Best diodes for generic power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No Andrew, it is mistake - JC is for me great ideal... his knowledges are great and he is man of worth... But two times I was asking him for listenig results and two times I was ignored.... I will never try it again.... In all hifi are now many superstitions and I can to know " uncolored " thruth, 'cos I like it very much.... ;)

Bear in mind that 99.99% of all high-end gear have regular diodes.

What I use as the basis of my own conclusions. I too agree that the humble power diode designed years ago is still in use.

---

Over-engineering with parts that were designed for other purposes does not always make something better. I don't think faster means better. The only thing that I can imagine that could come into play here is what has already been mentioned.

A properly designed "system" would be less susceptible to power diode issues. If your AMP or PREAMP is affected by the diodes... maybe it's not so good?

when are we going to kill this over-flogged horse -- you can see the effect of a diode's junction capacitance when you use an EI core transformer (with large leakage inductance) -- I said you can see itwith a scope but I don't know if you can hear it in an application which draws a few amps. If you are an analog circuit designer trying to squeeze out acuracy in the LSB's then it's germaine.

the diode capacitance forms a "tank" circuit with the transformer and will oscillate -- the cure is inexpensive -- an RC network in parallel with the diode is the simplest cure.

folks like OnSemi, Fairchild, ST Micro, Cornell Dublier, International Rectifier pay a lot of attention to diode noise issues.

For me, I use MUR860's, MBR20100's, 1N4007's.

No doubt it's a regularly debated issue, but a circuit like this using standard power diodes makes for a good supply.

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,573
Upupa Epops said:
No Andrew, it is mistake - JC is for me great ideal... his knowledges are great and he is man of worth... But two times I was asking him for listenig results and two times I was ignored.... I will never try it again.... In all hifi are now many superstitions and I can to know " uncolored " thruth, 'cos I like it very much.... ;)

Everyone involved in serious design and research employing scientific methods is going to avoid discussing listening tests. That's because we all have a long experience in listening tests and we know very well that these tests never ever give the same result twice. On the other hand, salesmen will always use these tests as a tool to persuade customers because they know quite well that the result is highly self-biased and random.

Trying to find serious repeatable criteria to "improve" audio gear by listening to it is like trying to repair a broken amplifier employing a "speacial" multimeter that has a 50% error in its measurements and the display never *ever* reads the same twice.

You will never find two people doing "listening research" reaching the same results, but you will see them always arguing, as opposed to people employing scientific methods that will usually end up agreeing. Then again, you can repeat any scientific test that I have previously done and you will obtain exactly the same results, but you won't be able to repeat a listening test carried out by anyone else.

In fact, that kind of people expend their whole life switching equipment and trying new exotic components, as they become tired of everything quite quickly without finding any solid criteria. They have even invented the "component burn-in" concept in a desperate attempt to explain the randomness and the lack of repeatability of our own hearing.

Every human being should learn and understand the limitations of our own bodies and senses, instead of blaming other stuff for it.

Elso Kwak said:
Tell that to Stradivarius and Johannes Ruckers Eva!
:rolleyes:

They wouldn't have gained any reputation if they hadn't been able to get repeatable results through a very scientific mind, that allowed them to understand very well what they were doing through experimentation.

Are you trying to compare that with a bunch of audiophiles throwing fashionable capacitors at their gear without knowing how to bias a transistor (or a tube for that matter)? It's ridiculous. They neither know what they are doing nor they will ever know or reach any solid criteria. Not to mention that after three months they will have already thrown away their current equipment (with all the non-sense mods inside) and bought new more fashionable stuff.

Remember that for any Stradivarius-like genius we got, there were also thousands of gossip people that were never able to get repeatable results, and though they probably made a lot of money by selling snake oil and telling nice stories, nobody remembers them now.

Do I have to mention that Beethoven composed nice music, just by mind, while he was *deaf*? In fact, a very powerful mind is required in order to filter out the remarkable amounts of false information that out hearing system gathers. It's sad but we have to accept that our hearing lacks a lot of precision and is very poor in comparison with other species (that can precisely locate and perceive things happening thousands of meters away). By far, our most precise sense is sight (and of course we have a lot of thinking power, altough we seldom use it).

