Babelfish XA252 / Babelfish XA252 SIT / Babelfish XA252 SET

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I really don't want to complicate my life. I recall looking into the BA3 FE when I was thinking of getting two F4s. But then the SITs and Iron Pres and P3 got in the way. And then I went back to work. :p

Right now I'm looking at Variacs... and then I got sidetracked into lab quality power supplies.

Something that will drive an AC signal, 60Hz, 120 Hz, 20A.... and hopefully, I can use it as a Variac ramping up, or down, the voltage while clamping the current.

I ought to note another experiment... getting the parts to use the Sissy to drive a single F4 (got 8 and 16 ohm 50 watt power resistors)... I wonder, can I use the XA252 SIT to drive the F4? I haven't bothered to do the calculations but I think at 38 wpc, 8 ohms, it ought to swing enough voltage too, huh?

I need another DMM.

I need to get back to work..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Who needs BA-3 when there is an Iron Pumpkin :Pumpkin:

Well, I've never seen an Iron Pumpkin power speakers, but if we can do it with an ACP+... then why the heck not!

Now... will an F4 drive an Iron Pumpkin?! :joker:

I think I'll start asking all around the threads... Will it drive a Pumpkin? (Little known fact; Major is turned into the coach/pumpkin driver in Cinderella).

(Yes, I know you're talking about the BA-3 as a pre-amp... vs. the power amp in Russellc's picture)

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I missed that picture.

IMHO, any stereo system that has a variac, a couple of DMMs, and some boxes with cables with dubious purposes around... well, it rates a 9 out of 10.

To get a ten, you need a more complicated set up... either have a dedicated DMM on the Variac or.. a Variac with built in lights and meter. If that's a digital meter, well, it's 9.5 out of 10.

If it's one of them old fashion, Ming Of Mars gizmos, with an analog meter...well, then you got yourself an ten.

Add an HP lab supply to the mix and then you get ELEVEN.

My setup up, festooned with a Plethora of Amps, three racks of components, power supplies, etc.. well, it only rates 8 out of 10. I moved all the cables behind the racks and there's no Variac...

Now, question.... how does it sound?

I'm suddenly in need of a balanced BA3 FE to drive the F4s. I think that will do it... 35V output?
I have the required analog meter. First one I ever bought, big meter, from radio shack of all places.

I just checked bank account. Same as before 9.5 rating. Seriously, for the power you seek, I would do balanced BA3. I've got a box somewhere with everything except box and transformers. I've been threatening to build it, just XA 252 came available and I had been waiting!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
:rofl:

Who needs Iron Pumpkin when these exist: https://images.app.goo.gl/PGaSmp89AvtyvtPQ6
I need a McLaren. If I could have any exotic....
Buddy has a Maserati, Ferrari V8. He told me that monthly scheduled maintenance was around 800-900. Unless it needed tires that burned up after about 8500 miles. Oh well....worse than a boat even...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I missed that picture.

IMHO, any stereo system that has a variac, a couple of DMMs, and some boxes with cables with dubious purposes around... well, it rates a 9 out of 10.

To get a ten, you need a more complicated set up... either have a dedicated DMM on the Variac or.. a Variac with built in lights and meter. If that's a digital meter, well, it's 9.5 out of 10.

If it's one of them old fashion, Ming Of Mars gizmos, with an analog meter...well, then you got yourself an ten.

Add an HP lab supply to the mix and then you get ELEVEN.

My setup up, festooned with a Plethora of Amps, three racks of components, power supplies, etc.. well, it only rates 8 out of 10. I moved all the cables behind the racks and there's no Variac...

Now, question.... how does it sound?

I'm suddenly in need of a balanced BA3 FE to drive the F4s. I think that will do it... 35V output?
I used to drive my BA3 amp with a BA3 front end. Plenty of gain.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I have the required analog meter. First one I ever bought, big meter, from radio shack of all places.

I just checked bank account. Same as before 9.5 rating. Seriously, for the power you seek, I would do balanced BA3. I've got a box somewhere with everything except box and transformers. I've been threatening to build it, just XA 252 came available and I had been waiting!

Russellc

LOL. We're so much in the same boat.

I have a working late 70s Radio Shack voltmeter with a BIG needle.

