Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thoroughly confused now.

step aside, forget everything you were thinking in last few days

in a day or two, go back with fresh head

you're making a problem where problem is nonexistent

differentiate two different things:

1.proper input arrangement when using RCA vs. when using XLR, which is same as with amps you're familiar with - Aleph J, for instance

2. need to connect all existing inputs to GND, during setup procedure, to prevent any garbage ( mishap) to reach amp's inputs

I did explain both of those things in recent postings and you'll understand just if you relax, seeing that there isn't anything which can't be understood

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I still need to attach ground wires from power supply, cl-60 to ground....very close, at work now.
During the setting up procedure (described at post #1) I connected both IN+ and IN- to GND, but once everything is stable I left only IN- shorted to GND, connected my preamp using RCA and started playing some music :)
Before this week end, this thing is either going to make music or smoke....unless it just sits there and does nothing....smart azz amplifier trying to drive me nutz.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to use a CLC PSU for the XA252.

@Zen Mod has said https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/clc-vs-crc.337738/page-5#post-7006451:
take choke between 4mH and 10mH, no more than 0R33 of Rdc, toss it in place of R in your CRC

in case that you're using 33mF caps, already proven, no much thinking
and more recently:
CRC per rail with minimum 22mF/50V for C and R being 0R1/5W

of course CLC is better, same C as above and L no less than 3mH and no more than 0R3 of Rdc

Are there alternatives to Hammond?

Several Hammond chokes match those requirements:

Single-coil
  • 157E 6mH, 133mΩ, 4A maximum current
  • 159ZJ 10mH, 160mΩ, 6A - a popular choice
Dual-coil - the numbers seem good but are there other issues with having two coils together which would outweigh the higher inductance/lower resistance?
  • 196K6 in series 12mH, 56mΩ resistance per coil, and 6A - presumably 6mH if run separately
  • 196M4 in series 20mH, 110mΩ, 4A -> 10mH separately
I'd thought about putting the two coils in differential mode; ZM says that may not work as the currents on the +- rails are dissimilar. Nevertheless the figures are good - so could dual-coils be used - as separate single - coils rather than single coils?

What about the choice between mH and mΩ?

Thanks!

John

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dual coils - , best used in "bucking" arrangement - one coil in positive rail, second in negative rail, phased so DC flux is nulled in core

now, speaking of full mos iteration, good approach

didn't tried so I can't exactly tell how much of a problem it can be, but with Schade and especially SIT implemented in OS, loading of two rails is very unequal, so that could - hypothetically - cause some problems with "bucking" choke arrangement

best bet is to go for separate chokes in rails

can't write much more than I already did

mentioned types- also can't comment from experience, simply not so often to see them in my neck of wood; and why should I when I can get custom ones

yeah, nice example of bucking coils choke is finding NEM AI-50 thread around

or, if lazy, just looking at this

*take care of choke phases, find fun in overall schm......... and note that PSU filter here is choke input type

not for faint of heart, to devise

Attachments

• AI50.jpg
    AI50.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 53
Had a little hiccup today, was trying my new build of a miro dac and I did something and the left channel of my amp is now outputting 40 volts of dc. I have the channel pulled out of the chassis. I can see q1 and q2 are both blown. Anything else anyone can think of that might be a problem. ZD1,2,3 measure ok, M2 and Q9 measure fine. This was a SET build as well.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I built a dandy cap recharging wand. Copper rod, 3 watt 100 ohm resistor soldered to copper rod, other end with lead to ground to chassis, the entire thing insulated triple thick.

How long does this wand (or any resistor) to uncharge the caps. Other than hook it up and see what happens, 😀 not sure when it is discharged. A dmm seems to run all over the place, how to tell if dead besides sticking tongue on it! I'm stupid, but not that stupid.

Russellc