BA-3 Amplifier illustrated build guide

Hello everyone

I finally finished my BA-3 preamp but have some problems in right channel.

There is 8V DC offset on RCA out where it supposed to be 0vdc. My power supply is rock solid +/- 24vdc.

I am using Toshiba 2SJ313 in Q3 and Toshiba 2SK2013 in Q4.

Is it possible the MOSFET's are bad? There was no smoke or smell of burring parts at power-up.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• 20211104_131446.jpg
    20211104_131446.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Have you worked on the pots P1+P2? They set the bias voltage for the output mosfets. If one output mosfet is biased higher, you get dc offset. As it is only 8 V the mosfets are probably okay. If nothing happens when you turn P1+P2, you could measure the gate voltage on the output mosfets (R8+R9), voltage drop across R6/R7?

Attachments

• art_ba_3.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
Have you worked on the pots P1+P2? They set the bias voltage for the output mosfets. If one output mosfet is biased higher, you get dc offset. As it is only 8 V the mosfets are probably okay. If nothing happens when you turn P1+P2, you could measure the gate voltage on the output mosfets (R8+R9), voltage drop across R6/R7?

Thanks ozorfis,
I have only two DMMs on hand at present. Need to borrow another to adjust the bias.

How is channel balanced affected by the circuit/adjusted? I’m seeing a 3% skew to the right, enough to notice. I’ve already verified the source signal is correct. Is there anything I can do to center it?

In addition:
If I remember correctly, more bias means a little more gain - so check, if your bias current is the same on each channel - I could be wrong though :wave:

I played with output bias a bit, but it didn’t have an effect. I’m going to balance all the resistors you mentioned.

To clarify, is DC offset measured across R12 or R13? The guide says R12, but I’ve never seen that value swing, whereas R13 does swing and can be balanced by R10 and R11.

to SoaDMTGguy #976

Hello SoaDMTGguy,

do you want to measure the DC-offset of your BA-3 frontend -

this is measured in front of the outputcap (between R12 and C3) referenced to ground. Is adjusted with P1 and P2 on the frontendboard.

Or do you want to measure your DC-offset at speakeroutput?
P1 and P2 (Pot 101 and 102 in the schematic) on the bias-boards of the outputstage do this.

Cheers
Dirk :D

to SoaDMTGguy

This is where you measure the DC-offset of the BA-3 fronentboard.

Also keep an eye on your bias over R10 and R11. Shouldn:t be much higher than 1V. If you have enough heatsink perhaps higher.

Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• BA-3FE_measurementpoint_offset.jpg
    BA-3FE_measurementpoint_offset.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 108
  • BA-3FE_offset_measurement-at_R12.jpg
    BA-3FE_offset_measurement-at_R12.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 112
  • BA-3FE_offset_measurement-at_R12_or_at_C3.jpg
    BA-3FE_offset_measurement-at_R12_or_at_C3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 108