Beach Radio v5! (Sealed 3015LF sub)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The latest and hopefully final version of my beach radio project. This one is actually a "downgrade" compared to v4 but v5 will be much easier to transport, easier to set up, and easier to sneak by hehe

Setup consists of:
Coleman 120qt cooler
Baltic birch 3/4" and 1/2"
Eminence 3015lf 15" subwoofer (sealed, 1.5 cubic feet) (30hz-120hz, EQ applied)
(2) Eminence Beta 8a midrange (120hz-?? No low pass ability)
(2) Pyle sealed back 6.5" midrange (400hz-2500hz)
(2) PE special (no name) horn loaded tweeters
(2) Dayton passive crossovers for Pyle midrange to tweeter cross
Alpine PDX 1.600 class D sub amp
Alpine MRX-f30 class D 4 ch amp.
Pioneer deh 8300ub head unit 4v pre out
4" cooling fan to circulate air over Amps.
36" x 13" solar panel for battery charge (15 watt)
Briefcase solar panel for battery charge (13 watt)
12"x12" solar panel to power cooling fan
Battery will have a 135min Reserve Capacity or so. Haven't chosen the exact battery yet.

Laying them out before any cutting for fitment check
imagemeeq.jpg
imageifj.jpg

Had some spare wood so used them as "gauges" for top panel width and length

imagevkj.jpg

Setting up to cut on the cooler top and fit the longer solar panel inside it...
imagetcj.jpg

And they all fit! 10lbs of sh*t in a 5lb bag lol
imagebwft.jpg

imageyor.jpg

So if its not obvious... The Cooler will lay down with the Coleman logo on the ground, I will prop open the top which will house the longer solar panel and that will face the sky, and the speakers will all be facing forward, perpendicular to the ground plane.

The only thing that will not be self contained will be the battery, which will connect with 4gauge leads that I'll have secured to the cooler.

Ohh and the briefcase solar panel will be separate as well, that will connect directly to the battery.

The longer solar panel will have a quick disconnect which I will then connect AFTER the battery is connected, because Voc of the panel without a battery inline is 21volts. That would do some damage to the 12-14v electronics.

I'm thinking of using a group 49 battery. It is 50lbs, 14.5x7x7" and has a 145 minute Reserve Capacity.
I figure about 35 watts rms to each beta midrange (5.99 ohms each), 50 watts to each set of Pyle/tweeter (4 ohm Re) then 300 watts or so to the sub (5.31 ohm). So about 470 watts rms total. Figure music is mostly EDM so power draw will be about 1/4 that with the radio playing "full tilt" Figure about 10 amp current draw. Reserve Capacity of battery is rated at 25 amps. So with the solar panels feeding in about 25 watts, if I can get a solid 5-6 hours of playing the radio at high volume ill be happy. Then recharge the battery before the next use.

Last edited:
I've been thinking array of aura NS6's for a lightweight rig.... At only a pound each, and 90db/1W 40-5000hz... hmm.....

I already have a bass amp for my son designed with a 4x100 tk2050 amp for the aura's, head ended by a marshall 9004.

what spl do you need to reach again?

Sounds tempting! I like the NS6's that I have in my "curt Campbell stentorian s"

I don't have a real SPL goal this time. Pretty much whatever it is that I get out of this setup ill be happy with. Last time around the radio rocked the majority of the beach, but we also got kicked off and they wouldn't let us back the next time and we couldn't sneak it by them. This time, disguised as a cooler it will slip by, and it won't be loud enough for us to be kicked off the beach lol

Sweet glad it's working out for you!

I have the ss15 cabinet that I took this 3015 out of, if you want it, just pay for shipping and it's yours. I really have no use for it now.

I really wanted everything self contained in one enclosure. The v4 had separate portable speakers but just for ease of transport I wanted it all together.

I really wish I could port the sub portion and tune to 30hz (all I have is selectable 15/30hz high pass on the amp) to add a few more db on the 30-120hz portion, but there isn't much room for a decent sized port (even if it was an external port)

How about just the sub in the cooler and some small satellites you could stash in a backpack?
I was looking at the lithium motorcycle batteries for a burningman bike project. 36ah/ 5lbs.
I recently upgraded my electric bike batteries from SLA AGM to LiFeP04.
Went from an effective range of only 4.2 miles before voltage sagged too much to be ridable to 39 miles.
Less weight, a lot more $$, but worth every penny.

Art

Attachments

• LiFeP04.jpg
    LiFeP04.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 124
Hmm how much are we talking for a comparable battery?

I used to work at a truck part store, they deal exclusively with deka, I can get the group 49 for around $75. And it will fit in a sturdy duffle bag that I have, at 50lbs it should be a breeze to carry strapped around my shoulder.

Hmm how much are we talking for a comparable battery?

I used to work at a truck part store, they deal exclusively with deka, I can get the group 49 for around $75. And it will fit in a sturdy duffle bag that I have, at 50lbs it should be a breeze to carry strapped around my shoulder.
I am using the GBS-40Ah from GBS Lithium Batteries

Four in series are nominally 12.8 Volts, would weigh only 12.4 pounds, cost $248.
The amazing thing is you can pull peaks of 400 amps out of the pack with hardly any sag.
You can get by with much lower rated Ah LiFP04 than lead acid because they have virtually no Peukert's effect. Discharge of 80% causes no problems with them (over 1500 charges), but drastically shortens the life of lead acid batteries.
You would want a voltage regulator for the PV panel, LiFP04 can be damaged with too high of voltage in, though the size panel you have would probably be no problem under load.

Last edited:
Awsome.

I recently upgraded my electric bike batteries from SLA AGM to LiFeP04.
Went from an effective range of only 4.2 miles before voltage sagged too much to be ridable to 39 miles.
Less weight, a lot more $$, but worth every penny.

Art

I have a E-scooter that I would love to upgrade with 48v lithium batteries , then hope to use them with a portable PA. (Price of lithium packs is still too high :()

Still debating if a decent 12v car amp will work better than TAS5630 chip at 50v

I have a E-scooter that I would love to upgrade with 48v lithium batteries , then hope to use them with a portable PA. (Price of lithium packs is still too high :()

Still debating if a decent 12v car amp will work better than TAS5630 chip at 50v
If you put connectors every 4 batteries, you could use them in parallel for a nominal 12V or series for a nominal 48V, or series parallel for 24V.

My 24 volt motor really has some "get up and go" with non-sagging 50+ volts.
Turned the bike from a toy to something that can actually climb the mountains around here.
I just have to be aware that I can do 24 mph all day, but 48 mph for only short bursts or the windings will smoke...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.