Sometime around '06 I took it to work: I had created an interrupt handler that would toggle a 12V analog discrete and I needed to see if from ~15 feet away. So I clipped the leads to the backplane connectors and I ran my tests. Sure enough, the big needle was moving up and down nicely.

My manager saw that one day when he walked into the lab.. he was amazed.

That was the year I got a 10% raise!!! No promotion, since I was already about as high as an engineer can go in that company. But, it sure taught all the young kids that analog displays work a lot better, sometimes, than digital numeric ones.

BTW, I still have it. Every so often I replace the battery and verify the continuity check works.

Anyhow, until Alek's Biggvs Dickvs 100 wpc design comes along, it's time to revisit the dual balanced F4s.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
:rofl:

Who needs Iron Pumpkin when these exist: https://images.app.goo.gl/PGaSmp89AvtyvtPQ6

I'm into Honda.

My 76 Civic wagon had yellow shag carpeting ( Groovy baby ), the first gen Integra had pop up headlights, my 94 GSR had a redline of 8150 rpm, my '90 Prelude Type SH had torque vectoring FWD, my '02 Odyssey was an Odyssey Type R (OTR), my TLX had SH-AWD, our iMMD hybrids had (have) awesome driving characteristics, we had a FCEV, our Ridgeline/Passport have(had) torque vectoring AWD, etc., etc... Lamborghini is primarily a maker of farm tractors... Pffft...

Joined 2003
Paid Member
LOL. We're so much in the same boat.

I have a working late 70s Radio Shack voltmeter with a BIG needle.

Sometime around '06 I took it to work: I had created an interrupt handler that would toggle a 12V analog discrete and I needed to see if from ~15 feet away. So I clipped the leads to the backplane connectors and I ran my tests. Sure enough, the big needle was moving up and down nicely.

My manager saw that one day when he walked into the lab.. he was amazed.

That was the year I got a 10% raise!!! No promotion, since I was already about as high as an engineer can go in that company. But, it sure taught all the young kids that analog displays work a lot better, sometimes, than digital numeric ones.

BTW, I still have it. Every so often I replace the battery and verify the continuity check works.

Anyhow, until Alek's Biggvs Dickvs 100 wpc design comes along, it's time to revisit the dual balanced F4s.
Like ZM says, "efficient speaker"will give equivalent of 100 watts or more! The other thing and I agree try the straight up puck mosfet version. It can really give speakers a work out!

I haven't used any of my sits yet. Stand by (eventually) I need to hunt up my RS meter. It's here somewhere.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm into Honda.

My 76 Civic wagon had yellow shag carpeting ( Groovy baby ), the first gen Integra had pop up headlights, my 94 GSR had a redline of 8150 rpm, my '90 Prelude Type SH had torque vectoring FWD, my '02 Odyssey was an Odyssey Type R (OTR), my TLX had SH-AWD, our iMMD hybrids had (have) awesome driving characteristics, we had a FCEV, our Ridgeline/Passport have(had) torque vectoring AWD, etc., etc... Lamborghini is primarily a maker of farm tractors... Pffft...
Get yourself an old Triumph. Those 4bangers were tractor motors!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
got me some nice custom made 400VA Donuts today

it seems I'm going to finally case up my own 252 in Flying Furnace; huh, 11 years gone, still on shelf, powder-coated and waiting

:clown:

cylinder heads temperature measuring time

Old School, no Lambda sensors

IMG_3203-1024x682.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Come on.... I grew up with the Luftwaffe receiving short wave Telefunken... what did you grow up with?

The German stuff was stuffed with tubes, it glowed at night and it had a ton of knobs and switches. I had no clue what most of them did but it sure was cool looking. Just like that case you want to use for your amp.

It looks so, so,tech-industrial.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What is the protection modus operandi for the SIT?

When a channel shuts down but I see no smoke... music was loud, but NOT LOUD... I see LED on left side at green, good.... LED on right is orange, not good.

No smoke... very good. 8 volt diodes.

I haven't opened the top, but I have a fully ventilated lid, so I can see inside.

I'll give it five minutes... this is a true Audiophile Nervosa Amp.

Hmm still not on. I verified the preamp and sources work.