B1 Buffer Preamp

Joined 2002
Paid Member
B1 Buffer

Mine...working great!
20k attenuator, relays for input-switching.

Arne K

Attachments

• b1 test.jpg
    b1 test.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2,141
improve the supply

Arne,
Suggest you improve your basic supply....

As you already have the 317, simply add the parts to build a Teddy-Reg (on the "pinkfish media" diy section) on some strip board. Quite simple really and quite a change in behaviour.

On the NS-10 thread, the CE Toole shunt reg is coming together very nicely and appears to be even better.

Which preamp????

Hi all,

I have been looking for a simple yet warm sounding preamp for my gainclone and sympatico amps.

Both sound great but perhaps a bit too clinical, especially the sympatico as it uses a LM4562 / THS4131 opamp combo in the front end.

In order to get full warm sound, I am looking mainly at tube preamp designs like these:

DIY Fidelity preamp
or
Alex's preamp

The second one is quite complicated to build from scratch (PSU is complex) and the first one is easier as it comes as a kit but quite pricey :bawling:

So I've come across the B1 preamp & Pumkin preamp and I thought they might be good alternatives.

So I am looking for a good answer to the following questions:
1) What's the difference between the two or which one is the best?
2) Are they going to be as warm sounding as other tube designs?
3) Finally what is the latest/best schematic? I would be interested in a PCB design or rough guidelines also.
:scratch2:

1) What's the difference between the two or which one is the best?
Best for what? B1 is simple, inexpensive, has a PC board available. Read the review at Enjoy the Music.com
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/first_watt_b1_preamplifier.htm
I know very little about the Pumpkin. I will let someone else comment. I doubt that either is going to be euphorically colored in the 70's tube preamp sense.

2) Are they going to be as warm sounding as other tube designs?
No. If you want a "warm, Tobie sound you are not going to find it in a B1.

3) Finally what is the latest/best schematic? I would be interested in a PCB design or rough guidelines also.
http://www.passdiy.com/order.htm

In order to get full warm sound, I am looking mainly at tube preamp designs like these:
DIY Fidelity looks like it sells ripoffs of other peoples Intellectual Property. To a certain extent all circuits have been used in the past. I draw the line when they are selling kits by using other peoples trademarks.

If you are really interested in a tube preamp,
I would check out the tube forum on DIY Audio
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=5

If you are interested in the 2 designs here, take some time and read through the threads. Great information.

HTH

Doug

Super Regulators

Hi Everyone
After reading about Naim Preamp mods it seems that significant gains can be made by using an ALW super regulator. These regulators are considered better than Naim Hi Cap power supplies.
Has anyone tried one of these regulators with the B1 Buffer?
Will the B1 Buffer experience gains similar to those experienced with the Naim buffer circuit using one of these regulators?
Thanks

Assembling a buffer without feedback and then hooking it up to high NFB opamp V-regulators doesn't sound very rational, or does it ?

You could also ask yourself why close to every major Ladida audio manufacturer is into series/shunt regulation, for example a big Johnson one

An option would be to assemble a couple of lower part costs improved Jung super regulators, also build a few Toole shunt regs which cost even less, and judge for yourself.

value of R1

Hello

I'am a new french Diyer (without experience), and I don't understand what is the exactly value of R1 in the B1 buffer:

Well, it's a 3W resistance, but 1 Ohm ?, 1 kOhm or 1 MOhm ?

Sorry, my english is not so good, but i'm sure I will understand your answer.
Thank you