Best electrolytic capacitors

I just wanted to share some opinions and experience on electrolytics that I have gained through several recapping projects over the last couple years.
Project 1: KPS20i CD player- I originally intended to recap this with original caps only to find they weren't available in original format. Nichicon claimed to replace the VX with VR & that they were equivalent. I recapped main supply with the VR series only to find the sound to be totally different. Bass was much thinner & the sound was not nearly as smooth. I did some research to find that the VR series & VX series have totally different specs. The VX have a much lower DC leakage current which I now beleive to be one of the secrets to the smoothness & powerful bass on this unit. I did more research to find that the Nichicon fine gold series has almost the exact same specs as the older VX series. I replaced all possible with fine gold series & the higher values with VX axial caps(Had to jumper some of these to fit).Now sound is smooth & bass is deep just like factory. I also experimented with replacing sprague 515D with Elna similac II in output section but ended going back with the sprague. Although the Elna is a surperior cap,. Krell had fine tuned the frequency response of this around the spragues. This leads me to believe you are better off not modifying a well designed unit on the output stages due to manufacturer bypassing these with high end film caps for flat response.
Project 2:Krell CD-DSP-I replaced the 470uf red caps at regulator stages with Nichicon Muse caps. This seemed to increase bass response of unit. These are also large low leakage caps simular to ones in first project .Bass is not as deep as KPS but definately deeper than original.
Project 3:Nakamichi PA-1 Power amp. I began this project by just recapping different stages with originals one at time to see which caps made the most difference in sound quality-basically I was just going from a old cap to a newer one of exact same type here. I was surprised with results.. Replacing main power caps made almost no difference,replacing coupling caps made little difference. The huge difference on this unit came from replacing the 470uf muse which appears to be on some type of feedback circuit(I don't fully understand the circuit on this one) C105(Left Channel) and 205(right channel and 705 center.
My next upgrade to this unit was replacing the standard coupling caos with higher end ones. I tried Nichicon KW series)(I have seen these used as coupling caps in alot of units) I also tried Elna similac II based on reading this thread & to me the similacs are superior when used as coupling cap on this unit. Clearer vocals & smoother sound overall.
My next project will be recapping CD pickup assembly with several differnt types of caps. It is a Phillips CDM1 mk II. any ideas on this one would be appreciated. Not sure to go with low leakage or low esr type on this. I will share results once I get throough it.

Thanks it helps a lot, because I like the old Vx (many CD players moded... Lukas Fikuz virus!!!).
For signal cap in CD players I found that the old polarized green Nichicon Muse are better than most of the cap even two Silmic (1 or 2, the 1 serie is smoother) in reverse-serie : +--+ (2 x 100 uf /25V is equal to 50 uf / 50 V, I use wrapping between the two minus and no solder). The newer electric green Muse for coupling are less less better trhan the older ?! In fact for my hears it's better than a normal MKP ! IMHOJust the ERO KP 1832 (but small value !) or Rifa X²filtering KP with paper dielectric are better... after you can deal with Lundhal or the best film coupling cap

Which parameter from the dozens listed in the datasheet needs to be best?

Only once you know which parameters need to be optimised/compromised for a particular circuit duty can you eliminate those products that cannot perform as well as more suitable product.

But can any multi-parameter component ever be "best"?

Sure. it's a wisdom speaking, everybody notice that. But as I don't know exactly translate the parameters of a cap read in a datasheet into sounding signature !

So i don't know what to look for who needs change ! I use experience and empirical method and I see that most of them use that and speak about particulars caps they loved in a certain situation !

often we hear about ESR or dielectric but in fact we see it's not universal (e.g. xith os-con), of course there is subjective and audio system behind (I don't like BG sound even BG NX) but many agree with some ref : Elna Silmic, Nichicon KZ)

A lot of the sound quality differences that get reported are down to builders "guessing" at what component needs changing and guessing at what component to select to replace that "faulty" component.

I reckon that many guess the wrong component to change and then substitute an unsuitable component in that wrong location.
This will lead to many potential differences in performance some of which will be audible.

We need to stop guessing.
We need to become more scientific, else our conclusions are bound to be flawed.

Asking questions is the beginning of science and test the answers wich form the beginning of a theory is 100% scientific.

Stopping guessing is not scientific when I stop guessing about audio is just to listen music.
You say change tthe faulty component is too simple because it's too simple and you have to look global. It's not false but sometimes we can tune with a cap and have better or different result which sound better (or different) in a way we like in our Hifi system.
Ok there is science but it's here cooking too :you need to adapt your system and the best part could be not the good one sometimes...so little advises and guessing are good to read.

