B1 with Korg Triode

Occasionally it will starting ringing and just continues to get louder and louder; putting the lid on solved it one time. Unfortunately, my design is hybrid power amplifier. So I have no volume pot, meaning the ringing is at full amplification no matter what my source is set at.

Like I said, I wasn't gentle with the Nutube. If I am desoldering and re-installing, I will opt for the socket this time around.

Is your ringing NuTube in a Millet NuClassD amplifier? If so, decrease the on board circuit gain (which increases the negative feedback) and that will probably cure it.

See post #34
Posted "NuClassD" amp design: 50W hybrid class-D / Korg Nutube

Ok, can you be more specific ?

Probably lots of 2nd harmonic.

;)

C'est pas évident. In a small space like mine, with full range speakers, the music has more body, more ambiance, probably due to the increase in 2nd harmonics, as Mr Pass said, but I felt the same improvement with the ACA as power amplifier. I am yet to try those setups in a larger room.

2nd harmonic do not speak to me. Is there more clarity, details, sound stage, room between instruments up/down and side ways, that kind of things I am able to understand.
Now if you say it has more "body", "flesh", "warmness"....these descriptions have no meaning to me and if it's what 2nd harmonic means then that Korg isn't for me.

2nd harmonic do not speak to me. Is there more clarity, details, sound stage, room between instruments up/down and side ways, that kind of things I am able to understand.
Now if you say it has more "body", "flesh", "warmness"....these descriptions have no meaning to me and if it's what 2nd harmonic means then that Korg isn't for me.

I had the same impressions that avdesignguru described, concerning the three "preamps". For me, soundstage, room, up/down and side ways vary with each song and recording, and speaker placement. It seems that you favor a more analytical sound, so this combinations may not suit your taste.

The best analogy I can give is camera lenses.

2nd harmonic is like a wide angle lens on a camera. Details are more obscured but it’s a nice view...you can sit back and enjoy the scene. It’s more diffuse, less precise but has greater scale and sense of where you are.

3rd harmonic is more like a telephoto lens. Detail is greater...you can examine small details. But the scene is smaller and less grand. And sometimes you can’t tell where the picture is taken or get a sense of the scene as a whole.

For you camera guys what I want is a gigapixel preamp. Wide angle (2nd harmonic) but with all the detail and ability to zoom in and see stuff on a microscopic level. Does this exist? Perhaps that is what the Uber expensive pass labs offerings have.

By the way, for photography I prefer a 35mm lens.

Well, I see things a bit differently :)

Indeed, the B1 Korg offers more airyness, more spaciality and location in all 3 dimensions. It has a lot of details and is yet very kind to the ear.

Yes, at the proposed initial negative H2 level it tends to blur somewhat complex messages or feel a bit to sweet to me, like the wide angle lense distorting perhaps. A bit too much for me on my beloved operas or complex music indeed, but also still a tad too much on most musics bare perhaps blues etc.

BUT, the amazing beauty of this device is that you can tune it. I found in my very particular case (that's "existing" ear, mind, LS, source and amp distorsion related) that reducing the proposed H2 level by probably roughly factor 4 still gave me most of that negative H2 spaciality, still gave me that H2 edge over H3, still that airyness and definition while giving me back some rawness, neutrality and lisibility on complex materials.

For me the best of both words, still very much wide lens but now with very little image distorsion and right angles are still right angle, what is there more to ask?

I found an even nicer compromise at the end, my very own, that is not really a compromise but probably nearly the best of both worlds and that is due IMHO to something I wish to outline again: Papa's device is not only a great preamp, it is also an ADJUSTABLE preamp with quite a unique adjustability / tunability.

Difficult not to fall in love with it, even more once adjusted to YOUR taste and system

I went from passive direct connection (Alps black beauty and very short cables, no cap in signal path) to B1 Korg and to my amazement I gained in dynamics, spaciality, details, flesh and colours. Yes, that last bit is very subjective, it is admittely a bit of addition, but I like it better that way and forget my engineer side, well noting I am fooled and this is not a straight wire...but so right and addictive to my ears :)

All just IMHO

Claude

Thanks you all of you to have spared me some time with your feelings. The photographic analogy speak to me as I started photography some 55 years ago to a pro level.
In fact you are all smart guys, you say just enough to tempt me trying and see for myself :D ....well done! :):)

For Nelson:
One question come to mind, why didn't you build/play with tube amps under First Watt ? I guess this has been asked long ago and you have expressed it somewhere.

Well, I see things a bit differently :)

Indeed, the B1 Korg offers more airyness, more spaciality and location in all 3 dimensions. It has a lot of details and is yet very kind to the ear.

