Behringer B2030A modification project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're on, Dan ... ;)

The main music I used......was the live Peter Green 'Splinter' album - this is very well recorded, the bite of all the instruments has been well captured, along with tremendous ambience.
Can you give me more detail please, so we can have the same reference material...Peter Green discography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Splinter Group albums
Peter Green Splinter Group (1997) Snapper Music SARCD 101
The Robert Johnson Songbook (1998)
Soho Session (1998)
Destiny Road (1999) Snapper Music SMACD 817
Hot Foot Powder (2000)
Time Traders (2001)
Me and the Devil (2001) Snapper Music SMBCD 844 (limited edition box set, 3 CDs, 1 of Robert Johnson recordings)
Blues Don't Change (2001)
Reaching the Cold 100 (2003)
The Best of Peter Green Splinter Group (2006 compilation)

Dan.

Can do even better ... this is the specific track I used - "Look on yonder wall" by Peter Green & Splinter Group - YouTube, from their first album, Peter Green Splinter Group - Peter Green Splinter Group | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic. Ignore the comments there, the reviewer hasn't got a clue ...

Walked into the shops, put this on and mashed the accelerator, hard, all the way to the floor - woofer cones were flailing, in and out, trying to keep up ...

What impressed me was that the Behringer completely kept its cool, never allowed the woofer to go on a merry dance, unlike nearly all the others. The worst offender was a Tannoy - completely lost it, was ready to have a heart attack, I cut short its misery ... :)

This track, at max SPLs, is brilliant to listen to ... if the system can take it ...

Cool Blues....

Ok, I got it in Flac file format.
I notice that it has been normalised to 0dB peaks, so I have dropped the level 6dB, and resaved it as a 24bit 44k wav file.
Fine sounding track to me, I will play it some to get familiar with it, and use it as a reference when I do some mods....no promises when that will be, but soonish...some other experimenting going on just now ;).

Dan.

What impressed me was that the Behringer completely kept its cool, never allowed the woofer to go on a merry dance, unlike nearly all the others.

(listening to that song thru the ...1" single speaker of the Minimac:p)

I see that most elec. cross. start with a 30 Hz HP filter, which is also
common with pro audio, and this monitor studio speaker is part of that definition. The HPF determines better which final contour ( or Q )the sound will have; it will determine the right load for the woofer ( best pass band behavior)
while protecting it from over excursion.
Everything in this design is tailored for the parts that are in there. Short signal path and good economy.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
Not another thread where fas42 just spouts a load of self opioniated nonsense without ever giving any technical details.
If you want an opinion here is one :
New drivers ? forget it, your chucking money away.
Cabinet improvements - possible.
Simple drivers mods - possible.
Simple driver mounting mods - possible.
Simple upgrades to the electronics - possible if you really know what you are doing, and can identify simple mods at critical positions.
I've modded stuff for years and now have a pretty good idea of what can work for not much cost, and more importantly, what is simply not worth doing.
rgds, sreten.

Thank you very much indeed for your valuable advice
for now that i have not yet received the speakers i am collecting suggestions and information
Thanks again and kind regards,
gino

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I was looking up info on the entire BxxxxA range as I imagine the electronics are pretty similar on all 4 models, especially the crossover components, so certain mods for the B3031A should work just as well on the B2030A, in theory at least, and those pics of the internals were the best I could find after a few minutes googling...
Anyway, as for moving the tweeter in line with the woofer, in the marketing stuff on the Behringer website, it seems to infer that the drivers are time aligned:
"We packed 115-Watts of bi-amped technology (including a time- and phase-optimized active crossover) into every B2030A"
However just because the marketing info says so it may not mean that the alignment isn't perfect, I imagine some sort of all-pass filter will be used if the voice coils are not already in line.

Maybe a mod could be to bypass the all-pass filter and modify the waveguide also so that the voicecoils are in line? I suggest measuring the time alignment first before changing anything...

Hi ! not that easy to mod the waveguide.
And actually if it is good for G ... ehm Behringer it will be fine also for me
I do not think that a certain time misalignment would be so detrimental
Lots of speakers are not perfectly time aligned and still they deliver.
I just said that without thinking :D

If you plan on changing the woofer then I would sim the box beforehand, otherwise you may find the bass response goes to pot,
but then it may just be a case of changing the port length in order to fix this

yes ! the woofer selection is critical, really
First i have to try to understand which woofer is the original
I just know that is very very cheap, so it cannot be good. No way.
The best would be to measure TS parameters of it and then the selection would be so much easier

If the XO is at 1KHz however, you may find that a tweeter upgrade gives more dramatic results and no need to tinker with port lengths.
The Monacor DT-100 may go down to 1KHz with a 24db/oct filter.

no ... it is 2kHz

http://www.behringer.com/assets/B2030A_P0135_S_EN.pdf

i do not think that a good tweeter here will be that stressed
I have a pair of D28 at hand in an old Dynaudio speaker that i do not use and not like
I wonder if they will be a step up ... anyway :D

