Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Hi All,

New to this very interesting forum, I couldn't find any attempt on it to provide digital outputs for the DCX.

Apart from replacing the CS 8420 with a 8416 in order to be able to read 24/192 digital stream, I would be interested using the DCX as active filter before 2 Tact S2150 (digitally fed) and a SVS sub (analog fed).

Would anyone know about trials in this direction on the DCX ?

Thank you

Francois

Hello,

is it possible, without using caps or opamps, to connect a AK4393 at its' Vout pins directly into a PGA2310?
Or do I have to go unbalanced into the pga?

Thanks for infos

Olaf

If you want to connect the DAC to the PGA2310 without using caps or opamps the only choices left are either transformers or a discreet balanced to SE converter stage. Using a transformer would be the simplest way unless you are very good at discreet solid state design.

Gary

Hi All,

New to this very interesting forum, I couldn't find any attempt on it to provide digital outputs for the DCX.

Apart from replacing the CS 8420 with a 8416 in order to be able to read 24/192 digital stream, I would be interested using the DCX as active filter before 2 Tact S2150 (digitally fed) and a SVS sub (analog fed).

Would anyone know about trials in this direction on the DCX ?

Thank you

Francois

Francois,

As far as I remember there was one thread by the guy from Japan, but unfortunately I do not remember his name, where he made the transmitter board that was sitting above the main DCX board. It is not that simple, since you would need in the first place to pick up the signal from the traces, so that is a lots of fragile wires - connections. Next you need to do exactly that - install transmitter board with three transmitters in order to send the digital signal out of DCX.

Next, in order to run 24 / 192 it is not just changing input receiver or DACs. The whole DSP and circuitry around it, clock... is made to work 24/96, so changing that in the first place I doubt it is possible, but even if it is I believe you have much more chances to fail than to succeed.

In order to do what you want, go back a few posts and find the link I posted regarding the DSP board that you could buy. It will do exactly what you need.

Good luck.
AR2

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That pesky 8420

The good old 8420 receiver and sample rate converter. Certainly not a strong point in the DCX.

For almost a year I've noticed strange behavior. Sometimes the sound is bright, sometimes dull. Sometime I can hear it change from one to the other while playing! At first I thought it was my computer source, or maybe my spdif cable. But it's not, really.

Oetlle and Jan mentioned the same problem over 2 years ago.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/15943-behringer-dcx2496-digital-x-over-118.html#post1309712

Some of it was the fault of the spdif cable - ground loops and noise - but I stuck a 75:110 transformer in line for a good balanced signal and have no more problems there. In fact, I hit the DEQ2496 first, then a short AES digital link to the DCX.

Using the DEQ inline helped me find the problem. I switch the DEQ source to its internal pink noise. From there the clock rate of the output can be changed to 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96Khz. Changing the clock rate will sometimes, but not always, brighten or dull the sound coming from the DCX. Ah ha! A clock rate change seems to glitch the 8420 and do weird stuff. This has been talked about before, but it's nice to hear it with my own ears.

So what can be done about it? Anything? Having the DEQ inline as a sort of digital signal buffer has helped, but it's not 100%. And how do I know that when the digital stream starts afresh, it is right? Well, usually my ears tell me, but I'd rather the thing work right all the time.

I'm hunting around the interweb for a fix to this problem. If anyone has ideas or pointers, please let me know.

Oettle digital receiver

The good old 8420 receiver and sample rate converter. Certainly not a strong point in the DCX.

For almost a year I've noticed strange behavior. Sometimes the sound is bright, sometimes dull. Sometime I can hear it change from one to the other while playing! At first I thought it was my computer source, or maybe my spdif cable. But it's not, really.

Oetlle and Jan mentioned the same problem over 2 years ago.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/15943-behringer-dcx2496-digital-x-over-118.html#post1309712
Using the DEQ inline helped me find the problem. I switch the DEQ source to its internal pink noise. From there the clock rate of the output can be changed to 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96Khz. Changing the clock rate will sometimes, but not always, brighten or dull the sound coming from the DCX. Ah ha! A clock rate change seems to glitch the 8420 and do weird stuff. This has been talked about before, but it's nice to hear it with my own ears.

So what can be done about it? Anything?
I'm hunting around the interweb for a fix to this problem. If anyone has ideas or pointers, please let me know.
You could install the Oettle mod board but I too have always been hopeful to find a drop in replacement that would be better than the 8420. I emailed Cirrus Logic but never heard anything back.
SRC/Clock

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, cool. I also had a look at the kit from Selectronic in Lille.

Took a browse thru SRC+Receivers from several companies. Could not find one that's pin compatible - no surprise. There are a few that should do the job, but don't know if they'd do any better than the kits. And they would need their own PCB anyway.

It may just be coincidence (I only have a couple days with it), but the quickie SPDIF-to-AES/EBU converter I threw together last week seems to have ameliorated the "sudden dullness" problem. It steps up the signal level to 5V as well as transforming the impedance.

Interesting. I'm just using a simple RCA to XLR cable to connect the SPDIF output of my RME soundcard to the DCX's AES/EBU input. Can't say I've noticed any difference compared with input via the analogue inputs.

Just curious, are there any measurements around that explain the "sudden dullness" that people have been talking about?

DCX2496. Alternative to Oettles digital input stage.

Panomaniac

If you are looking for cheaper alternatives to both Oettle and the Selectronic digital input stage for your DCX2496, I do have PCB to Freeraiders alternative.
Freeraider claim that his stage are very simular to the Selectronic stage.
I am sellingg this boards for $ 5 + shipping. I still have 15 boards, and everyone interested are welcome.
Improved digital input stage for the Behringer DCX2496

Eivind Stillingen, Norway

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Interesting. I'm just using a simple RCA to XLR cable to connect the SPDIF output of my RME soundcard to the DCX's AES/EBU input. Can't say I've noticed any difference compared with input via the analogue inputs.

Just curious, are there any measurements around that explain the "sudden dullness" that people have been talking about?

There is an erratum sheet to the data sheet for the receiver chip that acknowledges the problem, but some never show it, apparently.

http://www.linearaudio.nl/Miscellaneous/CS8420 errata.pdf

jd

Last edited: