"Best" 5" midrange for three way 24dB active for around $80 to $140

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aurum Cantus AC130/CK50???

Considering manufacturer's spec are mostly unreliable, Zaph's data is much welcome. The Q(ts) is higher which is good. The Fs is higher slightly which is ok. The most encouraging is:
John "Zaph" Krutke said:
Class leading non-linear distortion.

But some warning too:
John "Zaph" Krutke said:
The only real downside to this driver is a ragged top end that would require some work to hammer into a target slope. It's too bad they didn't use the cone from the AC130F1, it's one of the best cones made aside from the Scan Speak Revelator.

The frequency response shows a rising about 1 KHz, but a broad dip between 2.2-4.2 KHz. Will a LR4 at 2.8 KHz be good enough to handle this? Any first hand design, listening experience concerning this issue of the Aurum Cantus AC130/CK50?

When I built my 6.5" bookshelf using the Peerless Nomex 830875, I found it necessary to use a notch filter around 5 KHz. The crossover was a 2nd/3rd order passive. The notch filter is needed to make the woofer cone breakup inaudible.

The crossover for a modest DIY bookshelf speaker project
IMG_1832-a.JPG

I wonder whether the notch filter can be left out using LR4 crossover and the Aurum Cantus AC130/CK50.

Attachments

• s-l1600e.png
    s-l1600e.png
    889.5 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
low distortion 5.25" woofer choice

-that was in 2013. ;)
..keilau did a little "necropost" here. :)
LOL. The post may be old. The subject and answer are exactly what I need. Your links to Zaph and Parts Express still work AS IS. Thanks.

I am itching to build a 2-way with 5.25" woofer, TBD. The tweeter is ScanSpeak Revelator D2902/9900-00 1" dome. The crossover is an active LR4. They will be used with 2 aperiodic subwoofers with dual 7" drivers.

I hope that some DIYer with hands on experience with the Aurum Cantus AC130/50CK will post.

Last edited:
For shipping, you Aussies might want to check if you have any companies that offer similar services to what the norwegian Jetcarrier company does.

Basically, you get a US postal adress that you use for any purchases. When you order something from a US company, you get the goods sent to this adress. You then log into the shipping webside, book the package(s) as air mail or surface shipping and upload a copy of the invoice. The service then ships the package, handles customs and taxes and forwards the package through the norwegian inland transport services.

I ordered a pair of Heil AMTs, and this saved me a lot on shipping...

Johan-Kr

This will surely do the job well, I'm keen to try it out myself. Scan Speak quality, 'proper' mid driver with decent sensitivity and light cone, very flat and controlled response.

Scanspeak 15M/4624G

Sounds great too...!

The 15M/4624G is a midrange driver, making it lower cost than a midwoofer and may be good in a 3-way. But I am not sure about its short 1.5 mm linear excursion, even for a midrange.

Hi guys, any info about Zaph testing some PA midrange/midwoofers soon ? Are they completely off the radar because they're category PA or just because they're ugly or simply they're cheap crap, intended for other purpose (while they could be still good in room too), or anything else ? I'd like to have one at least :), the Faital 6FE100 tested. Building a large 3-way/24dB with these soon (4 per side), but no distortion data anywhere. Crossing at 125/2k, 21" bass, AMT tweeter, 50sqm movie room (basement).

Couple of months ago I spent weeks looking for "THE PERFECT" midbass/midrange for my project (of course there's no perfect one) but distortion measurements are hard to find on manufacturer datasheets. :( So I had to rely on impedance curve, fs and freq. response graphs mostly.

Different driver has different objective. The Scanspeak 15M/4624G has high sensitivity even for a midrange, but more limited dynamic range due to its short linear excursion.

See ScottG's post #14. I agree with his comment.

Would that deodnd on the Xover point? At 500hz with a second order filter, how hard would you have to push this mid to exceed its linear excursion?

Can you put this in perspective for me, I don’t know how calculate frequency dependant excursion numbers.

Would that deodnd on the Xover point? At 500hz with a second order filter, how hard would you have to push this mid to exceed its linear excursion?

Can you put this in perspective for me, I don’t know how calculate frequency dependant excursion numbers.
The Scanspeak 15M/4624G can work fine at moderate sound level when used at 500 Hz crossover. Absconditus originally proposed to crossover at 280-300 Hz, the Scanspeak 15M/4624G is more marginal. I just do not want to push speaker to their design limit. Distortion at instantaneous peak can be easily audible.

I am asking for opinions on the "best" midrange in that size and price range only. "Best" for me is low distortion and ability to play loud without distortion. I don't care about "warm" or any other subjective-like term; I only want clarity in reproduction. It also needs to cover from roughly 280 - 300 Hz to 3,000 - 3,500 Hz. Please only post if you have direct experience with a driver, having used it, or having seen and heard it used in a similar situation to mine?

Absconditus

Some easy calculation can be done using the simple math in this thread.
SPL vs. Frequency vs driver movement

Last edited:
You.d be doing yourself a huge favour if you got yourself Unibox, WinSID etc and learnt how to use them. Then you can see for yourself. Neither is particularly difficult and you will learn far more that way by seeing it graphed yourself in seconds, than by longhand math or asking someone else to do it for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.