Babelfish M25, SissySIT - general building tips and tricks

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can't you just use a simple resistive voltage divider? That's what I use on the input of my Leak ST20 amp which is too sensitive. I am encouraged by your reports on sq. Can't wait to build mine

Edit - ah I see attenuation is not favoured.

Last edited:
which preamp you're using - DIY , or something else?

6SN7 is Lab tool ...... and , if you know how , any gain up to tube Mu can be made

first thing first - do you need any gain from preamp , with SissySIT

so - entire system info - room , spks, amp, preamp , sources ?
this is my pre-built self.
Simple common cathode.
Plate loaded by an autotransformer with 50% output. Built by Ciro Marzio (the author of Euridice preamp).
the fixed polarization in my case is obtained with a series of green leds (preferred to simple R and also to R + cap)
the tubes are the Treasure I talked about mounted on Teflon sheet.
the filaments are in AC in series at 12V. In input i use the Lightspeed as attenuator
Power supply is obtained with 5Y3 + CLC. All caps are made on polypropylene motorun. No electrolyte.
Great sound

Attachments

• IMG-20181119-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20181119-WA0004.jpg
    934.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 20180608_003645.jpg
    20180608_003645.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 328
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
instead of LEDs in cathode , try 1K not bypassed with cap

that way you'll have lower feedback

if you have enough voltage from source , it's easy making cathode follower with same parts

I hope you're not using Lightspeed on output of that preamp ........ it is better having attenuator in front of it

thanks ZM
I specified that I use the LSpeed in input ..... I would never do it in out.
Cathode Follower ..... mmmhh ..... I hate them.
The R on the cathode .... certainly lowers the gain but I do not think significantly .... but I try.
my self-built DAC exits 2.5 v and the analog section has a buffer. Pilot the LSpeed very well.

...Cathode Follower ..... mmmhh ..... I hate them.
The R on the cathode .... certainly lowers the gain but I do not think significantly ....
Agreed to both. ZM may disagree with my suggestion, but bascally I see 2 options that will minimally alter the sonic signature of your system:
- Add another LC140SS (you need a pair for stereo) in series with existing autoformer to make 4:1 ratio for minimal change of sonic signature (you will have noticeably more low end extension and a touch more high).
- Replace the autoformer with single ended to Line output Transformer. Something like the Lundahl LL1660 or a special order LL1680 gapped for 10 ma. A bit more change to sonic signature and output coupling capacitors are no longer needed (there is an option to retain them but I think you will prefer going without). This way you have the advantage of different ratios to choose from and galvanic isolation that usually has less noise and hum.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agreed to both. ZM may disagree with my suggestion, but bascally I see 2 options that will minimally alter the sonic signature of your system:
- Add another LC140SS (you need a pair for stereo) in series with existing autoformer to make 4:1 ratio for minimal change of sonic signature (you will have noticeably more low end extension and a touch more high).
- Replace the autoformer with single ended to Line output Transformer. Something like the Lundahl LL1660 or a special order LL1680 gapped for 10 ma. A bit more change to sonic signature and output coupling capacitors are no longer needed (there is an option to retain them but I think you will prefer going without). This way you have the advantage of different ratios to choose from and galvanic isolation that usually has less noise and hum.

nothing to disagree with - both clean solutions ...... not attenuation but transformation

I just shunned idea of any way of additional attenuation or additional xformer

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
for clearing dilemma or two ....... just make simple test , with any volume pot you have around , say 10Klog

route your source via pot directly in SissySIT and hear do you have enough SPL

if yes , any gain in line stage is practically decreasing sound quality , due to necessary over-attenuation

practically , even when 0db gain is OK/enough ,if you introduce 3 to 6db in line stage , things are still OK , regarding gain structure

edit: of course that you can measure what's practical gain of your existing line stage , to add few more details in picture :)

Last edited:
That's what I use on the input of my Leak ST20 amp which is too sensitive.

Aaah , the venerable Leak Stereo 20 = this was my carrot into the rabbit hole of high fidelity and DIY. I was given a loaner from audiophile and later managed to source a poorly treated one for myself which I then restored.

But onto current things

Such a beautiful thing to behold - finally took the time to read everything again carefully and assembled the boards. Thanks ZM for all the carefully marked packets and direction.

Had to change plans for installation, originally planned on mounting board flush to the heatsinks - but the cinemags would have caused problems for the speaker binding posts and thus bought a L-bracket ( 4mm was all I could find locally ) and mounted the boards

= power supply is tested and working as hoped but after all the cursing to get the brackets mounted, I opted for a beer and another day for testing.

:wrench: slowly but surely, I will soon have the pleasure of music.

..dB

f...................................................................
practically , even when 0db gain is OK/enough ,if you introduce 3 to 6db in line stage , things are still OK , regarding gain structure
I did repeated tests between yesterday and today to compare the introduction or removal of the preamp.
in practice removing the pre does not involve any sacrifice both in terms of signal integrity and SPL. so I'll put the pre aside and leave my Lightspeed between DAC and Sissy.

but among my tubes I also own a 12B4A (RCA) that has a very low gain ..... it will be appropriate to do some experiment

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Dear dB:

With reference to the picture of your SissySIT boards in post #295, what are the connectors you are using, are they all Molex KK ?

Have been looking around for board connectors and have come across those ... do you already have experience in using these for power and speaker connections, as opposed to only for signal input ?

Very interesting ... so far, I was only thinking of using 6,35 mm spades for power, and maybe for speaker out as well ... :scratch:

Best regards,
Claas