B1 Buffer Preamp

Depth is quite good. Drums seem to be 15 feet behind the speakers on some recordings. My listening room is narrow so harder to judge sound stage but it seems adequate. Be sure to use high quality caps anywhere in the signal path. I user Mundorf silver/oil

Thanks again. No more questions from me. I understand that when done properly it sounds really great. A soundstage well developed in the depth direction is a very telling sign of excellent performance imho.

B1 Sound

I live in the Twin Cities MN metro.
A friend had me retrieve his Audio Research SP9 after it received routine service at the factory so I had it for a couple months.
I compared it directly to my B1 on several occasions.
The B1 was always more transparent. Always musical. Not a drastic difference but after hearing them side by side I would always stick with the B1.

B1 Sonics

I've built 3 Copies of the B1. All boards and transistors from the Pass DIY Store.
I've tried both inboard and wall wart power supplies.
My favorite one uses decent quality parts, .1uf Vishay bypass caps a Goldpoint V24 attenuator and an old Panasonic phone wall wart power supply.
In use for years now... No desire to change.

A good sign that the device is not losing the very small parts of the signal. ie good DDR.
dave

Hi ! it was just a feeling for me but now i understand this result has a technical reason ...
I am not an expert but i think that a good ability at rendering a 3D soundstage implies low noise and high linearity also for signal at low level.
Of course the listening room is fundamental to get the right perspective ... nevertheless keeping the room the same a good system should give an at least decent soundstage. The same system in a well treated room will give an excellent soundstage.

By the way, may i ask what DDR is ?:confused:

Thanks a lot for confirming a feeling of mine. I like when feelings and rationality go together ...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
By the way, may i ask what DDR is ?

DDR = Downward Dynamic Range. A term invented by the late Allen Wright to try to get people to think more techniclly abou the kinds of things that audiophilia uses terms like detail, small detail, and more.

The ability to reproduce very small pieces of information — even in the presence of a much larger signal. ie how does the device do 30–40-50 dB down.

These are the kinds of things that give flesh to voice & instrument and provide the tiny clues that allow the creation of a solid, 3D, stereo image/sounstage.

He made amps & preamps, bit is particualrily appropriate for speakers which tend to be worse than what comes before (but that is not alwaye the case).

The B1 is simple and well designed -- that means much less potential for information being lost.

dave

DDR = Downward Dynamic Range.
A term invented by the late Allen Wright to try to get people to think more techniclly abou the kinds of things that audiophilia uses terms like detail, small detail, and more.
The ability to reproduce very small pieces of information — even in the presence of a much larger signal. ie how does the device do 30–40-50 dB down.
These are the kinds of things that give flesh to voice & instrument and provide the tiny clues that allow the creation of a solid, 3D, stereo image/sounstage.
He made amps & preamps, bit is particualrily appropriate for speakers which tend to be worse than what comes before (but that is not alwaye the case).

Thanks a lot and very very interesting. Still there must be a way to measure this parameter ... :rolleyes: but i understand the concept and i think the same.

The B1 is simple and well designed -- that means much less potential for information being lost. dave

This is an undefined territory ... for instance many still swear for single ended no feedback designs implying that feedback takes out something.
I really do not know what to think. I read somewhere a term ... time constant that i did not understand at all but makes me think.
For instance the concept of delay ... up to a certain level of delay we do not perceive it ... i do not know. Impulse test on drivers i understand. I can see that a woofer is slower to react to an impulse than a tweeter and also has more ringing ... interesting but difficult
Thanks again

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks a lot and very very interesting. Still there must be a way to measure this parameter ...

If there is, i haven’t seen them. There is at least 1 thread were a technique is being developed/discussed. Stalled at this point.

This is an undefined territory ... for instance many still swear for single ended no feedback designs implying that feedback takes out something.

Its not that simple. A confluence of Class A, single transfer function (ie one output device), no zero crossing in the output transformer BL curve, the triode one of the most linear amplifying device invented by man, driving speakers that are relatively efficient and have a benign impedance curve, the amp operates in the millWatt range with vanishingly low distortion, and when stressed by significant dynamic peaks has mostly 2nd order distortion. The usual lack of feedback may be getting conflated with other things.

I have heard SETs that set the operating points for too much second and you can get a real syrupy amp.

The rare VFET/SIT SS device has a transfer curve very similar to a triode and SE amps made with these devices have much the same the same pluses as a SET. Firstwatt SIT 1/2/3 are rare examples. I love my SIT 3.

At least in the diy world we ar estarting to see SE SS amplifiers that use a transformer in conjunction with a more common MOSFET, to create an output characteristic curves close to SIT/triode.

The Firstwatt F2 has an output impedance that mimics a typical SET, so exhibits the same kind of amplifier/speaker impedance relationship as a SET.

dave

Still there must be a way to measure this parameter ...

If there is, i haven’t seen them. There is at least 1 thread were a technique is being developed/discussed. Stalled at this point.
Its not that simple. A confluence of Class A, single transfer function (ie one output device), no zero crossing in the output transformer BL curve, the triode one of the most linear amplifying device invented by man, driving speakers that are relatively efficient and have a benign impedance curve, the amp operates in the millWatt range with vanishingly low distortion, and when stressed by significant dynamic peaks has mostly 2nd order distortion.
The usual lack of feedback may be getting conflated with other things.
I have heard SETs that set the operating points for too much second and you can get a real syrupy amp.
The rare VFET/SIT SS device has a transfer curve very similar to a triode and SE amps made with these devices have much the same the same pluses as a SET. Firstwatt SIT 1/2/3 are rare examples. I love my SIT 3.
At least in the diy world we ar estarting to see SE SS amplifiers that use a transformer in conjunction with a more common MOSFET, to create an output characteristic curves close to SIT/triode.
The Firstwatt F2 has an output impedance that mimics a typical SET, so exhibits the same kind of amplifier/speaker impedance relationship as a SET.
dave

Hi Dave ! sorry for the belated reply but i have only the phone at hand during the weekend and write on the phone is a pain :eek:
Very interesting concept the transformer coupled single ended mosfet.
When so many people swear on singled ended amps there must be something of really good indeed. What sounds good is good.
I read somewhere how the first watt is the most important one for sound.
Then why not limit the single ended approach only to the first watt and from there one adopt something more standard ? i do not know if you see what i mean.
To be more clear ... will a B1 buffer preamp impose its sound to any power amp attached to it ? :rolleyes:

Yes, measuring a small signal in the presence of a large signal is basic stuff
i wonder if the above mentioned single ended amps perform well in this kind of test ... from what i understand they should. :)

Last edited:
Ginetto, I suggest reading the description of the B1 Nelson posted on the First Watt website. One thing you'll read is, "The thing here is to try to make a buffer that is very neutral."
I don't think you need to worry, "will a B1 buffer preamp impose its sound to any power amp attached to it ?"

Thanks a lot for the very helpful link One thing is sure ... with dacs that output around 2V more than enough to drive power amps to their max output who needs gain in the preamp stage ? :rolleyes:
still many preamps have V gain of 4-5 times .... unbelievable
So a good quality pot followed by a buffer looks like a godsend