B1 with Korg Triode

sources approaching Rout of 1K and more are weaklings , calling for 50KLog volume pot

sources around 600R and lower Rout, you can use 25KLog and going lower to 10KLog

so , schematic from post #1 - you can choose value of vol pot on input ....... i

Back to my plan on adding lots and lots of channels (like 4 or 5 in total) on the LXmini. If I succeed, I wonder if that could make it a "weakling". There is no way of telling for sure until it is designed so I am not expecting an answer. :p I thought this would be a simple question and now I don't even have a question...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
sources approaching Rout of 1K and more are weaklings , calling for 50KLog volume pot

sources around 600R and lower Rout, you can use 25KLog and going lower to 10KLog

so , schematic from post #1 - you can choose value of vol pot on input ....... i

Zen Mod, what effect would result using a 50kLog have on a source with low Rout? I’ve ordered 50k pots as depicted in the Nutube PDF schematic. Any effect on sound quality?

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Back to my plan on adding lots and lots of channels (like 4 or 5 in total) on the LXmini. If I succeed, I wonder if that could make it a "weakling". There is no way of telling for sure until it is designed so I am not expecting an answer. :p I thought this would be a simple question and now I don't even have a question...

put link to (basic) schematic you want to use , and I can reply properly

Zen Mod, what effect would result using a 50kLog have on a source with low Rout? I’ve ordered 50k pots as depicted in the Nutube PDF schematic. Any effect on sound quality?
Thanks

greater the value of Volume pot , greater influence of interconnect cables capacitances and inductances
depending of source Rout , that difference is sometimes irrelevant , sometimes not ....... but say that 50K is preeety much still in safe area

Ok......then you will get an image like the many I have attached of the screen using Arta + Focusrite. Depending on the resolution of the ADC in your scope.....you might not get as good a measurement as ARTA + Focusrite and I don't think you can detect the phase of the distortion. Most cheap scopes use 8 bit resolution? .....the e.g. top-notch Tektronix use a better (higher resolution) ADC/DAC and has less noise.....but few DIY people has scopes like this :) ....PassLab has I am sure :)

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Do you have any sources that are tube output? If no, don't worry about the pot value.

greater the value of Volume pot , greater influence of interconnect cables capacitances and inductances
depending of source Rout , that difference is sometimes irrelevant , sometimes not ....... but say that 50K is preeety much still in safe area

Jim & Zen Mod, thanks for your replies!

answer to dewdrop # 2105

Hello Ed,

sorry for the late response - I had birthday yesterday. Thanks for all your wishes...

You asked for the cables I used in my B1 NUTUBE Pre to connect the NUTUBE with the pcb (if I understood the question right?).

That is a very thin braided litz wire, pure copper 0,14 mm², silver plated.
I soldered it directly to the pcb and to the NUTUBE. Those contacts at the NUTUBE are easily bended! During soldering a little care has to taken.
Then tubeshrink over the contacts of the NUTUBE.

Used the same cable (braided it myself) from pcb to the 10 kOhm potis.

Shielded NF-cables (blue ones) are from the german company Sommer Cable.
(Pretty low capacitance, OFC-copper, flexible, good price).

If you have further questions... :confused: ask

Greets
Dirk :D

answer to dewdrop # 2105

I hope you can see it on the fotos. Sometimes a few pics tell more than a tousand words.

Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• NUTUBE closeup.jpg
    NUTUBE closeup.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 715
  • NUTUBE from top finished.jpg
    NUTUBE from top finished.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 729
  • NUTUBE look inside.jpg
    NUTUBE look inside.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 736
questions about how loud is NUTUBE + M2X #2099

Hello NUTUBE - builders,

many are thinking about the question: Is B1 Nutube PreA + M2X playing
loud enough?
I only can tell you my experiences:
At the moment my B1 NUTUBE and M2X are playing together. Source is my

musicserver playing flacs (with foobar).
My loudspeakers are a selfconstruction. Easy to drive 2-way-speaker:
4 Ohm, 91 dB/W/m.
I am listening to Dave Brubeck at the moment sitting 5 meters away from loudspeakers at the laptop. The room is 10 metres x 4.5 metres.

Volume pot is at 25% and I can listen easily to the music in the hole room at

normal listening level. B1 Nutube at 50% is pretty loud.

Is Dave in the house?

I read in many posts, that many have loudspeakers with efficiencies of more than 95 dB. So I would dare to say that this combo should drive your speakers
easily. But it is a different game if your loudspeakers are 8 Ohm (gives you less drive). Many diyPass-amps half there wattage from 4 Ohm- to 8 Ohm - speakers.
I hope this helps you
Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• NUTUBE with M2X volume one half - pretty loud!.jpg
    NUTUBE with M2X volume one half - pretty loud!.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 271
  • NUTUBE volume at one fourth- normal listening level with M2X.jpg
    NUTUBE volume at one fourth- normal listening level with M2X.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 270
  • NUTUBE volume at zero.jpg
    NUTUBE volume at zero.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 680
  • NUTUBE and M2X playing together.jpg
    NUTUBE and M2X playing together.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 703
B1 NUTUBE M2X temperatures

Perhaps also interesting:

Some temperature measurements (those class a- babies heat and sun is shining in-
30 C temperature in my listening room)
B1 NUTUBE: JFets are at around 35 - 42 C (temperature) after 1 hour
M2X: measured at the outside of heatsink / where the Fet sits inside
51 C - not bad for an extra heater
But I can touch the heatsink for 10 seconds - Nelson Pass rule

The room is on 'fire' :redhot:

Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• NUTUBE JFets temperature 2.jpg
    NUTUBE JFets temperature 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,023
  • NUTUBE JFets temperature.jpg
    NUTUBE JFets temperature.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Nutube + M2X room temperature.jpg
    Nutube + M2X room temperature.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,014
  • M2X temperature at cooling fins.jpg
    M2X temperature at cooling fins.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,007
This guy added a 24R resistor to lift earth for fear of ground loops. Any cons doing this?
Nelson Pass B1 Buffer Pre-Amplifier DIY | DASK (Sound Kontrol)

"The earth is lifted by a 24R resistor. The B1 does not strictly need this when used on its own but sometimes I have tested it feeding a Vacuum Tube active stage in a separate case; such as the 12B4 pre for example. In other words I have CD Player --> B1 --> Active Tube Stage --> Power Amp. This then gives some final gain (about 5db) to drive the F5 power amp. As a result the audio earth needs to be separated from the B1 by some small R to avoid an earth loop."

I have a Meanwell AC/DC converter LRS-75-24 (75W/24V) in the drawers..

Is it possible to use this converter for the B1 Korg?
Is it safe to put it directly in the same box as the preamp B1 korg or is it better to place each in a different box to have the least possible interference ?

Thank you for your answers