B1 with Korg Triode

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I can't tell much a difference between the Fairchild and the Toshiba in this application, the signature of the NuTube is unquestionably dominant.

It's really cool.

I'll have a photo of a populated store board soon. Complete build guide will wait until there's a pre-drilled chassis available. (Which is being worked on)

Carsten,
Sorry I can not help you.I could not find other shops.

I searched Japanese information about Nutube's microphonic noise.
Some people are using cushions, but I can not find a definitive know-how.
But,I found one unique way.
Placing a powerful magnet on the back of Nutube reduces microphonic noise.
1722 :真空管 KORG Nutube、 磁石でマイクロフォニック・ノイズを消す (第2編) | ShinさんのPA工作室
Can you understand with photographs?
When you place the magnets properly, the blue light of Nutube becomes narrow linearly and the sound improves.
The reason for this is presumed that vibration of the filament is suppressed by magnetic force.
(There are other explanations, but translation is difficult for me)
There is no explanation about side effects.

I also ordered the B1 board. I will try this magnet method later.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just want to share my new XMAS B1 Korg Triode project. I used a gutted Fender Rumble headamp chassis to hold all the goodies. The power supply consists of a 15vdc laptop brick —>DC-DC stepup converter—>capMx board—> B1 Korg. Volume adjustment is handled by one of the eBay “Dact Type” 50K stepped attenuators.
I’ve been tuned in to all the discussions about the Korg microphonic issues and how to remedy them. I have a bit of experience with the Korg from a couple of Pete Millett projects, and indeed it can be picky.
So, I tried using this:
SORBOTHANE SHEET 6X6x1/8" 150mmx150mmx2.4mm PAD SELF STICK SHEET AUDIOQUEST 3M | eBay

It has 3m adhesive on both sides. I cut a piece and installed it under the NuTube and soldered it into place. Then I cut a bigger piece the same size as the B1 board. I sandwiched the sorbothane sheet between the board and chassis floor. The mounting screws are snug enough to keep the board in place but not tight.
So far, this is the quietest implementation of the NuTube I’ve had experience with. I can hit the chassis, the furniture and even tap the tube itself without hearing the dreaded ringing :)

This was a very enjoyable project to build and sounds sweet.
Thank you Nelson Pass for your generous gift!

Attachments

• 91BEEF2B-840D-4935-A5CE-EF45D4ED25BA.jpg
    91BEEF2B-840D-4935-A5CE-EF45D4ED25BA.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 1,040
  • D09AD2C6-0C82-4FCB-A03F-BDDB8C5343F6.jpg
    D09AD2C6-0C82-4FCB-A03F-BDDB8C5343F6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,047
Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to jury-rig a simple socket for the Nutube that works well with the B1 PCB? There don't appear to be any commercial sockets for the Nutube.

(I know it has a phenomenally long life, but if one tube turns out to be excessively microphonic it would be nice to be able to easily swap it out.)

Don’t do that. If you must, try to find some socket with zero insertion force and a lever to clamp it. A la cpu sockets and test jigs etc. I hope you know what I am thinking about.

Don’t do that. If you must, try to find some socket with zero insertion force and a lever to clamp it. A la cpu sockets and test jigs etc. I hope you know what I am thinking about.

Just received the Korg 01 accessory kit from RS here in the UK. It includes a PCB + various pads (cushions) and harness/s with a special PCB socket for the nutube to plug directly into without soldering the nutube to the main board.

Comes with instruction on various mounting 'configurations'. Sorry cant upload the photos yet but will do in due course.

Carsten,
Sorry I can not help you.I could not find other shops.

When you place the magnets properly, the blue light of Nutube becomes narrow linearly and the sound improves.
The reason for this is presumed that vibration of the filament is suppressed by magnetic force.
(There are other explanations, but translation is difficult for me)
There is no explanation about side effects.

I also ordered the B1 board. I will try this magnet method later.

VERY interesting!!! Thanks for sharing! Please post your impressions once you try it.

That is an amazing find. It looks like the harmonic distortion at 10kHz goes from 0.1% to 0.015% (!!!) using either the magnet configuration in photos 1 and 2, while also significantly improving microphonics.

Does the socket require the use of the cable harness, or does the Nutube plug right in to the socket?

Its an 'ether or' option, you can solder the wire ends of the white harness to the korge board and use the supplied daughter board for the Nutube or use the supplied socket (black) and daughter board via the supplied cushions. Ive yet to implement either...but the instruction advise the use of the plastic case/holder for max efficiency and superior audio quality. 40db quieter !! with it used from applied impacts from outside?? and you end up with (an and I quote):- 'impulsive sound' ??

Good quality throughout...

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Japanese people.
Maybe Hungarians and Japonese are close relatives.
One of my very favourites film maker is Akira Kurosawa.
As well one of my very favourite actor is Toshiro Mifune.
But I really can't understand, why they chosen 2mm for pin spacing for Korg Nutubes?