B1 Buffer Preamp

Zen Mod said:

\
B1 is exactly what you need for chipamp , either it is inverted or not ;

you can rid off input cap in B1 if you feed it with +/-9V , tying input gate to gnd , instead to resistive divider on half PSU voltage , as in original B1

Thanks Zen,

My chipamp is a non inverted one : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1569138#post1569138 and these are the schematics: http://www.vikash.info/audio/p2plm3886/

I have a spare 2X18V 300 watts toroidal transformer and I wonder if I could use it with a regulator for the B1 project. I really do not understand what you mean with feeding the B1 with +- 9V. The schematics say 18V.

Antonio

Tolu said:

So, dear members: don't discuss like hell theories, talk about the sound! :att'n:

Personally I have been sitting with my F3 for months , listening , playing my instruments with music , wondering how good that amp can be .

Now just give me some days , for having some "experience " with the B1 which is playing very very well , and also let me take some pics of it to let you see.

:drink:

PS , dont forget I have also the new entry F5 ....

:smash:

Sanchez, check out the schematic for the F5 by Nelson Pass. This is as easy to build as the B1 and will probably blow your mind. I paid an extraordinarily low amount to build the F5 and you can put that toroid to good use rather than using it for the B1. Of course you could just power both of them from that one toroid, but dont waste that big ol toroid on 200ma of power for the B1. Just go get a wallwart out of your bag of old computer junk you dont use anymore.
Uriah

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
udailey said:
Sanchez, check out the schematic for the F5 by Nelson Pass. This is as easy to build as the B1 and will probably blow your mind. I paid an extraordinarily low amount to build the F5 and you can put that toroid to good use rather than using it for the B1. Of course you could just power both of them from that one toroid, but dont waste that big ol toroid on 200ma of power for the B1. Just go get a wallwart out of your bag of old computer junk you dont use anymore.
Uriah

hehe - ya mean on 20mA , not 200 ?

:clown:

A Sanchez said:

Thanks Zen,

My chipamp is a non inverted one : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1569138#post1569138 and these are the schematics: http://www.vikash.info/audio/p2plm3886/

I have a spare 2X18V 300 watts toroidal transformer and I wonder if I could use it with a regulator for the B1 project. I really do not understand what you mean with feeding the B1 with +- 9V. The schematics say 18V.

Antonio

in 10 min. I'll post re-drawed circ for you

edit :

little more than 10 min ;)

here it is : you can mount it in same case with chip/drek amp , using any type of IC or discrete voltage reg , to have nice and stable +/-9V , from same PSU ( of chipamp ) ;

dunno - probably LM317/LM337 will do the job for you , or nice discrete zenner followers

Attachments

• b1zm.jpg
    b1zm.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 5,082
Zen Mod said:
@ A Sanchez .... again ;)

build it , enjoy it ....... and think about building proper amp , for change .......

:devily:

Thanks for your replies.

Zen thanks for the schematics. Yes it seems really easy and I can put it inside the same box as you say, so I only need the few components and perforated board. I will definitely give it a try.

Ah! and yes I will definitely also build a more sophisticated amp next year. I started with a chipamp because it is the easiest way to learn to solder and to read schematics. I did start from zero not so long ago and thought that was the best way to go.

Antonio

Anyway I didnt finished to work on it as you can see there is lack of input and selector connections . I was too busy in listening to it , and mainly arranging the ground .

I have found the less noise connectin both input and output RCA ground to the chassis . The circuit ground goes to the chassis throgh the output point .

It seem to me perfectly quiet , which I consider a luck since the circuit is p2p builded .

Re: Futurelec

udailey said:
WOW, that Futurelec is really inexpensive. Great site and thanks for the link! :)
Uriah

edit: I know most of us if not all dont use tantalum caps, but check out this article HERE

Those RCAs are made by many chinese manufacturers and sold by thousands far eastern trading companies. They all look the same and the quality is fairly good.

Tanatalum caps: only Naim, as far as I know, are (were) using those kind of rabbish in audio. Very unrealiable.
In cellurar phones and other hi-tech/microsized devices are used throughout because of thier high size/capacitance ratio.
Zillions of caps required by the industry generated the "coltran war" that plagues Africa

Great you have published your B1 papers, Nelson.
thanks.

Keeep on going oldtimer. (although I am tiny bit older born in May 1951)
Very nice to see age is not something that can kill off creativity.
Good hope for all young audio diy guys.
This hobby is something they can do for very long time.
Maybe until their final breath .. on that Very Last Day ;)

Lineup - now waiting for the investigations and findings that Mr Pass will do in B2