As for electronic based mods, space is restricted, the power supply upgrades will be hard to pull off, unless you throw away the toroid (if the B2030A even has a toroid) and try and squeeze a SMPS or two in there instead.
Another option would be to keep the existing power supply and replace (or should I say bypass) the Class AB amp with a quality class D amp.
The increased efficiency will give similar results to a power supply upgrade, but again this could create more problems than it solves... EDIT: However, a decent quality Class-D should include some sort of Zobel network, Ideally you want to make sure this network is correct for the impedance of the woofer and tweeter. This could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
A TAS5630 based amp will work nicely on a 50v PSU...
In fact I think the best thing to do would be to first of all see what corners have been cut in order to build this at such a low cost, and ideally upgrade smaller cheaper components before moving on to more major mods.
You may even find just replcing the trim pot with an Alps unit for example brings a little something extra.
A stepped attenuator would be nice, but maybe a little overkill.
Bear in mind these are only suggestions, and feel free to tell me if these have any major downsides as I'm simply thinking out loud here...
I will be interested in this thread and how much difference your mods make as I'm pretty tempted to pick up a pair of these myself, as I'm after something a little more portable and plug n play.
Good luck. :)

Wow ... this is indeed a long list and thank you for the advice
I was thinking only to minor mods, like replacing supply caps, add some decoupling caps ... look at the connections ... etc.
Nothing very substantial
Anyway i think that this kind of cheap monitors have potential
What i heard impressed me.
I listened to the big brother with Africa by Toto
I felt a great dynamic sound.
Than i look at the woofer ... a cheap generic PP chinese :rolleyes:
With a good one this box crashes the walls :eek:
Put a great dome of your choice and go to some audio fair to astonish everyone around ;)
Thanks a lot and kind regards
gino :D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
... The Dynaudio's were a big disappointment, a very 'dead' sound - ... :D

Hello ! do you remember the specific model maybe ?
Personally i think that Dynaudio drivers, pro drivers aside, are among the best in the world
Just looking at them you get the feeling that they are something special ... amazing drivers

zoom_57715412_Esotar650_4.jpg

This is a woofer ! some have even a 3" coil for a 6" mm cone !!!!
just find something similar around ... when 1" coil is the standard
They are just something else ... I love them
Maybe not that easy to drive i do not know
But really wonderful. A pity to put them in a box
Kind regards,
gino

Last edited:
Sorry, gino, I would have to hunt them down, and guess - about the size of B2031s, 4 to 5 times the price of the B2030A. If you read some of my posts you'll get the message very strongly that I believe in electronics being the main offender in poor performance, and I think the Dynaudio's were suffering from this aspect - rather than drivers being at fault.

At the recent hifi show Dynaudio speakers produced both the best sound ... and close to the worst sound I heard - these are the sort of things that tend to make me believe that factors other than quality of speaker drivers, and boxes, are significant ... ;), :D

In theory,yes.
In my experience, NO.
Sreten, have you ever tried fitting zobel networks ?.

Dan.

Hi,

If you can't measure any difference, and there is no good
reason for their to be any difference, there simply isn't any
difference worth bothering with, despite your "experience".

I don't try stuff that has no good reason to do anything useful.

Fitting Zobels will not have the effects you claim, EOS.

IME zobels on tweeters can flatten and extend the HF output, and very pleasanty
so. Ditto the woofer, with deeper, less 'lumpy' lows and less audible breakup.

That is your imagination working overtime, because you have never measured it.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry, gino, I would have to hunt them down, and guess - about the size of B2031s, 4 to 5 times the price of the B2030A.
If you read some of my posts you'll get the message very strongly that I believe in electronics being the main offender in poor performance, and I think the Dynaudio's were suffering from this aspect - rather than drivers being at fault

Thank you and yes ... i got the message
To look at the amps first. Ok.
Actually i have not even got the speakers yet :eek:
But surely after some tests to check for any problem i will look inside

At the recent hifi show Dynaudio speakers produced both the best sound ... and close to the worst sound I heard - these are the sort of things that tend to make me believe that factors other than quality of speaker drivers, and boxes, are significant ... ;), :D

so this means to me that the Dyn drivers are able of exceptional things
Off course if they are not pushed rightly the outcome can be quite unsatisfactory.
Amps first ... then maybe drivers. Ok.
Thanks and regards,
gino

What Dan's talking about is that amplifiers are not perfect - the ones in active speakers are a long way from that - and will behave differently depending upon the impedance they see at their output, at different frequencies. This is basic electronics stuff, there is no magic involved.

What Dan's talking about is that amplifiers are not perfect - the ones in active speakers are a long way from that - and will behave differently depending upon the impedance they see at their output, at different frequencies. This is basic electronics stuff, there is no magic involved.

Hi,

Don't talk to me about basic electronics and stating the bleeding obvious.

It is basic electronics that Zobels in an active speakers simply will not
have the effects Dan is talking about. There is no magic involved.

And as for amplifiers being a long way from perfect,
they are difficult to significantly improve in any respect,
(unless simply very badly designed in the first place).

Fact is a active speaker built down to a very competitive price
is not riddled with faults that you can saunter in there with
advanced arm waving and magically significantly improve it.

Improvements should address a real problem, not imagination.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Taken by the Behringer site

Why the Polypropylene Woofer?
We’re glad you asked. Polypropylene is light and strong, enabling the speaker cone to respond very quickly to fast transient peaks. This low-mass cone material is also much stiffer than paper, important for not only maintaining bass content integrity, but critical for midrange accuracy and definition. The deformation-resistant aluminum die-cast chassis maintains suspension integrity and provides highly efficient voice-coil cooling, even under extreme operating conditions. Why the Polypropylene Woofer?
We’re glad you asked. Polypropylene is light and strong, enabling the speaker cone to respond very quickly to fast transient peaks. This low-mass cone material is also much stiffer than paper, important for not only maintaining bass content integrity, but critical for midrange accuracy and definition....

this i cannot believe
If it is such a good material why no ones is using it in professional speakers ?
I do not agree
I do not like even plastic charged with some solid particles
I like paper and metal
Regards,
gino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.