Yes, at the proposed initial negative H2 level it tends to blur somewhat complex messages or feel a bit to sweet to me, like the wide angle lense distorting perhaps. A bit too much for me on my beloved operas or complex music indeed, but also still a tad too much on most musics bare perhaps blues etc.

BUT, the amazing beauty of this device is that you can tune it. I found in my very particular case (that's "existing" ear, mind, LS, source and amp distorsion related) that reducing the proposed H2 level by probably roughly factor 4 still gave me most of that negative H2 spaciality, still gave me that H2 edge over H3, still that airyness and definition while giving me back some rawness, neutrality and lisibility on complex materials.

For me the best of both words, still very much wide lens but now with very little image distorsion and right angles are still right angle, what is there more to ask?

I found an even nicer compromise at the end, my very own, that is not really a compromise but probably nearly the best of both worlds and that is due IMHO to something I wish to outline again: Papa's device is not only a great preamp, it is also an ADJUSTABLE preamp with quite a unique adjustability / tunability.

Difficult not to fall in love with it, even more once adjusted to YOUR taste and system

I went from passive direct connection (Alps black beauty and very short cables, no cap in signal path) to B1 Korg and to my amazement I gained in dynamics, spaciality, details, flesh and colours. Yes, that last bit is very subjective, it is admittely a bit of addition, but I like it better that way and forget my engineer side, well noting I am fooled and this is not a straight wire...but so right and addictive to my ears :)

All just IMHO

Claude
Hi Claude ,

Thank’s for this interesting feedback. In fact my system is run today using a passive preamp. Every time I have used an active preamp I did gained body , dynamics and better image however I did loose on transparency ( too much to my taste this is why I still stay with the passive preamp.
As you know I have the project to build this b1 Korg, I am waiting to receive the pcb and fet set .

Cheers

Jean-Michel

Here is the system I put together using the B1. The amps are d-class using Anaview modules and the phono pre is a VAT PH16 kit.

sunroom030320.jpg

Nice system Wardsweb,
What are your Anaview modules? How do they sound compared to nice A/B and classA amps? Is it better than the TPA3116 modules? I hope so!!! I am not at all convinced with 3116, even tweaked, but I read a lot of good reviews about Anaview...
Sadly, the AMS series is not in production anymore. Some say that the ALC series is good... a few reputated brands use them.

Nice system Wardsweb,
What are your Anaview modules? How do they sound compared to nice A/B and classA amps? Is it better than the TPA3116 modules? I hope so!!! I am not at all convinced with 3116, even tweaked, but I read a lot of good reviews about Anaview...
Sadly, the AMS series is not in production anymore. Some say that the ALC series is good... a few reputated brands use them.

These are ALC240-2300 and are very good. Quiet, detail, dynamics and more.

Anaview D-Class ALC0240-2300 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Thanks you all of you to have spared me some time with your feelings. The photographic analogy speak to me as I started photography some 55 years ago to a pro level.
In fact you are all smart guys, you say just enough to tempt me trying and see for myself :D ....well done! :):)

For Nelson:
One question come to mind, why didn't you build/play with tube amps under First Watt ? I guess this has been asked long ago and you have expressed it somewhere.

To continue the photography analogy...

The sharpest lens is not the best lens. Photographers learn this quickly. What is more important is the character of the lens.

And the character of the Korg B1 is nice. But it depends on what you like.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The best analogy I can give is camera lenses.

2nd harmonic is like a wide angle lens on a camera. Details are more obscured but it’s a nice view...you can sit back and enjoy the scene. It’s more diffuse, less precise but has greater scale and sense of where you are.

3rd harmonic is more like a telephoto lens. Detail is greater...you can examine small details. But the scene is smaller and less grand. And sometimes you can’t tell where the picture is taken or get a sense of the scene as a whole.

For you camera guys what I want is a gigapixel preamp. Wide angle (2nd harmonic) but with all the detail and ability to zoom in and see stuff on a microscopic level. Does this exist? Perhaps that is what the Uber expensive pass labs offerings have.

Well said. :cheers:

Funny…….I just played with an exotic lens from 195X or so.....that was famous for portraits. Lens is sharp…...but still soft.
Even after todays standard it is good…...so old lenses can be very good…..like old transistors.....it seems.
The setup is shot with a cheap digital camera while the smd FET is shot with sharp/soft old lens using a DSLR as digital back mounted on an old camera.

Attachments

• DSC_3879_00001.jpg
    DSC_3879_00001.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC_4091_00001_01.jpg
    DSC_4091_00001_01.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 546