Balanced IGBT for amplifier output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes is the answer. One of them is even capable of producing this plot. :D

Attachments

• DSC03491.JPG
    DSC03491.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 940
HiSpeed controversial

Wow, very impresive, love that ultrafast settling times... which one would be the "one" You mentioned & what about drive it full power sinus burst 150Hz + 6K7Hz mixed together for 10. sec in to dummy Load of 1R3 (500W) _ (oscilloscope capture + spectrum of 19+20 KHz full power) would be nice to see ?

Keep on Yours controversial work and it would be nice to hear some impressions about sound :violin: :Piano: :eguitar: :sax:

Thnx :cheers:

C. B.

Impressions ?

Hi Lazy Cat,

How is it with progress of the amp mentioned in #161 so fare?
I'm curious if it would be possible to drive with it a very low impedance 1R constantly (Apogee Scintilla) ?
How many modules of Your design would be necessary for 2x +60 - 0 - 60V - 1KW toroids to drive the 2 Mono OP stages constantly with this low impedance drive? Would this be possible at all?
I hope You already enjoying listening to Yours best version of Yours controversial Amp and would be nice If You can share some listening impressions, pics, You achieve?

Many thanks for the response,

:wave:

CB

BIGBT Power Amp

This small test power amplifier gives 10 Wrms on 4 ohm load (power supply current limit) at any given frequency from DC to 1 MHz (signal generator upper limit) with absolutely 0 dB output voltage error. This testing amp is also a base to my next step - full power BIGBT amp with these nice looking output power devices. :)

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 623
I assume the BIGBT is constructed into those slick looking cases. Where did you source those and what exactly are they? I'd like to find something like what you have pictured here.

Hi jkuetemann

Yes BIGBT sch inside those cases. The case is made out of a single Copper block according to my CAD design. All three transistors isolated so the case can be mounted with four bolts to heatsink directly. It is gate (voltage) driven 230 V, 30 A, 360 W device. ;)

Attachments

• BIGBT.jpg
    BIGBT.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 304
Hi jkuetemann

Yes BIGBT sch inside those cases. The case is made out of a single Copper block according to my CAD design. All three transistors isolated so the case can be mounted with four bolts to heatsink directly. It is gate (voltage) driven 230 V, 30 A, 360 W device. ;)

Thanks for the peek inside. There appears to be a couple of resistors in your BIGBT that aren't in the schematic I got from one of the other BIGBT related threads (a 10 ohm I see and another I can't make out). Is this the current schematic of your compound device?

Attachments

• BIGBT.jpg
    BIGBT.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 423
Very sexy :) You should start selling those units preassembled.
Oh yeah! :up: :up:

Yeah guys the price would be too high for DIY-ers to buy. These BIGBT modules could only find their place in a final product sold to an audiophile fan. :2c:

But if some of the recognized semiconductor producer would take a "risk" and give me some small percentages, than why not. I think it wouldn't be a big problem to put all BIGBT parts in one TO-3 case. :bulb:

Now that would be even sexier ... :hbeat:

Attachments

• TO-3.jpg
    TO-3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 318
Yeah guys the price would be too high for DIY-ers to buy. These BIGBT modules could only find their place in a final product sold to an audiophile fan. :2c:

Sure, custom made CNC machined copper modules would make the price unacceptable to the bulk of the market in general. However the economies of scale in mass production would likely have these modules made of cast or forged aluminum with only perhaps a little finishing work to make them useable. Point is, that when someone wants one or two of something the cost is very high, when a client wants 10,000 or more the cost per unit drops substantially.

I have refused projects on that very basis. I won't build something for someone on-demand if a reasonably priced commercial version is available unless I have some personal interest in doing so.

Anodized aluminum cases would likely work very nicely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.