B1 with Korg Triode

Similar to the pass nutube b1 but in a mono channel format. Amtrans 8.2uf for coupling caps. 1st time using them.

Attachments

• 6A4D703E-4B1C-42DC-A9A7-0CE25742676E.jpg
    6A4D703E-4B1C-42DC-A9A7-0CE25742676E.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 525
to happyrabbit

Hello happyrabbit,

nice PCBs and construction. Enjoy the sound! :hphones:

I love my B1 - NUTUBE - pre! It's a fantastic preamp!
Well worth every minute you have spent on building this nice little sound-machine!
Play with your voltage (positive/negative 2nd harmonic) and try inverting speaker polarity. I think you will be surprised what is going on. :D

Greets
Dirk

Hi cubic Incher
I didn't make it. A talented local enthusiast designed the pcb. I bought it for my buddy also.

I am going for the vanilla version just to hear the circuit. Just carbon resistors and normal silmic coupling. What papa say makes sense.. Normal materials you can judge the circuits.

My buddy is going to make the ultimate one.. So we can just switch around. I'm sure both sound great.

Hello AnthonyA
I have purchased a board that is designed to offer a little more real estate and allow for the inclusion of Boutique Components.
This version can be seen in Posts 2917 and 2922, I have a forum friend who is to carry out the assembly works, hopefully they will be won over on the
Korg B1 as the listening starts.
I have forwarded the latest information being seen onto a Local Group of friends who will have four models produced between themselves very soon.

Hello happyrabbit
Your build has got my full attention, with my usual Pre' being a Slage AVC Dual Mono, your build has drawn me in.
It is inspiring to think of the option to build a version like your model shown :cool:
My HiFi room at present has the Power Amp Mono's, close to the Speakers, and the Sources are in need of a 5 metre IC to connect to the Slagle,
when the Pre is set up close to the Mono's.
I can alternate this and have the Pre attached to the 5 metre IC and use short IC's with the sources.

If I were to have a build produced of a Dual Mono again, I would like it to be a two box design, one box per channel, to allow for the option to plug directly into the the Power Amp using a Male to Male RCA Adaptor.
I have for a long time had a curiosity to how this may effect the SQ.
Any thoughts on this method would be greatly received.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hopefully this is not off-topic. Can the recommended MEGA-328 tool be used to sort and match the FETs for the B1 Korg (and indeed, all other PassDIY designs using the low-level FETs for buffering or amplifying)?

I'm not familiar with that, but if you own a voltmeter and a battery you
can sort the fets. For the Korg circuit they don't require much precision
either....

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I replaced the caps, as described.

For the litle "review", it will be done in a few days.
It is different, better. I will tell you more later on.
As ClaudeG wrote, not day and night, but quite better.
Extensive listening is needed, to be more precise...
Hello Polaron
How much of capacitance ?
If 1uF is sufficient for good frequency response then 10uF do the same, but keep sound stage nice wide and deep
..after my test's

Interesting quality components for audio

C4GADUC5100AA1J KEMET | Mouser France

B32669C3106K EPCOS / TDK | Mouser France

Resistors no inductive version:

WNB1K0FE Ohmite | Mouser France

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/588-WNA100FET

Caps are a bit odd indeed in their behaviour, or is it our perception?

On my side, re PPP caps, I would tend to say that the smaller the cap value (while not filtering at all music frequencies), the better, at least as I found out in admittely only 2 tests. On the other hand, larger voltage values (say rating from 250V to 600V), although not needed at all (!), seemed to bring a bit extra somewhat. Tiny tiny differences though, not sure if it is due to build quality, toleances or else.

Electrolytics might benefit from increased capacitance, no clue, but as far as PPP quality caps are concerned IMHE not really. Which is good news for me at least re space and cost.

All in my humble and limited experience

Claude

Last edited:
About capacitance, I prefer to use the minimum as possible, just the necessary.
This is very subjective, but for me it is more light or airy, something like that. May be faster, that's only my way of describing it. It is personal and subjective, but for me, I know about my perception.

Soundhappy, to help you, I would give you exactly the same advice that I received from ClaudeG. Make a search in his posts. You'll find the good answers to move on. Well, I give you a good tip : See ClaudeG posts, number 2609 and 2611.