Best 8 inch woofer?

Both models?
And another thing... how much does impedance curves and inductance really matter when directly coupled to a powerful solid state amplifier and EQ'd at line level?
Not sure I understand your question.

Impedance and inductance doesn't really matter at all when it comes to breakup.

I'm not skilled enough to know if line level vs. speaker level attenuation of breakup is equivalent. (i.e. can you EQ a notch at line level for the L26 only and attenuate breakup? dunno)

All I was saying was no breakup / notch attenuation is needed if crossing either L26 / L22 at 220 / 400Hz respectively is needed, as you are already > 40dB down by the breakup point. I recall not measuring any elevated 3rd (at ~ 1333Hz) or 5th order (~ 800Hz) distortion on the L26 output with LP filter in place.

Not sure I understand your question.

Impedance and inductance doesn't really matter at all when it comes to breakup.
I was referring to either the L22 with 4 layer voice coil, or the regular one. They g have quite different specs.

Then I referred to the influence of inductance and impedance, when it comes to sound quality, if pulled directly by an amplifier or via a passive network.
I can imagine the active approach having way more creative freedom.

Reactions: 1 user
I just saw that the JBL 728G has become available from speaker exchange:
https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/jbl-5047951x-model-728g-8-woofer-for-lsr708i/

At the time that I was looking into a high excursion high performance 8-inch woofer for a two-way, this was my dream device. T/S parameters were only published for its predecessor, and it was assumed they are very close in their specs:

The specs of 218F are:
fs: 45
Qts: 0.38
Qms: 4.2
Qes: 0.42
Vas: 26*
EFF: 0.55
PE: 200
Xmax: 15.7
Re: 1.8
Le 0.15
Sd: 0.215
Bl: 6.1
Mms: 31

*(must be liters, despite they say imperial cu ft, which does not make sense at all)
Judging from this ebay pictures of the 218F, basket is the same, but diaphragm material was somewhat changed from reinforced paper bulb to some coating of sorts:

218F:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

728G:
5047951X-3.jpg 5047951X-5.jpg 5047951X-6.jpg 5047951X-1.jpg

Last edited:
Celestain CF0820BMB
Seems like a very stiff suspension, with a Cms of just 0,31mm/N. To me, that means that you won't get bass below around 125Hz from this driver, without a ported cabinet. That means, I'm out :giggle:
It's probably a great driver, I just can't see that either price or function, leaves it anything to desire above all the hifi drivers already mentioned.

Love that track! The "snap" can be influenced by many factors including frequency response, directivity, enclosure alignment, XO freq, XO order, listening room acoustics, speaker position, listener position, etc.

Did you at least match up the SB23NRX freq resp to the woofer you compared it to?
Didn't see your question mark - sorry.
Yes, I did match them both in frequency and level.
I believe that maybe I'm drawn towards hard cones, because I have mostly found them enjoyable in midranges and tweeters, therefor - maybe wrongly - thinking that woofers benefit from the same material - for my likings - and to make me sleep better at night :giggle:

Yesterday we were around 20 people meeting up to have our annual "Christmas" HIFI-meeting, and we have a little game, where we use dice to hit a "six". When you do, you take a gift from a pile, that have to be HIFI related. I didn't win anything, but hopefully made someone happy with an older pair of AE midranges that I donated to the game. During this, someone else won a pair of 22W Discovery drivers, and I got a chance to "fondle" these. A very soft cone, which I find difficult to believe, will be able to make a strong piston-like motion in heavy bass. So... I still think RS225, WF223, L22, might be my kind of option, since they have that stiffer cone.
Oh... the quest is still on :LOL:

A question for those who are familiar with the Wavecor WF223BD01 / BD02. How would you assess them in terms of build quality, and unit to unit consistency?

In the US they are priced around $200. Do you think that is a good value, relative to other speakers in that price range?

j.

Actually, no. I want to know if you think it is a good value... "you" being a general term for anyone with experience with this woofer.

A ScanSpeak discovery 8" is less expensive. A scanspeak revelator 8" is considerably more. A Satori WO24P is somewhat more. A Dayton RS225 is considerably less... Given the alternatives, is Wavecor a good value... So what are some thoughts on the Wavecor?

Jim, I have not used those drivers in particular, but I have found that Wavecor drivers in general seem to be higher priced than the majority. The cost per unit for the vendor is pretty good, but the MSRP and such related makes the retail price skyrocket. I have found some of them to be hit or miss for me in terms of sound quality, and some have pretty wobbly responses compared to some other brands. Stamped frames in drivers should not cost as much as some of their drivers do. 30mm tweeters usually have flatter response from other vendors than some of theirs do.

I believe the prices fluctuate quite a lot with country.

The Dayton is almost half the price in the US in constrast to here, and we pay equivalent to 150$ for the Wavecor, where you pay 200.

The Satori WO24 is exactly double the price of the Wavecor WF223BD02 here - 300$

Actually the Dayton RS225, WF223BD02, SB23NRX and the Seas L22 is almost all the same price here in Denmark - around 150$.

The Discovery 22W can be found at around 110-120$.

So for me, it's not about the built quality or price, but more about finding the best for my use, since they are all well made - even though we did have a few bad shipments of Dayton drivers, where the gluing and alligning was not fully up to the level of others. I did not have issues with the RS125 and RS390 that I have though, which is why it's not a worry for me.

I have had good enjoyment with Eton 11" HEX, which also had very high Qms and hybrid cone, also the bass from Focal Alto Utopia BE, which also use some kind of glass-fiber mix for its cone and generaly highish Qms.

So even though Qms and cone material is definitely not a perfect indicator of sound preference. I can't help to allow myself to follow that pattern, especially when most other paramteres point in the same direction.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/the-significance-of-high-qms.120505/

Good drivers also seem to have a very good ventilation under and around the spider, which Purifi, Seas, Scan speak and Wavecor absolutely all include in their design.

Ok - I was just surprised how soft the 22W Discovery cone was - considering that the paper/glass fiber mix can be totally different. But what do you mean by "hazardous"?
English is not my native language where I can express subtle things. For me "hazardous" mean your criteria to classify hard/soft cone is not enough precise.
Some materials have better stiffness than metal, Fiberglass, Keyvlar, Carbonfiber, Aerogel etc. these materials could be used in other area like automotive with better results in stiffness and lightness. And in Audio for cone speaker they have good properties at low frequency as good as metal cone.
For me Fiberglass cone is a hard cone. An other characteristic is damping, how the material deaden the resonance, some exhibit peak or not but it is not mean if you have or not a big peak you have a stiff material.