BEHRINGER SRC 2496 opinions kindly requested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
glued down

Hi Scott: did you use this: Chip Quik: Easy removal of surface mounted devices ? How is the sound improvement? Also, I just... ;)

I don't use chip quick. For the dacs I cut one side of the legs from the chip with a razor knife to take it off then remove the legs with my iron. The chips are glued on to the bottom of the SRC board so it takes some heat on the body of the resistor group to get it to let go. Again. the DEQ is easier as the chips are on top and don't have any glue. Any removal or resoldering of the chips goes much better if the work is submerged in Cardas paste flux. I won't touch an SRC again. If I was doing any serious analog any more I might consider some mods to that end of it but they are already fine for digital in/out.

Too bad to know that your SRC is back to Germany!

So, yo mean: after doing 1. AK4393 to 4396 and 2. direct out mod to DEQ, the difference is 2 days and 2 nights?! Very interesting! But do you add any resistors in series to the DAC pins and the XLR out? WOW! I will mod that first!

I think I better to described my listening goal is: music, not ear scratching type of things... (so for the OPS I like OPA2132, or LME79720 + only Silmic). I like AKM DACs, and thinking how to make them operate all in 192/24 mode...

It may be time for you to upgrade the chip and then you can also eliminate the analog filter as the AK4395/96 have such low ultrasonic noise you can run truly direct out with no filter. Just a high quality coupling cap. Eliminating the 1k resistor (and shunt cap) will sound much more dynamic into difficult loads such as a passive volume control.

I'm a little puzzled about the passive volume control: is a 250K pot (tube preamp volume pot) a difficult load and lower the dynamic?

Well, prove you can, so far all I have is assertion. No, you can't make me drink the Kool aid. Analogue systems that are well designed do have minor differences, even cables under some circumstances, but not digital cables that have consistent analogue sonic effects.
I am and will continue to do so, I just don't waste my time on rubbish such as this.

Actually, technically, in the real world, digital cables carry analog signals. They then get quantized (binned "1" or "0") at the receiver end. There are implementations which can be insensitive to channel nonidealities, so any cable or coat hanger that gets the bits through intact will work just as well as any other. Unfortunately, AES/EBU and S/PDIF use embedded clocks and NRZ coding, which, with any real cable, guarantees some amount of data- and bandwidth-dependent jitter in the recovered clock. Gets worse with lower bandwidth, longer runs, impedance mismatch, etc. Assuming no bit errors, an ideal receiver would completely filter this jitter out before it got to the word clock, which is what really matters at the "analog" end, but alas... So, without even getting into audibility, there is plenty of measurability to be had. Exercise for the reader: calculate the jitter necessary for LSB linearity at full-scale 24bits and 192kHz. It's not a large number...

Personally, I can attest that 1701a sounds much better as AES/EBU cable than Canare L-4ES6 mic cable (hey, it was handy!) does at 24/96. 100ohm vs. 44ohm characteristic impedance apparently matters at feet and 10s of MHz. The Canare works, but the Belden works better. Belden even recommends 1701a for AES/EBU use. Canare recommending L-4ES6 for this application? Not so much... Oh, yeah!!! (think Kool-Aid Man)

Several feel the analog output to be very poor, so they bypass it completely. I think not; DAC's were not made to drive cables. I plan on building my own analog stage. Anyway, The DAC and the A2D are not state of the art, but seem to be quite reasonable. Better than a typical AVR. I bought mine to compare with the pure analog unit I built and to me a short cut to the sub matching and eq. I have not had time to compare it as a DAC/crossover only with my outboard USB dac. On my list of things to do. In a few weeks, I may have had a chance to give it a good workout.

I do have concerns with digital level control.

I bought my XLR to RCA adapters from Sweetwater. Cheap. That was after I went through the effort of building dedicated cables (RCA to XLR) for may main system with the original Bheringer crossover I have.

Hi can i change ak 4393 to ak 4396 whitout problems.

Hi guys,
long time lurker first time poster...
If you get this DAC really try to override the analog stage and it will amaze you with how good it sounds.My Stax Omega really are a different creature now.
I have done that with a couple of DAC's and it always helps.
I don't know much about electronics but it's really easy to do it.
I have used 6n6p and AF circuit....

Imageshack - img0068y.jpg
Imageshack - img0069qx.jpg

Hi,

I have just opened up my new SRC2496 .... and for the life of me I cannot see the AKM chip on the board to which the rear-panel connectors attach. Unless the chip is now of the front-panel board it looks like they have integrated all of it onto one chip. My main reason for buying the unit was to tinker, but that looks like not being possible. Can anyone confirm what I seem to have found and where is this new model in the sound-quality ratings?

Thanks for any advice on this

George

Underneath

Hi,

I have just opened up my new SRC2496 .... and for the life of me I cannot see the AKM chip on the board to which the rear-panel connectors attach. Unless the chip is now of the front-panel board it looks like they have integrated all of it onto one chip. My main reason for buying the unit was to tinker, but that looks like not being possible. Can anyone confirm what I seem to have found and where is this new model in the sound-quality ratings?

Thanks for any advice on this

George
The Dac chip is on the under side of the main board. The DEQ2496 is much better to tinker with because of the signal access via the ribbon cable.

Added PS mod

Scott, do you have seperate power supplies for the DAC (analog / digital) and 8420 (analog / digital)? Does it make a big difference?

I have to add a 5v digital supply when changing the dac chip to AK4395. If I change the dac chip to 4396 I don't do any supply mods other than adding some additional caps to the 5v analog supply at the dac which makes the direct out sound a bit stronger.

I don't have experience with that... this thread claims it should be pretty good. I think I'd rather first mess with the power supply to the chips (separate power for each chip analog / digital) before. I'd rather make sure I have a clean and good circuitry around the chips before exchanging the DAC itself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.