Bass reflex standmounts 10.3 / 10P

Hi Larry - didn't realize you were a 'local' chap, good to know! https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-and-events/212618-toronto-diy-meetup-25.html#post5735364

That's a kind offer indeed ! - however, I want to keep the birch for this build and the nature of the mitre joints and exposed bevels. It's supposed to be a 'quick build' to use up some A10.3's without a real goal in mind. The gel stain tends to ride over the wood and so doesn't really need the conditioner - I'm leaning in that direction so as to 'get it done'. The last time I tried veneer I had trouble with bubbles forming underneath it after the glue-up which was very irritating - there must be a trick to it - and now that I've put small bevels on all the edges doing a veneer job would be quite a lot of effort and I'm lazy and impatient.

However - you clearly know a lot more than I do about this word working stuff - I might be interested in your advice on my next project which I want to take more care over and which has a goal in mind - a top-notch stereo set up to be based on Audio Nirvana Super 12" drivers. I don't have the drivers yet, but may have them by May and I'll start a new thread for that.

Implemented a 6" long port tube with nominal tuning around 40Hz (need to measure impedance vs frequency to find out actual tuning). I fitted two-pole Speakon connectors; silver coated multi-stranded wire internally.

First listening impressions - powerful speakers, they sound big.

Amp - a single ended transformer-coupled input and output SIT amplifier with Zout approx 0.8 Ohm

Bass - too boomy. I suspected the port tuning was too low. However, after moving the speakers to a different spot in the room most of the boom went away - clearly exciting something in room. It's quite surprising what it can do from a small volume and it needs more listening tests. I would be interested to try adding some port resistance, not sure the best method - in order to trade off flat extension for something with less group delay to see how it sounds. Suggestions ?

Treble - clearly required good recording quality to listen properly and listening for high-hats was not satisfying until digging out a Chesky recording. The hats sounded very good. There were some tracks (not Chesky) with some sibilance. It doesn't sound like my big paper cone Audio Nirvana and at some point I'd like to compare this metal A10 with the paper A10. I may get a chance on Friday. Amplifier very clean with no sign of harshness.

Mids - not sure yet, sound a bit recessed but much optimization of speaker mounting and positioning still required.

Imaging - poor compared with the Pencil's that I built for these drivers originally. Again, much more work required to sort out set-up details before any conclusions can be offered.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a chance to take a better photo.

Attachments

• rough finish.JPG
    rough finish.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 137
Hello,
I had recently bought a pair of A10.3.
The intention was to build a proper box (Pensil or a BiB, still contemplating).
In the meantime...
As I had a pair of "Technics" two-ways, with an internal box dims 380x210x180 (approx), which turned out to be around 14L, I thought that it might serve as a temporary BR box for the Alpairs.
As the original bass driver was an 8" one, I cut an " adaper board" to accomodate the Alpairs. Not pretty, but not too ugly either :)
The original box had a BR pipe in front. But, it was 4cm in diameter. I prologed it to about 13 cm.
So far, not bad at all!
Alpairs are still new, so slowly breaking in...
It sounds nice, but I could hear a bit of "heat" in the upper end. Hope it will "cool off" as the drivers break in...
A few pics...
:)

Attachments

• TechA10.jpg
    TechA10.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 49
  • TechAA10.jpg
    TechAA10.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 46
  • TechA103.jpg
    TechA103.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 45