Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I can include Coffee maker, grinder, and also mid size robot vacuum cleaner in BigBadaBoom amp schematic :rofl:

I can't care less for Greedy Boyz having high gain preamps, when thinking of amp with regular gain ......... :devilr:

I can make in a day power follower 200W+ amp schematic, but then you guys are not going to have preamp potent enough to drive it .... especially taking in account fact that majority of high swing preamps are not balanced

so, 100 Greedy Boyz, 101 pairs of tits ......... even Mighty ZM isn't capable of grooming all of these

View attachment 1269400
My wants and needs are simple, when time is right. Have learned to stand back and wait for corrections to come. My sissy sit boards are from time when both sissy and M25 were same board. Think I'm going to remove the sissy parts and reinstall the m25 parts.

I want all mosfet puck version of XA 252 supersymmetry, balanced, or whatever you call it,
100 watt (or more) mono block. Gonna wait till smoke clears on that one! 😜 😁 Sort of butting in front of BBA3.....may go with deluxe 4Ux500 cases, but all my other "big" amps are in 5U deluxe cases. Guess I should get them while available

Question for both diy store and modushop:

My latest Deluxe 5U case had different screws to hold top and bottom panels on. Sort of a pan head screw whose head appears to sit on washer, with driver head instead of Phillips.

I hope all cases have these going forward. I would like to replace all my amps top and bottom panel screws with these. They do not seem to mar the finish like the regular Phillips head pan head screws. My Zen Mod Iron Pre case has the old style. So wondered if a fluke?

What are those called? To McMaster carr!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
^ That's the mosfet (base) version, right? How much power does it put out? Similar to the NP XA25?

I don't know if I've posted the 252SIT... after some initial trepidation and after the upgrade to the 8V diodes...

I've got it hooked up to a CJ ET3SE... and 90db Audio Notes. AN-K/LX

The bass is really tight and deep.
The treble is extended.. a lot more than the Sissy and the Alephs. I think it actually betters the F4.
The midrange is there.... clear as a bell.

Most important is the "clarity". I can really hear the separate instruments and voices in the soundfield.
And the sound is so "clear" that there is no feeling of "loudness". I think it's not loud enough only to realize it is really playing loud that I can't hear the phone (bad) or my wife ( good perhaps? ).

I think in many ways the Macho252SIT is most like an F4, but with much more drive. A lot more dynamic. Which means the sound of the preamp is what you are listening to, the amp sort of gets out of the way.

I'm also curious about the sound of the mosfet version (and other versions).

If my speakers were 95+ dB efficient, I think I'd live with the SissySIT and get off the caboose.
With 90 dB speakers, the MachoSIT plays extremely well. Almost good enough to get off the caboose and find another hobby.

I even tried the SissySIT into the Maggies, which surprised me at how well they work, At some point I will try the MachoSIT into them.

Until then, I keep thinking that I need the quad Tokin SIT amps to reach audio Nirvana.

Will bridging the Macho 252 SIT affect it's harmonic profile? Will it bring up the 3rd order distortion?

How does the mosfet and SET versions fair with the SIT version?
Remembering back to early days of F5 diying, I used tube preamp I had put together in Dynaco Pas 3 box. VanAlstein. Loved it, but all my stuff was tubes at time.

When hooked it up to F5, I noticed amp did not behave quite as well with that pre. Putting solid state in front of it stopped any and all funny business. Now solid as rock. So good I sold old McIntosh tube power amp, all power amps except my big (not that big) badda tube amp.

Wondering if luck will be better when you get to Iron Pre? Hmmm, forgot about Hickok tube tester....better pull it out and warm it up. It's been a while since last use. Nuts, just go for Iron Turtle. I keep thinking 🤔 about that one too. Maybe that instead of third Iron pre.....

@Russellc

What Zen is talking about is the ratio of R16 to R4. This is in the feedback network of the amplifier. See schematic.

100K/10K is a ratio of 10.

Using the dB equation:

dB = 20 log (V2/V1). We already know what V2/V1 is…it’s 10 as stated earlier.

So dB = 20 log (10) = 20*1

20dB.

The Aleph J has the same overall closed loop gain by the way (20dB). The M2 is about 14dB. The F5M is about 16.5 dB. The F5 is about 15.5dB.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users