Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Hmm Cal....

you got me thinking the other day - looking at post #807

Curious if anyone has run 12ohm full range with sissy. I was testing out my Moth Cicadas last night and it seemed sissy was oscillating?

I didn't get sound, only odd scratching noise and a "pft pft" before I shut it down. I pulled speaker cables and fired it up and measure dc offset, normal, plugged in different speakers and normal sound. Plugged the Moths into a different amp, normal music. Tried sissy again and same odd behavior?
.. dB

I actually haven't used those speakers again and know that the default to many who use this amp are full range speakers but wonder if you and I were seeing a similar behaviour. The amp sounds great with conventional speakers that use a crossover / zobel network.

..dB

Hmm Cal....

you got me thinking the other day - looking at post #807

I actually haven't used those speakers again and know that the default to many who use this amp are full range speakers but wonder if you and I were seeing a similar behaviour. The amp sounds great with conventional speakers that use a crossover / zobel network.

..dB

Thanks for the thought db. It's not speaker specific though, happens on both crappy and nice speakers for one channel, works on both for the other.

The reason I found out on the nice speakers was because I turned on the amp with my preamp off there, but my phone on (but without music playing) when testing.

voltage across R8 (1R) ? it should be in range of 20mV

voltage at buffer output , jumper removed - you can see which pin of jumper header is on buffer's side - it should be minimal , ideally 0mV ref. to GND

also measure DC voltages at R8 (any pin) and RB (any pin) ref to GND

7. 10.02V R8 to ground.
8. 11.10V RB to ground.

Both measured with jumper removed.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
everything looking good ....... you can try to decrease 5mV to zero, with R7 trimpot ; be sure that you're measuring on proper pin ( one is buffer side , second is xformer side)

reconnect jumper and try again

if you still have motorboating , disconnect jumper and try feeding an amp post buffer - connecting some decent source (DC free please!) to amp's GND and jumper header pin at xformer side

if you tell me which channel is in case ( what's written on pcb) I can pinpoint you which pin is which , with small pic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
so , as I understood you ( you probably didn't oriented probes properly ) , there is -3V45 at SIT gate (opto pin 4 ) and -4V4 at mosfet gate (opto pin 3 ) , both ref to GND , which means you have hefty 0V95 as voltage window for opto bjt

care to take some pics of let channel pcb , so we can take a peek at ?

find enclosed little pic of relevant pins of jumper header ;
as shown on pic , upper pin is buffer's side , while lower pin is xformer's ( and rest of amplifier , downstream) side

try test with signal to lower pin ( do not forget gnd) , thus leaving buffer from story

though , logic dictates that you made some systematic mistake , same thing happening on previous left pcb and now on second ......

Attachments

• Left channel jumper orientation.png
    Left channel jumper orientation.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 330
so , as I understood you ( you probably didn't oriented probes properly ) , there is -3V45 at SIT gate (opto pin 4 ) and -4V4 at mosfet gate (opto pin 3 ) , both ref to GND , which means you have hefty 0V95 as voltage window for opto bjt

care to take some pics of let channel pcb , so we can take a peek at ?

find enclosed little pic of relevant pins of jumper header ;
as shown on pic , upper pin is buffer's side , while lower pin is xformer's ( and rest of amplifier , downstream) side

try test with signal to lower pin ( do not forget gnd) , thus leaving buffer from story

though , logic dictates that you made some systematic mistake , same thing happening on previous left pcb and now on second ......

Yes, sorry, I didn't pay attention to +/- on voltage readings.

Source connected to pin 8 of transformer & ground (w jumper removed) = music. No motorboating if source is disconnected.

Pictures coming.

Also, I never got to this point with the "old" left channel board. The capacitor got melted before I got to test for sound...

Pics...

Not my prettiest work and I did accidentally get the soldering iron on one of those boxed caps while attaching the SIT.

Attachments

• 20191001_212030.jpg
    20191001_212030.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 20191001_212038.jpg
    20191001_212038.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 20191001_212048.jpg
    20191001_212048.jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 20191001_212107.jpg
    20191001_212107.jpg