Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Hi,

I used the thin silicone thermal pad with thermal paste for the mosfet.

Is 75 degree C for the mosfet not good? What should be the ideal temperature?

I have not mount the 10mm face plate yet and will see whether the temperature will drop a bit after mounting.

Thanks.

Actually, I don't think you are supposed to use paste with thermal pads. Use paste w/ mica.

What caps are people using? I had followed the Pass FW F6 schematic and suggestions and am about to use 8x 15000µF per channel as per the schematic, so 30mF -R- 30mF where ZM suggested 33mF, so should be within suggested range? The caps look quite small on my PCB and I see other people using much larger ones. Any benefit or are those just what you had lying around?
I am using the Epcos 25V-15000µF now.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, if you have those so called Computer Grade (or something like that) , big ones with screws etc. - use them - usually much higher ripple current and impeccable behavior through entire freq. range ( Philips ones I used in few of my amps are insane, rated to zilliion amps at 20KHz)

if you don't have a purse for these, use snap in caps, as us mere mortals do in most cases

33mF/25V , either Pana or CDE or whatever - nice ones

Well, I had already ordered these ones so should be fine I think. Still mere mortal greedy boy.
Maybe I'll bump into insane Philips one day.

IMG-0228.jpg

Last edited:
silicone is not good enough

I did wrote several times - best to use Keratherm Red, (or that funny looking Alumina blocks) or plain old Mica + thermal paste

do it as soon is possible, you don't want Dodo mosfet

I replaced the silicone pad with mica and thermal paste. The temperature of the mosfet is now 65 degree C. Is it OK? The ambient temperature is 30 degree C.

Thanks.

Chose because I wanted to try Tannoy's 15" drivers.
HPD385 are a good base, with almost the same result as the more expensive Gold Monitors.
Had the occasion of buying Berkeley, but Ardens may be a better match with a 15".
Crossovers will be refurbished in a conservative way, by RFC in the UK.

ZM, regarding the cabinet, having the drivers will make me able to mount them as an open baffle ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
to my deaf ears, there is no difference between HPD385 and Gold Monitors**

major factor when evaluating any DC is that speaker is actually in proper shape - meaning aligned tweets, cones not too tired of years of ab/use, pristine surround

if you ever need few tips about xover and if you have idea about making proper cabinet, just buzz

approx 75% of info you can get about Tann DC on net is utter bullllll

few Hz difference down, that's no difference ppl are all the time talking about

majority of Tannoy related stories are having core in owner's need for boasting and showing offffffff, not to mention a fact that eeenyweeeny minority is actually having a clue what they are talking about and what they are trying to say

:rofl:

Last edited: