BEHRINGER SRC 2496 opinions kindly requested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Scott: I have been thinking about DEQ2496 for long time, however, I was always hoping/waiting Behringer to issue DEQ(SRC,DCX)24192. Ha ha... Maybe that will never happen. Thanks for the info, and I will definitely give DEQ2496 a try. Recently, I want to move to computer digital source (if I did not tried SRC2496), SRC2496 is like a toy I want to try out before going that way, and using SRC2496 as a DAC.

1 src

Hi Scott: if I set up my system like: transport (Quad CD67) --> SRC2496 (upsampling) --> DEQ2496 (for some tweaking) --> SRC2496 (DAC)
You don't need the second SRC as the DEQ has just as good of a stock analog out and is easier to mod should you want to do the direct out mod. You will need volume control after the dac. I run lap top (my E A D T1000 transport finally broke last week), M-Audio Firewire410, RCA digital in to an SRC upsampling to 24/88, XLR digital in to a direct out DEQ for EQ and dac, stepped attenuators at the amp input, Sure 2X100 amps. The sound card digital out sounds better than the transport any way and I haven't even switched to Foobar/ASIO yet. I haven't played with a master clock or internal clock mods. The sound is incredible as it is.

I hooked up my new (used) SRC2496 today, and was a bit disappointed by the sound quality in its stock form. My modded cd63se is way beyond the SRC2496, upsampling or not...

I hope that replacing the analog output will bring some great improvements, otherwise my faith in the contributors to the various (overall positive) discussions on this machine will drop significantly.

I hooked up my new (used) SRC2496 today, and was a bit disappointed by the sound quality in its stock form. My modded cd63se is way beyond the SRC2496, upsampling or not...

I hope that replacing the analog output will bring some great improvements, otherwise my faith in the contributors to the various (overall positive) discussions on this machine will drop significantly.

When modify SRC2496, please be aware about one thing: CS8420 should have 2 5V power supplies: one for analog and the other one for digital, but Behringer only use one 5V supply for both inputs (with a ferrite bead isolation). If I were you, I will definitely start from modding the power supplies (build out-board PS modules, and feed important chips by dedicate power supply. Then replace all OP amps and take care the OP amps power supply decoupling carefully (refer to the SRC2496 circuits in the article that I posted earlier)... Or google the same topic to find more modding options, before you start. Modding is to tailor the equipment to your preference not just for the modding sake, and good luck.

Transport, cable

You have also added a transport and digital cable. Do you have another stand alone dac you can compare the SRC to?

Another thought to whom want to do the DAC direct out mod: how about to the direct output mod from the headphone OP amps, so we still have the volume control and still have enough current to drive cable... I will change the OP to LME45720/60, and there is no necessity to build our own LPF!

Thanks Steve and Scott for your comforting words. I am running the SRC2496 as standalone upsampler/DAC. For now, I am using the cd63 as a transport.

I am planning to do the following mods:
- build the "Lampizator's" tube output stage.
- regulate important chips separately with lm317, and possibly give them a separate PSU
- upgrade the electrolytics

1701a for digital cable

Thanks Steve and Scott for your comforting words. I am running the SRC2496 as standalone upsampler/DAC. For now, I am using the cd63 as a transport.

I am planning to do the following mods:
- build the "Lampizator's" tube output stage.
- regulate important chips separately with lm317, and possibly give them a separate PSU
- upgrade the electrolytics
Try some Belden 1701a for your digital cable. Cheap RCAs work fine. There are just as many differences in the sound of digital cables as there are for analog. Maybe more. I actually sent back a Hosa cable even though it was only $20 just to let them know how bad it was. I also don't like my Memorial recipe cable. Foamed teflon coax and fancy RCAs and all. Overly smooth, slow and boring. For off the shelf digital cables, Apogee Wyde Eye is pretty good. RadioShack Gold makes a nice optical cable but RCA will generally sound better. I would try a digital out sound card as well to see if the CD63 as a transport could be bettered. I just switched from my EAD T1000 transport and the sound is better from the laptop/ M-Audio Firewire/ external hardrive combination. Also, the convienience is unreal. I am kicking myself for not doing this years ago.

"The Same"

I'm calling B.S. on that. Show me the proof via error rates or something substantial.

Digital audio is quite low BW and needs nothing that cannot be had in a cable cheaply and simply.
The proof is in the listening. All ( amps, cables, opamps, passives, fill in the blank) do not sound "The Same". I can lead you to the water by sharing my experiences, as all of the people on these boards do, but I can't make you drink. Please feel free to build your system any way you want.

The proof is in the listening.
Well, prove you can, so far all I have is assertion.
All ( amps, cables, opamps, passives, fill in the blank) do not sound "The Same". I can lead you to the water by sharing my experiences, as all of the people on these boards do, but I can't make you drink.
No, you can't make me drink the Kool aid. Analogue systems that are well designed do have minor differences, even cables under some circumstances, but not digital cables that have consistent analogue sonic effects.
Please feel free to build your system any way you want.
I am and will continue to do so, I just don't waste my time on rubbish such as this.

Nice link Steve, that and your list has me thinking about what I can do to my DCX. Pretty much the same with some added DSP.

Hi tvrgeek: I believe in one thing, i.e, power supplies are the most important part of any electronic equipment.

For digital equipment, i will also pay attention to the oscillator noise created on the ground (eith by buils an out-board, dedicate clock or using ferrite bead/clip on choke to isolate some harmful ground noise, especially the ground noise created by 4MHz VFD (display) micro-controller oscillator. (ALL in MHZ level X/O ground noise need to be dealt with carefully).

As long as we have controlled of the above problem, caps is the next then the other parts: caps, diodes...

The "safe" way to change OP amps in these things is to download the data sheet, and follow the suggestions that they use, find the datasheet for the OPs they are using then change to the OPs with similar slew rate, band-width.

If you were a designer, there is a new book written by Walter Jung:

http://www.amazon.com/Amp-Applicati...r_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262406286&sr=8-50

There are lots of information in there. However, it is written for designers.

Little OT... need some help.... Made the passive output mod (L+ and R+ from DAC pins direct to caps avoiding every opamps) and once connected to my system a little noise came out from the L channel.
Scoped that channel and it shows a 3KHz ~80mVpp sawtooth wave. Dead silence on the other channel (R). Any ideas? Tnx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.