Last edited:
A lot of the sound quality differences that get reported are down to builders "guessing" at what component needs changing and guessing at what component to select to replace that "faulty" component.

I reckon that many guess the wrong component to change and then substitute an unsuitable component in that wrong location.
This will lead to many potential differences in performance some of which will be audible.

We need to stop guessing.
We need to become more scientific, else our conclusions are bound to be flawed.

Yes, I agree. But this requires a process for measurements, wich allow clearly conclusions to the perception sonic character.
A THD measurement is unfortunately not sufficient to such a conclusion.

Last edited:
Maybe both measurement and empirical. because Hifi systems is a chain you have to compensate somewhere with setting.

As said because it's a chain what is faulty, one component, a group of components, the design, the layout, the rest of the chain: speakers, room? Where have I to measure in this chain ? the faulty component at the right place, the opposite... or elsewhere ?

I think an engineer after school is not good enough with "science" to make a hifi system sing. But after experience and the mix of both: yes he cans. Like Hiraga, Pass, Kaneda, etc.

Some modest diyers like me can compensate their system with just experience and without or not to much science. We can learn too for pleasure with the good advises and the exchange of opinions.:).

Sorry, to much speaking...:D

Substituting the wrong component into a well behaving amplifier can reduce the performance.
THIS IS MEASURABLE.

If this badly behaving amplifier is listened to instead of measured and listened to then conclusion can be drawn that are completely misleading to any other experimenters that do not MEASURE to prove their modified amplifier is NOT misbehaving.

That is the problem as I see it. Too many guess and do not measure the potential effects and others then copy the modification (maybe in a different location or even in a different amplifier) and come to different conclusions.

Not everyone can obtain measuring tools so the only next best possibility is to buy the highest-grade "word on the street' part for the so called "upgrade".

I still use Elna Silmic II's even today.
All i know is it's silky and has OFC leads. :rolleyes:
Big Big Fan.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For Film Capacitors these are my favorite two:
Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold Oil
Jantzen Silver/Gold Z-Cap

For Power Supply, seems to me as though Panasonic FR/Nichicon PW are the best when in available value/voltage.

Last edited:
paper vs hemp

The Hempic 2 are better than the Hempic 1. After them everything sounds good but you need paper before... maybe with oil !

I have to stop and try measurement; I play last week with a litle cd player Philips 614. I tried 20 differents caps after the 5V reg. All 47 uf 25V and just one is very better than the others. It's a bad cap, very high esr, which is logic to be better after a regulator like LM 78005. but if I take a cap with a higher ESR like a tantal, the result is worse.

I suppose we can measure that, but where have I to measure and what have I to measure to obtain datas which are the sames that my ears choose (best sound=best part in a comon shortcut)? Because without many theoric knowledge, most of them like me doesn't know how to measure which is compensated (offset) with the changed part!

For the reg, I believe with my few knowledge that the 47 uf cap change the impedance curve. Was itr possible to choose the cap only with the measurement ?

Without hijack this thread is it better or not to ask : What is the best cap in relation to the position ine the shematic ? (In the ideal an theoric case where all the others parts are goods in the system and the caps are said to be the "failty parts").

I really dont understand onething that ive tried using silmic in various values as much as 1uf to 100uf but even with 1uf the sound looses its sparkle everywhere in terms of toms or especially snare and even the electric and even acoustic guitar everything gets very rounded the strange thing is that even with 1uf it gets rounded which is not accepted...

I dont understand one thing that why silmics are being appreciated.

I have even tried them in different locations like only at the output transistor decoupling and even only for the vas section but but it doesnt sound good but somewhere I see a clear picture that harmonically it has something unique signature but why am I loosing the sparkle... what is the solution.. its like ... i like the signature but again i dont like... why is it happening...

Do I need to use silmic2 only in the pre amplification section?

did anybody observed this thing happening...

"Elna RFS (SILMIC II) Series Miniature High Grade Capacitors for Audio uses silk fibers for foil separation instead of paper. By using silk fibers, the RFS (SILMIC II) Series Capacitors offer high grade sound for audio design. Due to the silk fiber's pliability, the capacitor exhibits a superior acoustic sound. The RFS (SILMIC II) Series Miniature High Grade Capacitors can be used to relieve the music's harmonic vibration, increase the purity of the sound at high frequency, decrease muddy sound at middle frequency, and increase high energy bass sound at low frequency."

Whoa.... This is just creepy.