B200 Kef Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there.
I have bought a couple of old KEF drivers. They are of the B200 range (the SP 1054). http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/b200.html I wanted to build a pair of TL but have been informed that it's Q is too low. Does anyone perhaps have some plans for speakers containing these drivers? Or any recommendations. They seem like some nice drivers but I dont know what enclosure to use with them. Does anyone have any documentation on the SP 1044? or any other range of these speakers? I have been searching for ages.
Thanx
Neopsp

Don't know if I still have them, but I had some project sheets from KEF, might be something with a B200 in them. I do have a project from ETI (from the Electronics Digets Volume 6 No3 winter 85/86), an active two-way by Barry Porter using a B200G. This is a closed box, closed with EQ or BR. Just had that in my hand today.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Havoc said:
I had some project sheets from KEF, might be something with a B200

I have the whole set of those, but this particular B200 was never sold by itself and is only available as a pull from a set of KEF Calindas so a pre-done project is not likely to be found.

Purpose-built to be used with a B139 PR, you would be well to plug the T/S into a box design program and come up with a suitable vented box (vent substituting for the PR).

The B200 SP1022 which looks the same, with the big magnet, is the B200 that is ideal for a TL. Fried used these in his Model H.

dave

I do have a project from ETI...

Do you think that it will be possible to get a copy the plans for the active 2 way? I was wanting to build a TL but the next best thing for me was the closed box.
Could anyone tell me what happens when the Q of the driver is too low in a TL?
Thanks for the help
Neopsp:D

What drivers would you guys recomend from KEF ranges (bout the same age as the B200).
You see there is this audiophile hifi place near me that has got old replacement stock from the KEF ranges. The guy is wanting to get rid of it, and is selling it for quite cheap. Does anyone know the SP 1193?
Thanks
Neopsp

Other KEF Drivers

The KEF B139's are a great driver. I think that they had one of the most powerful motors (BL Product) of any speaker built at that time. Wireless World carried a number of designs with them, so did Audio Amateur in the 1970's. I picked up a pair of new ones about a year ago. One great thing about these speakers is that the kids (real young'uns) didn't have a dome to push in.

I personally liked the KEF B110 midrange, but they became difficult to get so I switched to Audax (and more recently Peerless).

The T27 Tweeter -- some folks swear by it, not me.

There is an ongoing discussion which parallels this somewhat on www.groups.yahoo.com -- search under LS3/5a -- the Roger-o-philiacs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: B1044

Neopsp said:
I have found some old plans of a large dual line TL with 2 SP 1044's. I dont know whether it is any good. Has anyone had some experience with these or seen some data sheets?

What is the rest of the driver designation. The SP number is a designation for a specific version of a bass driver (ie B200 SP1039). SP1044 is a designation for the standard B139. The large dual line you are talking about sounds like the Coffin.

dave

b139coffin.jpg

The large dual line you are talking about sounds like the Coffin.

Yep thats the one. The driver is the B139 SP1044. I found the driver sheet on the page as well. Thanx a lot:) What is the going price for a pair of these drivers (B139 SP1044)? I know it is hard to get these speakers (especially here is South Africa) but I would really like to build a decent sub. Has anyone actually heard the Coffin? I am quite keen.
Does anyone know of a place that sells the B139 SP1044? I am trying to get someone that is comming from the United States through to here in South Africa to get me a pair of good drivers.
Thanx allNeopsp:D

The large dual line you are talking about sounds like the Coffin.

Yep thats the one. The driver is the B139 SP1044. I found the driver sheet on the page as well. Thanx a lot:) What is the going price for a pair of these drivers (B139 SP1044)? I know it is hard to get these speakers (especially here is South Africa) but I would really like to build a decent sub. Has anyone actually heard the Coffin? I am quite keen.
Does anyone know of a place that sells the B139 SP1044? I am trying to get someone that is comming from the United States through to here in South Africa to get me a pair of good drivers.
Thanx all;D
Neopsp

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Neopsp said:
Yep thats the one. The driver is the B139 SP1044. I found the driver sheet on the page as well.

That is my site. I have most of the KEF driver spec sheets up till about 1980... just need to find time to get them all scanned.

What is the going price for a pair of these drivers (B139 SP1044)? I know it is hard to get these speakers (especially here is South Africa) but I would really like to build a decent sub.

You have to stumble across some or buy them on eBay $200-300 USD a pr. If you aren't into the nostalgia factor, for sub use for the same dollars you can get a better suited driver new. The B139 is about equivalent to a 10". On my site there are some drivers listed that might be used as a substitute in the Classic enclosures, although you would be better off starting from scratch.

Has anyone actually heard the Coffin?

Quite a few back in the late 70s. In there day they were quite spectacular. A set of the medium price 12s (Shiva, Stryke, BluePrint, Titanic...) should be better.

dave

I am quite keen.
Thanx all;D
Neopsp [/B][/QUOTE]

Neopsp, I will try to scan it and mail you. Have some patience, I still have to install the scanner, and my ISP is having problems with the mail server (not only the mail server, but that ine is so bad the warned there might be lost mails). I hope the mail server is sorted out by the time I get it scanned.

Oldie, But A Goodie.....

jam said:
Eric,

I built a pair of those about 25 years ago. Great subwoofer, from an article in Wireless World.

Regards,
Jam
These were available here in AUS as a kit in the mid seventies.
I bought mine from a garage sale for AUS$30.00 a few years ago.
I have since disconnected the crossover, mid and tweeter, and am running them via a line-level crossover 100Hz down, with a pair of Canton 12" 3-way cabinets providing 100Hz up.
This present combination (expect it to change before too long......again.... :rolleyes: ) works very nicely, and the TL subs will vibrate the kidneys, but no hint of boominess, just clean bottom end.
I like them too. ;)

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.