• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B SE OPT?

Thanks Andy for the site.

But I think I would like to rephrase my earlier post because I wondering about their "Summit" series, the above used the "Etude" series. I was hoping for anyone who have compared them to llundhal, Tango, Tamura, Electraprint, AE-Europe, Tribute,.... i.e. the more top end OPTs.

By the way, love your design on the 4p1l!!!

Siang

So has there been any more reviews on the monolinth transformers? I'm very curious...

They seem very competent but they lack reviews and comparisons on their product.

Siang,

I built my Midlife Crisis Amps with the Monolith S-833 OPTs, Summit series. Amorphous double-C core, teflon inter-winding insulation, weigh 62 lbs each! I've attached a picture taken during their construction, before strapping and potting.

The amps sound incredibly good. Seemingly unlimited power, clean sound top to bottom - will shake the nails out of the walls on Metallica and make you cry on Perlman. I can't think of a better review for the Monoliths than that...

The OPTs cost a small fortune but I will have them for the rest of my life, and then my son will have them for the rest of his life. Small change when you look at it that way.

Attachments

• 833 OPT coil and core.jpg
    833 OPT coil and core.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 833 Amp Running.jpg
    833 Amp Running.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,025
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They're making line output, filament, choke, and power transformers for some linestages I'm building for me and a couple of friends.

They are also making me a set of custom interstages for my GM70 amps which need a bigger IT with better LF extension.

I'm looking forward to getting them fairly soon.

I'm likely to have them make some output transformers as a further upgrade to my GM 70 amps somewhere down the line.

Siang,

I built my Midlife Crisis Amps with the Monolith S-833 OPTs, Summit series. Amorphous double-C core, teflon inter-winding insulation, weigh 62 lbs each! I've attached a picture taken during their construction, before strapping and potting.

The amps sound incredibly good. Seemingly unlimited power, clean sound top to bottom - will shake the nails out of the walls on Metallica and make you cry on Perlman. I can't think of a better review for the Monoliths than that...

The OPTs cost a small fortune but I will have them for the rest of my life, and then my son will have them for the rest of his life. Small change when you look at it that way.

Are you sure they are amorphous? They told me they only do GO SiFe for single ended output.

That is a bit perplexing... my application was for much lower voltage handling when I asked. Ward even gave me a pretty good explanation why they won't do amorphous for high power handling.

If you look at the picture I posted above of my transformers in the process of being built, you can see the code AMCC1000 on one of the cores. These are Metglas amorphous cores:

http://www.elnamagnetics.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/Metglas/powerlite.pdf

All the way at the bottom of the table is the AMCC1000, the largest they offer.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That is a bit perplexing... my application was for much lower voltage handling when I asked. Ward even gave me a pretty good explanation why they won't do amorphous for high power handling.

You might also want to have a look at what those transformers actually cost, they were a very special custom design for Magz, about $2700 each if I am not mistaken. (I guess given what they cost you can have pretty much anything you want..)

You might also want to have a look at what those transformers actually cost, they were a very special custom design for Magz, about $2700 each if I am not mistaken. (I guess given what they cost you can have pretty much anything you want..)

Don't even ask about the shipping from Belgium to New Jersey (along with two 35H input chokes for the PS), and the customs fees...

Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

Siang,

Hi Magz, yeah your build was the only one I could find. Your's should be very very good considering the $$$. I have been following your build, very inspirational. But just the thought of the HV scares me! And with the 833 and the opt that size I believe you when you say the walls shake.

p.s. what was the courier charges by the way?

Siang

If you look at the picture I posted above of my transformers in the process of being built, you can see the code AMCC1000 on one of the cores. These are Metglas amorphous cores:

http://www.elnamagnetics.com/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/Metglas/powerlite.pdf

All the way at the bottom of the table is the AMCC1000, the largest they offer.

Thanks for clarifying.

Understandable, though it seemed like Ward's explanation was more technical than for monetary reasons since I was asking for a custom OPT they didn't offer. Regardless I'm sure either are exceptional, I am leaning more towards GOSS/SiFe.

If you do go with the Monolith GM70 OPTs I would like to hear how they compare with your Electra-Prints. Monolith are particularly attractive now that USD is so strong and Euro is weak.

I went Magnequest

Although just few comments, I don't see any reviews of the Magnequest transformers, and I suspect that they would be competitive with the better transformers being reviewed.

I have the permalloy parafeed transformers. Some people have reported that they don't like the sound of the parafeed topology, others swear by this topology. I suspect that these differences are likely due to differences in implementation. I went this route based on the theory that transformers have an easier job to do (and thus can be better) when the DC voltage is kept out of the transformer, and also better metalurgy can be used - hence the permalloy. The topology can furthermore be improved by operating them as autoformers. Of course, the quality of the parafeed sound depends on the quality of the parafeed cap. If you just use the amps for midbass and higher frequencies, the cap can be a teflon one, with very high quality sound reproduction.

Magnequest also offered cobalt parafeed transformers. I do recall that there was a shootout between the permalloy and cobalt transformers and the outcome was mixed.

Retsel

Some other info

I just looked a little bit and found this site which compared some OPTs.

Choose a Transformer in Audio

This is some interesting text on Hashimoto's webpage:

The goal of Hashimoto Electric is to provide the best sounding and the highest quality tube audio transformers with the 21st technologies based on over sixty years of accumulated experiences. As if (actually is) a fine musical instrument, every Hashimoto transformer is literally hand crafted by experienced employees. As if (is) a fine musical instrument, every part of Hashimoto transformers is carefully selected and inspected. Finally, as if (is) a fine musical instrument, the most important aspect of Hashimoto production is how it's being built rather than what is being used to build. The chief engineer at Hashimoto Electric, Mr. Takao Ishiguro, has proudly mentioned to me that reverse engineering is almost impossible with Hashimoto products, "Could anybody rebuilt a Stradivarius by just taking its apart and finding out what it's made of?"

Hashimoto engineers prefer the total approach for its product design - examining every possible part to use, testing the optimum measurable characteristics of its products, and finally auditioning the sonic results - the most critical criteria. Even if a new product displays the best measurable characteristics, this product could be rejected if it is sonically inferior to other possible products. In other words, the top priority of Hashimoto transformer design is to obtain the most real-life-like music sound based on their accumulated technologies and proven methodologies. Hashimoto engineers prefer the step-by-step approach rather than putting too much emphasis on merely expensive or exotic material. For example, Hashimoto engineers intentionally avoid using silver wire because they have discovered that it actually worsens the sound compared with the traditional copper wire. Another good example is Hashimoto does not use permalloy cores. This is because permalloy cores are weak in lower frequency, thus the final sound tends to be unbalanced even though permalloy cores yields beautiful high to mid-range sound.

Hashimoto would like Permalloy if used in the midrange and high frequencies - this is how I use them. They don't like silver - I have heard mixed things about silver, although it usually it is better than worse.

Retsel

Geez, you'd think he'd give you a mention in the description, no?

Hi Magz,
About the Monolith Etude 1 in my pSE 4P1l:
I can only compare them to LL1663 that I used in my previous version of this amp. Etude 1 sound more refined that LL1660 especially at low levels. The bass has more energy, mids are as sweet as can be and the highs are more detailed. However, if I have to do it again I wont pay the difference. Actually at some point. I was thinking to sell the Etude's ( it is kind of overkill for 4P1L) and go back to Lundahl. And by the way I am not selling the amp anymore.
I might have the Monolith Etude 1 for sale...I think they are a better fit to the 300B as they were designed.

Best regards,
Radu