Paid Member
SissySIT, another one | Zen Mod Blog

IMG_7616.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190312_202039.jpg
    IMG_20190312_202039.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
This is the second channel I worked on. When I got in there, I had a broken off screw (from over tightening a standoff during my first F4 build) in the exact two places I needed to anchor the mosfet and SIT. To fix I disassembled the case and swapped heat sinks. Had lost both hemispheres by the end of that process. I also got an added bonus of blowing a mosfet in my F4 channel when I tried to relax and listen to the stereo after all that. Shook it around a lot and didn't think to re-bias. Fortunately I had a couple extra channels sitting around from the SSIT build.

Second channel/monoblock is looking nice and stable. Plugged in the original to get to biasing both and blew a SIT immediately upon startup. I'd tightened the SIT connections just to make sure I'd finished the build the first time (second channel wasn't tightened) and must have shorted it out. Thank god I have the supplies for 4 boards/channels.

I'm hoping it's only the SIT as it was the only thing that smoked.

I just assumed since it was flashing and smelling. Had already replaced it before reading your message. Something else is wrong with the board. Turned IQ trim pot back down to 0 and tried to rebias, just got smoke instead. Won't have any time to troubleshoot until next week. Very frustrating that it had been working for a full hour and then somehow this happened upon second powerup.

Thanks again for the help. At least one channel is ready for the next step.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it been working prior for an hour , so nothing wrong neither with pcb nor your wiring

you made some mistake during most recent connecting , or just incidentally established some shortie , due to SIT mounting irregularities

one tiny metal debris left under is enough to make a mess

you have some unknown dirt around holes on silicon pad ........

I pulled on my V- resistor to get it out of the way and kind of wonder whether the wire is touching something behind the circuit board. When I tried to power it up after replacing the SIT (w new pad), I heard some "zapping" right behind the V+ and V- connections and saw light smoke coming up... but no components looked damaged.

I'm hopeful that pulling that resistor and resoldering will fix the issue. I only touched that and the SIT mounting screws between working and frying, so maybe...