Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

How to mount toroidal transformer on a wooden cutting board? I'm planning to start with wooden cutting board for my dac build to make things a little easy for me. But I'm not quite sure how to mount the toroidal transformers on the wooden cutting board. It seems there are a few mounting brackets available on aliexpress but wanted to check here first if there are some good solutions that already exist.
I want to make sure the transformers are secured on the cutting board.
Don’t know by the Hammond transformer you put at your schematic, but many transformers are supplied with two pieces of rubber and a big washer for fastening.
Then bolt you transformer to the wooden board. Preferably with a non magnetic screw like brass.
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t know by the Hammond transformer you put at your schematic, but many transformers are supplied with two pieces of rubber and a big washer for fastening.
Then bolt you transformer to the wooden board. Preferably with a non magnetic screw like brass.
How do you bolt that screw through the wood though? Drill a hole in the wood first (which tools would be needed)?

I don't know what clocks you will use, but at least for SC-Pure, Ian recommended keeping it powered permanently. If you follow this recommendation, you could skip the master-slave power connection on the SC-Pure that powers the clean side of FiFoPi Q7.
I'm using SC-Pure clocks as well. I'm currently planning to keep the system on 24X7, but I see what you mean. I will make sure the UCPure for Fifo Q7 is always on.

Hello everyone!
I've owned a few IAN Canada devices for a few days now, I see that, lots of people knows His devices very well, so I'm counting on your help and knowledge.

My kit :
1. PurePi II
2. FifoPima 1.5
3. transport Pi AES
+ Raspberry pi 4, with with last version MOODE software installed

I had a lot of problems to configure IANs transport (yes Im familiar with all instruction documents;))

Maybe you will be able to help me.

1. What drivers from Moode software are best to use with Transport Pi AES. Generic drivers doesn't work ( I2s, Hifibery), lots of misinformation in various threads even here on forum ;)

After my own testing I noticed that Hifibery DAC+, HIFi DAC+ drivers work, even for Proto DAC 1387x8, ;)
Are there any preferred ones? The best?
Something else then listed above?

2 question more important.
I have several different DACs at home, the IAN Canada kit was supposed to be used as a digital transport( Tidal streaming mostly), but my two DACs based on TDA1541a , such as Orchid, don't work with the IANs set. There were no problems with AlloDigione. With other DACs everything is OK.
Is there any special configuration? Is there something I need to pay attention to?

Jumpers are moved, tried 3 different sets of clocks ( 22/24, 45/49) and situation is still the same, setup is ok for My Holo Spring, DAC based on AKM 4497, but not for my 1541A, ....no sound at all....

Sorry for my English, hope what I wrote is understandable ;)
Thanks in advance
Thanks, regards
Just solved and issue with correct I2S device/driver. Still can't connect Transport Pi AES+ FifoPi Ma1.5 to MHDT Orchid NOD DAC or any other DAC based on TDA1541. Can anyone confirm compatibility (and then some possible solutions) or incompatibility?
What about other DACs like PCM 17xx or PCM63. This hat + reclocker will work or not?
Anyone?

@Szach If you want to increase your chances of getting advice, I suggest you describe your situation (and question) in a more structured, polished, and detailed way. What is the exact setup of the boards, settings, driver selected, connections (AES, SPDIF, etc.), and digital signal you are playing.

You seem to have many different questions. If you throw such a mix it is difficult to respond. Start with one problem and describe it carefully.

Hi Everyone,
I have now been able to build a full functioning RPi free compact size streamer fully functioning. I would now like to expand this architecture to act as a Streamer + Dac. So I would like TransportPiAES + HDMI ProII + Dual Mono ESS Dac Board + OPA861 boards to be active. I will need to provide power independently to these boards. What would be the correct mounting order -
ReceiverPi DDC => Dual Mono Dac => HDMI Pro II => TransportPi AES => OPA861 board?

The use case here is to try out the OPA861 + Dual Mono Dac and also be able to use my existing two dacs using TransportPi AES and HDMI ProII.

Then there is the question of MLCK. This is needed by 3 boards - TransportPi AES, HDMI Pi ProII, ESS Dual Mono Dac (I would really like to use it here). Is it possible to give the MLCK signal to all the 3 boards at the same time? The FifoPiQ7 only has two MLCK outputs.

@Szach If you want to increase your chances of getting advice, I suggest you describe your situation (and question) in a more structured, polished, and detailed way. What is the exact setup of the boards, settings, driver selected, connections (AES, SPDIF, etc.), and digital signal you are playing.

You seem to have many different questions. If you throw such a mix it is difficult to respond. Start with one problem and describe it carefully.

@Spacejack everything is in my previous 2 posts.

