aluminum capacitors with industry-leading temperature capabilities. BCcomponents earned the status of preferred supplier to many of the world's leading electronics companies.

Vishay acquired BCcomponents in December 2002. The former BCcomponents product portfolio is now divided into Vishay Beyschlag and Vishay BCcomponents. Products branded Vishay Beyschlag include thin film and carbon film MELF resistors, thin film and cermet film chip resistors, and leaded metal film and carbon film resistors. The latest developments include thin film chip arrays, and thin and thick film chip fuses. Products branded Vishay BCcomponents include leaded metal film and metal glaze resistors, non-linear and variable components, and ceramic, aluminum, and film capacitors.

Hi Jesper
The BP’s comes with one lead which is longer which is suppose to be the positive.

In case that you already cut the leads, through varification on all my collection of BPs, the none printed side of the Green sleeve is the positve leg.

The last couple of days I’d been mucking around with this on PS of my SdTrans384 & my findings are consistent be it BG N, Nx or BP. Just flip the BP on my amp module & again I hear the difference as well.
That's interesting, I will have a look later, thanks for the tip... :)
In the case of these bipolar xover caps, which have same lenght legs, I presume the left ringed side is the "positive"?? :scratch2:

@Monte McGuire: Hi Monte ... & thank you very much for outlining the setup you use. It actually is quite similar to what I did use although I have chosen to focus a bit more on HF distortion phenomena (and economy ;-)) and therefore use an AD7760 evaluation board (2.5 MHz Fs, 24 bits resolution) in my setup. I also use one of Victor's oscillators (12 kHz version). I wonder though if there is some kind of systematic inconsistency here ... ? This morning I re-read some of Cyril Bateman's capacitor articles and - besides learning something new - I still notice that his distortion figures appear to be way higher than yours. One caveat to this could be that I do not completely know how to work with the dBV figure - so just to make sure .. Your: corresponds to a distortion level of 0.0000025% 2nd harmonic (ref. 1 Vp)?

In any case CB in his sixth article on capacitors measured both an Elna Silmic (I think it was Silmic I) and a Black Gate 100uF and with a 12 VDC bias 2H for the Silmic was - 94.4 dB, (0.002%), and for the BG -95.9 dB (0.0016%). Both were 25 VDC types so reasonably close voltage-wise to the one you have measured. Test signal levels were 0.1 V AC.This is quite a difference - about 800 times - so I just wonder how this happens ... I would have liked to attach a pdf of CBs paper but the file is 13 kB too big for forum limits. Should you be interested send me a PM with an email & I can email it to you.

I found my copy of part 6 of Bateman’s paper published in Electronics World, 1-2003, but thanks for the offer!

I think the primary difference between our measurements is due to the drive level used on the caps, the value of the caps, and the way we quote the results. Bateman is driving a 100µF cap at 100Hz through a 10Ω resistor at a level such that 0.1V is developed across the cap. A 100µF capacitor has an impedance of 15.9Ω at 100Hz, so developing 0.1 V across that cap will require a current of 159mA. My drive levels with a 470µF cap at 2kHz are around 47mA, with about 0.01V (-41.2dBV) developed across the cap, so I would expect my results to show lower distortion, both because my drive current levels are smaller, and also because my cap is larger, so it will develop less voltage across it at a given drive current.

Rather than use dBV, which is my primary measurement data, I need to convert the voltages I measured to the relative ratios that Bateman uses in order to be able to compare the numbers directly. In this particular test, my data says that the 470µF Silmic II cap has -41.2dBV of 2kHz across it, and a 2nd harmonic level of -162.1dBV, and that means that the relative distortion figure of the cap is -120.9dB. His value of -94.4dB is not that far away, considering the 20dB drive voltage difference and the resulting ~12dB drive current difference between our two different test methods.

So, I have no reason to doubt Bateman’s results, but I will say that I am designing no circuits that will put 160mA of signal current into their bypass caps during normal operation. I’m also pretty sure that the Audio Precision APx555 that I use can’t produce 160mA of clean output into any load, and an external amplifier will probably have a higher distortion residual than the APx555, further complicating the issue. Therefore, I cannot reproduce his results directly. Still, the actual numbers from Bateman’s tests, as well as my tests, are useful for relative comparisons of different capacitor types, since they are both reliable measurements of distortion relative to the test equipment residual, and they can provide insight into the relative merit of one capacitor type compared to another.

However, it’s not clear how these high drive measurements will relate to the typically much smaller drive applications in typical audio circuits. To be fair, given the relatively high distortion residual of Bateman’s DIY analyzer, it is important for him to increase the drive level to the caps in order to get the capacitor’s distortion significantly above his analyzer residual, in order to produce reliable data, and he’s managed to do that. But again, it’s not clear how these levels relate to a real circuit, since it depends on how the capacitor is being used. An amplifier’s power supply bypass cap could pass a ripple current equal to the amplifier’s output current, but in a typical home audio circuit at typical signal levels, these currents are usually on the order of 1mA or often much less, sometimes 10-100µA. This is vastly different from a 160mA drive level, so it might not be warranted to be alarmed at easily measurable capacitor distortion figures with these gargantuan drive levels.

To sum it up, I think I’ve shown how Bateman’s numbers and those I’ve obtained are not that far apart, but the issue of “whether it matters or not” is up for debate, depending on one’s application. I measured these capacitors to determine how they would work in a specific circuit I’m designing, with a specific drive level in mind, and by the results obtained, pretty much all of the caps I’ve tested are good enough with regards to distortion - other parameters are more important to me, such as expected lifetime. This is because my circuit uses regulators after the caps that add another 60-70dB of attenuation to these distortion products, and the amplifier stages that the regulators drive have very high (100dB+) power supply rejection on their own, so they are insensitive to this problem by design. Still, I needed to verify the magnitude of this potential issue, and I’m happy with the results.

However, these caps can be applied as power supply rail bypasses for discrete amplifier circuits that have low or zero power supply rejection ratio, so the errors of these caps in those circuits can be directly coupled to the output of such a circuit, making these distortion levels possibly matter a whole lot. Maybe -120dB or -94dB distortion levels aren’t good enough for such circuits, so closer scrutiny of these caps is warranted.

It all depends on how your circuit works, and where you’re applying the caps. Blanket pronouncements that vilify or sanctify caps without any context as to how the caps are used are counterproductive statements.

Found the article about snubbers / rectifiers (maybe not all of you have seen it)

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/snubber.pdf
Come on guys. Go and read the Quasimodo thread and buy one of the boards. No math needed and you can determine the snubbers values with a scope. Just turn the pot until the pulse is damped optimally then measure the required resistance. And the snubber is not across the diode it is prior to the rectifier as it knocks out the oscillation caused by the diode switching interacting with the inductance of the transformer winding.