• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AVCC 2.1 - module update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ/Brian

My new AVCC arrived here in the UK this morning nice and early which gave me time to fit them and leave to warm up for a few hours.

I already have the new Placid HD and HD BP fitted which I felt improved the sound.:cool:

Having had a listen with the new AVCC installed I must say that I’m impressed and broadly agree with Leeuwaden’s assessment.

A more balanced sound with the sort of improvement in detail and presentation that makes voice and instrument sound more believable.

It’s the same DAC but just does what it does better IMHO and for $40 it’s a no brainer IMHO.

Great work.

The Buffalo 3/Legato/Teleporter I have sounds superb and with the upgrades it keeps getting better.

Thanks again.:D

Hi Russ,

would it be possible to use one of the new AVCC modules to drive _two_ ESS9018 chips (for a dual mono setup using only one AVCC reg)? Or would the shunt semiconductor maybe run out of current?

That would be a bit more current than it is designed for. There would be no real benefit anyway. :) You would be better to leave them separate.

AVCC is good!

Well once again the TPA boys offer the step up you need. I have a Buffalo III that is a few years old. I replaced the tridents a year ago and now with the new AVCC the Buff just gets bigger.I laugh all the time when I read about someone "describes" the ESS 9018 dac sound. This dac has changed in character with almost every power supply change. So to say the 9018 sounds a certain way is silly. Thanks guys for developing this diy kit and to all the fanatics who help us make them do what we want. My Buff now has 2 I2S sources and 4 spdif/bnc inputs. I got the digital side covered. I just need to get the dsd to play out of jriver through the amanero. There's always something!

Yesterday I installed the new AVCC module. Thinking there would be some break in, I thought I would wait a week to describe the change in sound. But, here I am only one day later -- couldn't wait!

The improvement is striking. This is what I am hearing in my system:
- better definition of instrumental textures
- better location of instruments (width and depth) in space
- overall improved sense of clarity
- very high treble seems better on many recordings (cymbals, bells, etc)
- separation and definition of instruments is better maintained at orchestral crescendos
- no change in rhythm and pace, which was already good.

Very nice! Well done, Twisted Pear people.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yesterday I installed the new AVCC module. Thinking there would be some break in, I thought I would wait a week to describe the change in sound. But, here I am only one day later -- couldn't wait!

The improvement is striking. This is what I am hearing in my system:
- better definition of instrumental textures
- better location of instruments (width and depth) in space
- overall improved sense of clarity
- very high treble seems better on many recordings (cymbals, bells, etc)
- separation and definition of instruments is better maintained at orchestral crescendos
- no change in rhythm and pace, which was already good.

Very nice! Well done, Twisted Pear people.

Mega dittos on this one.
Can not believe I waited so long to pop for the new AVCC.

No - unfortunately changing the output to 5V is not really practical with the old version on which you would have to change the opamp and a few resistors - but even then it probably would not work well because it was not designed for that.

If your keen to try it I can give you some guidance privately. It would be no small undertaking. :)

On the new version you could probably do it just by changing 3 resistors. I could calculate those for you if you know what your input voltage range will be.

Cheers!
Russ

Dear Russ,
now that I have the newest version, I would like to modify the 2.1 one (the intermediate) to get 5v out. May you please advice the values of the 3 resistors that you're mentioning above?
Furthermore 2 kind questions: with which resistor is possible to change the current? which maximum included load?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Gianmaria

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.