My kit :
1. PurePi II
2. FifoPima 1.5
3. transport Pi AES
+ Raspberry pi 4, with with last version MOODE software installed ( using coax/BNC output) drivers/ I2s device: hifiberry dac+ pro

Tested 3 sets of clocks ( 22/24 and 45/49)
Issue: I have a signal and proper sound from Holo DAC, and AKM 4499 DAC, but no sound at all from my 2 different 1541 DACs, like MHDT Orchid.

Question: Is this combo reclocker + hat transport ( Fifi PiMa + Transport AES) is compatible or not with 1541 DACs?
Tried also oversampling signal trough Moode, just to 16/44.1khz but without results as well. No sound at all thought coax/BNC.

Thanks

My kit :
1. PurePi II
2. FifoPima 1.5
3. transport Pi AES
+ Raspberry pi 4, with with last version MOODE software installed ( using coax/BNC output) drivers/ I2s device: hifiberry dac+ pro

Issue: I have a signal and proper sound from Holo DAC, and AKM 4499 DAC, but no sound at all from my 2 different 1541 DACs, like MHDT Orchid.

Question: Is this combo reclocker + hat transport ( Fifi PiMa + Transport AES) is compatible or not with 1541 DACs?
Tried also oversampling signal trough Moode, just to 16/44.1khz but without results as well. No sound at all thought coax/BNC.

Thanks
Have you tested with different resolution/bit depth as input to your streamer?

My kit :
1. PurePi II
2. FifoPima 1.5
3. transport Pi AES

Thanks
In the FifoPi Ma manual i saw this. Maybe, 16 to 32 bit is enabled and needs disabling?
1712691939931.png

1712692068247.png

Have you tested with different resolution/bit depth as input to your streamer?
Unfortunately yes, 16, 24, 32 bits and up to 192khz, step by step. Jumpers for DOP also tested. At home have AlloDigione and Pi2AES rev 1.2, and everything is working perfect... Thought that maybe I need to use 22/24 clocks ( in stock are 45/49khz) but nope, that's not this case. Tested as well. Also have accusilicon AS318 clocks and they don't work too. Led from signal lock on DAC is blinking, ones per 3-4 sec, but no sound at all. MonitorPi is showing proper resolution, ECT, all LEDs are lit on both boards ( from proper I2S signal ECT) also checked different UFL cables... (got 2 with Reclocker and AES transport)
Reclocker + ProtoDac is also working properly (on both sets of clocks) cant test Transport without FifoPima so... Well. Don't have ideas what to test/change next ;)

Last edited:
Question about UcPure heat and chassis ventilation.

I'm working on my chassis design and wondering whether I should have ventilation holes. It doesn't seem like anything will be generating a lot of heat, and the clocks probably do better if they are in a warmer environment. Holes in the chassis allow RFI to intrude, and if there is a catastrophic failure of one or more supercaps, I guess I'd prefer to have this contained inside the chassis.

What have others done regarding ventilation?

Having initially started to search the market for an off the shelf streamer to feed my Holo May Dac, I came across and in fact been amazed with the idea for a DIY streamer. An Ian Canada streamer will be the one. From what I understand, Raspberries can send up to DoP128 over GPIO, but particularly PI5, due to a software issue, can’t send any DoP format over GPIO.

Question: Is indeed DoP128 the limitation for PI4? Is there any update on PI5 issue regarding DSD over GPIO?

I have a few DSD256 files in my music library and I am considering options. I am thinking for a solution (DSD over USB for HAT) where on the one side of “#35B. StationPi Pro-A Fully finished” to have:

-a Raspberry PI 4

-#19D ReceiverPi DDC, with

-Original Amanero Combo384 USB digital interface

and on the other side

-#1D. FifoPi Q7II Flagship I2S/DSD/DoP FIFO with isolator, re-clocker and ultra-low-phase noise XOs, and

-#17B. HdmiPi Pro II Flagship HDMI transport interface

Question: If the above setup is the solution (i.e. feed a HAT through Raspberry USB output), will there be a sound degrade because the USB route is preferred in order to make possible DSD playback versus DoP over GPIO?

Many thanks in advance :)

@Jaytor Not much more, nothing is getting really hot in there. How will you power the UC Pure? Tranny's could get warmer as well...Besides that I think you are golden.

PS Still enjoy your line force speaker? They are truly awesome. Kinda unobtainium these days. ;)
I'm using a custom 400VA Toroidy Audio Supreme transformer. Given the low duty cycle of charging the UcPure's, I don't expect this to get very warm. I do have one LinesrPi, but it's only sourcing a couple hundred mA at most, so shouldn't get too warm.

I'm loving my Line Forces, particular with the quad woofer towers. I'm starting to experiment with active crossovers and an working on finishing up a pair of F5m stereo amps (custom PCBs with speaker protection and DC servo) to drive them.