Babelfish M25 R.2/SET amp

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Thanks.

I was intrigued by the asymmetric current drive, what you discovered and called upside-down A class, from the M2. I thought the Babelfish M25 circuit was the most direct descendant of that, but I may have gotten lost too. It looks like SissySIT (42) circuit is an identical SIT implementation. Anyway I wanted a circuit that drives a Tokin SIT this way; Papa's final VFET board, the one with MUFF topology, drives the P-VFET asymmetrically too as I understand it, an AC-modulated current source.

So I think the amp boards are done. I'm building these as 4U/400 monoblocks with 200VA donuts, and Randy's CRCRC PS filters.

Attachments

• IMG_9215.jpg
    IMG_9215.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9216.jpg
    IMG_9216.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9217.jpg
    IMG_9217.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2020
Paid Member
It took a while, but I got the Twins to sing.

Multiple assembler errors led to some issues with bias that took me a while, with ZM's help, to get sorted. As an aside, when configuring the right channel of the Babelfish M25 R.2/SET as SissySit (42), be careful not to short the jumper needed in place of R232 to the vias underneath. Doing so will short the gate of the SIT to it's Drain. I'm not sure that's what was happening earlier but I point it out as a potential issue with right channel assembly.

Anyway, I made these using 4U-400 monoblocks which I acquired a while ago, using Randy's Aleph monoblock PSUs for power, and some 200VA Anteks I had left over from another amp.

Final bias when hot is about 2.1A/ch, +/-24V rails, so call it 100Wpc, with DC offset wandering around in the 10mV or less range. This is with 130R level shifters. I should probably use 150R so I can dial in the channels better but I'm calling it good for now. I could easily touch the SITs after an hour of play, they measured 45c by heat gun; the IRFP9140 MOSFET and nearby sink get hotter; estimated as about 60c on the FET itself by heat gun.

This amp definitely bloomed as it got hot. More detail, more thrust, the instrument notes went deeper.

Anyway, finishing these off today was my personal amp camp. If I brought them to Burning Amp tomorrow, would anyone want to put them in their system?

Attachments

• IMG_9245.jpg
    IMG_9245.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9246.jpg
    IMG_9246.jpg
    659.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9247.jpg
    IMG_9247.jpg
    668.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    702 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9244.jpg
    IMG_9244.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9243.jpg
    IMG_9243.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Sizzle and Whoosh

Spent some time backing the bias down to 1.8A when hot, as described elsewhere- much fiddling with level shifters & Iq pots. The DC offset is funny, when these things are cold it's a few hundred milivolts negative, and as the SITs get warm and wake up it goes neutral and then a touch positive, say 20-50mV. It's also funny but the channel that had the harder childhood also reaches DC stability quicker. The wandering offset had me worried but I decided to play it on main, with some watchful observation.

The sound goes from being a touch tight when cold to blooming and forward as it gets hot. I played these immediately after listening to one of Papa's F6's, on a day when I felt like my ears were easy to annoy, and the SITs sound good to me. Sizzle in the treble, and whoosh in the soundstage, is that what y'all mean by spooky? :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_9292.jpg
    IMG_9292.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9294.jpg
    IMG_9294.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 2 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The wandering offset had me worried but I decided to play it on main, with some watchful observation.

again, nothing to worry about

in general, acceptable figure for all amps, in thermal equilibrium is +/-100mV, as completely normal operationally

now, amps without actual servo action (to keep DC actively controlled) are allowed of greater DC offset span from cold to operational temperature and main criteria is that change of offset is gradual/not abrupt

from my experience , even 750mV can't harm your preciousssssss silver VC Lowther

conclusion - matter of DC Ofset is often overpriced, same as sleep; main thing is that change is gradual and behavior is strictly repetitive (staying in same observed bracket)

:rofl:

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Well, I'm still puzzled over this. Why does one channel start at -2V, settle in at about -1V7 after the various time constants have settled, and then drift over the next hour or so to +/- 30mV and stay there, whereas the other bounces around in the 30mV range from the time it's turned on until hours later? I've got DVMs on these things every time I power them up and they're very consistent. As for the grumpy channel, I've taken to waiting until the offset is in the -0V750 range or less, fully warmed up, before I connect that channel's speakers. I am >this close< to putting a speaker protector board in that one channel alone.

This isn't gate leakage, is it? It's got to be some sort of temperature coefficient effect that differs profoundly between the two SITs. The good channel is the one whose SIT saw 8A through it for a few seconds, the bad channel suffered no such insult. I'm to the point of hypothesizing that 8A worth of angry pixies "cleaned out" whatever cruft might have been in the good channel's SIT. I'm not motivated enough to swap SITs as that involves desoldering/dismounting an otherwise working pair of channels, and I don't have a spare pair of ceramic insulators anyway. Electroshock therapy on the bad channel's SIT seems barbaric, so here I am, wondering what this means, and what to do.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I suppose that you tested it with some load at output?

as long these changes are not abrupt, causing punching of speaker cone, nothing to write home about

2Vdc at 8R load ....... that's 0.5W

heat-wise, no problem even for Lowther eeny

again, abrupt changes are what's problematic; gradual and linear changes are not so

yes, SIT gate leakage; biasing mech. and crude output node voltage setting mech. are same on both channels and I can't see what there can drift in a way to explain difference between two channels

now, you know which is only way to confirm or deny that hypothesis

ahem - we can't be sure what stresses happened during assembly and troubleshooting; with electronic parts you always get some unexpected number of dormant Gremlins, and you never know what can pull them from dormancy

with time I realized that my knowledge will never be enough to explain all sorts of malfunctions I dealt with my history as repair tech.
some things I understood, some don't

example - just few days ago I was troubleshooting problematic assembly (made by someone else) of pcbs of one of my amps

I got to plausible explanation what was a root cause of problems, changed some parts to cure that, then changed some parts just for safety (logic) reasons, and then I had problem caused by one of zener diodes, which I just changed

damn thingie even measured OK with basic diode test ( didn't check it with proper zener test fixture) ........ while I just couldn't set Iq with that zd in place

replace it again , and everything works

was it dud ZD, ditto from package of new ones?

dunno, not worth bothering, if another new one is behaving

moral of the rant - checking possibility you (hopefully) get to is often demanding elbow grease; and even when you (hopefully) get to solution, in many cases you can't back-trace what went wrong/what culprit was

bummer with SITs is - replacing actual part with new one is ouch! (*****)

except in case you're having 10K++ critters on the shelf, as one of us is having

old joke, resurrected - ZM and Pa, we are having 12030 SITs on our shelves

:rofl:

***** Luckily - SissySIT is finally developed in way to force even those slightly gate-leaky SITs to behave, with acceptable mischief; try those in basic biasing/offset circuits (as -say - ZM's Red Neck DEFiSIT) , no way

Joined 2020
Paid Member
ZM, you were right, powering it up with a speaker load helped, ahem, mightily. It doesn't go much below -1V2 now. It still sounds tight and a little distorted when cold, but who cares, it sounds relaxed and full when warm. This amp made use of an ancient pair of SITs and makes them sing, despite whatever is going on with their temp coefficients or gate leaks. All good.