Lesson to learn: If you venture into this forum, you need to be ready for Eva's scrutiny.

In all fairness to those trying to "improve" their gear by replacing each component with a more expensive version, you need to notice that there are a lot of commercial interests out there perpetuating this cult.

And the number of these commercial parties is growing. They grow by inventing a new pseudo-science, and then nourishing the ego of their cult members by reassuring them that they have understood this science.
It's a way for someone to feel they excel at something which they would not be able to understand if objectivity were enforced.

It's all ego for the cult member. And it's all money for the cult leader. Two very strong market driving forces.

You'll often see some of those cult leaders blurt out some samples of subjective logic: "...I like a diode at this position...", or "...I don't like high-value capacitors here..."

If they were ever in the surgical intensive care ward of a hospital, I hope they will accept a doctor who throws out all the monitoring equipment, and starts using his nose and his ear to decide how to treat the dying patient.

Andy

Interesting that someone brings up Stradivarius. Many people search and search for his "secret".

It is generally agreed that the violins he built later in life were the best. Years and years of perfecting a craft and making steady and methodic changes.

Those who have achieved similar results in the modern day have said that Stradivarious had no secret (no magic capacitor). They say that his "secret" was merely doing everything right... absolutely everything. He knew and understood every aspect of his craft thoroughly.

Sounds like science...

Keep in mind... you never fully know the sound of a violin until it is assembled... and it is not easy to reverse assembly and correct prior mistakes. I imagine he was highly motivated to make violins and not firewood.

:)

Poobah,

---Those who have achieved similar results in the modern day have said that Stradivarious had no secret (no magic capacitor). They say that his "secret" was merely doing everything right... absolutely everything. He knew and understood every aspect of his craft thoroughly.---

It reminds me Andrei Tarkovski's film "Andrei Roublev".
Its last part shows the making of a huge bell under the orders of a boy. He pretends to possess the "know how" from his father who just died. I won't tell the end of the story.

Hi Poobah,
In an other thread, Quasi suggested you needed a hair-cut. I've seen you have been to the hair dresser. But not for the intended aim.

regards ~~~~ Forr

§§§

Voicing parts

There is nothing wrong with voicing parts in your equipment. Even when these parts are boutique quality.......
I do it all the time with transistors, FETs, caps, resistors.......
:cool:

PS. the secret of Stadivarius, Johannes Ruckers and other ancient instrument builders.......? Good listening ability! Seldom found with electronic engineers; hahaha now Jocko, Charly Hansen and others are rolling over me!
:clown:

Re: Voicing parts

Elso Kwak said:
... the secret of Stadivarius, Johannes Ruckers and other ancient instrument builders.......? Good listening ability! Seldom found with electronic engineers; hahaha now Jocko, Charly Hansen and others are rolling over me!
:clown: [/B]

It is not clear that Stradivarius' product was only a result of listening ability, or that today's subjectivist afficionados share any skills with the violin maker.

The fact that one bases decisions on what they hear (or think they hear) does not demonstrate good listening ability. Not any more than using your head to hammer a nail into the wall would demonstrate good thinking ability.

Many may have had good listening ability in Stradivarius' days, and did not produce violins.
Having good listening ability does not, unfortunately allow us to manufacture a speaker, or a violin, or a trombone for that matter.

You are attempting to attribute subjectivity to someone who may have used a high level of objectivity in implementing his craft. Stradivarius may have liked to use some today's sophisticated equipment, if he were given the chance. Since he is not available for comment, none of us can really say for sure.
The Stradivarius analogy is probably not very relevant.

Everyone has a baggage of well-rehearsed analogies to support their own opinions and beliefs.

As for engineers lacking listening skills, it is not clear where this fact comes from, of if it is even a fact.

When you hear someone praise fast-recovery rectifiers because they (the TO220 case) "are cool looking", the form-over-function credo stares you in the face. Noone should care how a diode looks, *unless* they intend to show it to friends...

( EGO !!! )

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.